For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
CaptMDKirk wrote:
bhosp wrote:I mean, her name wouldn’t be Troi yet I guess but you get the idea
I would have a hard time reconciling Lwaxana's aristocratic airs with Number One's fairly sober portrayal... but I could see them saying it was Lwaxana's mother (or other relative). There's also the slight issue of Number One not having the Betazoid eyes, but if they're going that far, I'm sure they could explain that away (genetic disorder or whatever).
Really? That’s where you draw the “aliens look different than before” line on this show?

Also, maybe her personality changes somewhat over 90 years, you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Maybe the first time she has to introduce herself as “daughter of the sixth house, mother of dragons, breaker of chains” or whatever she’s visibly embarrassed by it.

Or maybe the first time she does it it’s because Georgiou tries to bury her in titles and she has to clap back.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
To be clear I think “Captain Lwaxana = Number One” is a long shot, but “Captain Number One” is even money.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
bhosp wrote:Or maybe the first time she does it it’s because Georgiou tries to bury her in titles and she has to clap back.
That would be amazing.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There are some Star Trek RPGs out there. So maybe a roleplayer can tell us how old betazoids can get.

You have some good ideas there. I would love to see some of them come true.

cheers

Nerdo

By lotjx2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:There are some Star Trek RPGs out there. So maybe a roleplayer can tell us how old betazoids can get.

You have some good ideas there. I would love to see some of them come true.

cheers

Nerdo
Not that old. There is zero chance Number One is Miss Troi. I know they played around with the idea of Sarek and the Romulan Commander from Balance of Terror being connected in some way. Not a fan of that either. Not everything needs to be retcon to fight casting decisions in an era where people didn't care about if an actor played another part a few months later.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:First of all, thank you Neil Timmons!

That was very well written. It was about time someone stepped forward and pictured both the things he likes and the things he doesn´t. I can say I agree with all the points and just can´t wait for the next season. I believe it should be aired in early 2019. That´s a very long period of time! The guys from the article wrote its due to technical issues with special effects. I don´t want to believe that, but I want to dive into the next season earlier. It really bothers me to wait so long.
Dunnagh wrote:After sleeping on this one night, one Thing bugs me:

Why is L´Rell able to hold everyone hostage with a Klingon PADD?

Reasons:
1) Why is she granted a speech in The Great Hall at all? She´s a nobody with noone to back her up except People the Klingons are at war with. who let her in?
2) Why is she Holding her PADD up like it means something? Is noone going down to check it out? How is she able to prove there even is a bomb? What if the battery runs low? Did Georgiou give her a charging cable?
3) Why isnt everyone instantly trying to kill her? This is no "Lost" Switch where you Need to Input your numbers every 24 hours or so. If she´s dead, noone can explode the bomb. Of course, noone knows that for sure. But: If she really wants to unite the Klingon People with "honor", would she install a dead mans Switch to kill all the Klingon People because one killed her?

This all makes no sense to me. Anyone got ideas?
Not sure, but here are my thoughts:

1) Maybe she forced her way into a war conference.
2) People always need some sort of proof. I guess they will go and scan for it. But if anyone goes to near, she swears she will push the button.
3) Would you kill her without knowing how the PADD works? Maybe she has to insert a code to stop a countdown every 24 hours. I wouldn´t risk my home planet on that. Uniting the Klingons is the goal here. Honor can be established later.

cheers

Nerdo
I asked myself the same questions.

The plot makes no sense at all. She stands there, she doesn't actually mention the PADD and out of nowhere, they listen to her.
It's silly.

Ask for the Enterprise showing up ...
First of all: they send out a distress call, but the ship seems to be in great A shape. In fact, the Enterprise approaches Discovery, not the other way around.

I would have found it more convincing, if the Enterprise had been damaged or something like that.
I know ... a distress call does not necessarily have something to do with the ship being actually damaged on its outer hull.

Nonetheless ...
It was simply a marketing ploy, the Enterprise appearing in shining light.

I am fearful about who will play Captain Pike.

Darn, I wish they cut open a time portal and let Jeffrey Hunter play it. I loved The Cage and it looks very good on BluRay.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Dukat wrote:It was simply a marketing ploy, the Enterprise appearing in shining light.
Exactly right. This isn't fan service anymore, it's namedropping.

