What does it mean to be a Cardassian? Let me list things that you may or may not know about the design of the Cardassians:
• The Cardassians create a lot of waste. This is why they have so many costs and effects that discard cards from hand.
• The Cardassians are the best affiliation at taking captives.
• The Cardassians have more short-term thinking cards. They want things now, not down the road.
• The Cardassians do not have discard retrieval.
• The Cardassians like to discard cards from the top of opponents' decks, creating more waste and “pillaging” opponents.
• The Cardassians do not have a lot of great attributes but rather 'middle of the road' attributes. This is why their attribute-gaining cards tend to last until the end of turn.
• The Cardassians should not be afraid to pay high costs for big effects.
• The Cardassians like to take advantage of non-Cardassians.
I hope that this list gives players and fans of STCCG Second Edition some insight and a better appreciation of Cardassians.