The way I see it one of two things will happen in season 2 (and they're both bad):
  • 1) It was in fact a marketing ploy to get people to re-up their CBS All Access. They'll have some fun with it, but it won't go past episode 1. Maybe we won't even see any of the enterprise crew or just some on-screen communication.
  • 2) They try to somehow weave the Enterprise into the story. Which would be indicative of them having so little faith that the property can stand on it's own that they have to bring in known quantities to keep people engaged.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
monty42 wrote:
Dukat wrote:It was simply a marketing ploy, the Enterprise appearing in shining light.

The way I see it one of two things will happen in season 2 (and they're both bad):
  • 1) It was in fact a marketing ploy to get people to re-up their CBS All Access. They'll have some fun with it, but it won't go past episode 1. Maybe we won't even see any of the enterprise crew or just some on-screen communication.
  • 2) They try to somehow weave the Enterprise into the story. Which would be indicative of them having so little faith that the property can stand on it's own that they have to bring in known quantities to keep people engaged.
Or they could be answering the question about Spock and Burnham that fans have been asking for since the start. Is Zachary Quinto busy right now?
CaptMDKirk wrote:
bhosp wrote:I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict: the new captain is Pike’s First Officer. They’ll probably recast her (Rose McGowan?) but tbh I hope they use CGI Majel Barrett.

I have no idea how long Betazoids live so I have no idea if this would work, but I desperately hope Discovery retcons that character to be Young Lwaxana.
Wow, that would be quite a retcon. And they've certainly kept Betazoid lifespans undefined... that would be so weird.
And expensive. If they went the CGI route.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
I think the last episode really tries to wrap up a thematically tangential season Klingon War plot by returning us to the TOS Federation. The actual plot resolution was completely nonsensical and ridiculously inconsistent. So they had all the characters awkwardly just state out loud that their character arcs were resolved. Then they awkwardly gave everybody character resolution medals, literally. Then they brought us back to the Enterprise as a last resort.

BTW, the Abrams trek academy timeframe doesn't make any sense in the real universe. Spock could be on the Enterprise. I think that's why Sarek and Michael were reacting so weird. But it doesn't explain Sarek's hilariously awkward comments before hand, about how much he loves being on the bridge when a ship warps at normal speed back to Vulcan instead of using the spore drive.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
Timo wrote:
monty42 wrote:
I think the last episode really tries to wrap up a thematically tangential season Klingon War plot by returning us to the TOS Federation. The actual plot resolution was completely nonsensical and ridiculously inconsistent. So they had all the characters awkwardly just state out loud that their character arcs were resolved. Then they awkwardly gave everybody character resolution medals, literally. Then they brought us back to the Enterprise as a last resort.

BTW, the Abrams trek academy timeframe doesn't make any sense in the real universe. Spock could be on the Enterprise. I think that's why Sarek and Michael were reacting so weird. But it doesn't explain Sarek's hilariously awkward comments before hand, about how much he loves being on the bridge when a ship warps at normal speed back to Vulcan instead of using the spore drive.
I hate the last episode. I took some time to cool down after seeing it but having seen it once again I am pissed off. The best episodes were imho from the Mirror Universe.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
vlasopes wrote:
I hate the last episode. I took some time to cool down after seeing it but having seen it once again I am pissed off. The best episodes were imho from the Mirror Universe.
Wow, it's amazing how well this statement holds up if your substitute 'Enterprise' for 'Discovery'. It's like it's 2005 all over again.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
When another show makes you realize you have two...

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:When another show makes you realize you have two...
HAHAHAHAHA

Ben, you´re completely nuts. Love it!!! :thumbsup:

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
I just finished the show (watching for free), and here are some of my reactions. I haven't read all of this thread, so I don't know if I'm being original here.

- I was apprehensive when it was first coming out, owing mainly to things like the anachronistic design of the tech and the Klingons. But I chose to look past that and give it a try, and found a story I liked. Basically, IMO the writing fit the timeline, even if the makeup, costumes, and art direction didn't.
- Speaking of costumes, I wonder what the crew of the Enterprise will be wearing?
- Was anyone here thinking of Arne Darvin?
- Obvious: yeah, L'Rell is Boussh. Less obvious: Qo'nos is Iron Man?
- A lot of the overall plots of the season hang on the pivotal scene of
Burnham's meeting with mirror Voq. It's what unravels Tyler, defining his entire arc. Burnham asks for insight into Klingon acceptance of other species, which honestly I thought was going to have more payoff later in her using it to forge an alliance with AQ Klingons. But it also narratively explains her backstory. Why was she made to have a history with Sarek, being raised on Vulcan? So that mirror Sarek could touch that, and see how different she was from the TE humans that he and Voq were expecting.

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]