For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I'm tired of ranting. I'm just sad today :(

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ok, I've been watching, and have one thing to "Call" before anyone else does:

Lorca is Section 31!

No spoilers here, nothing has been revealed about him yet, but with the mindset he's shown, the Black Badges previously shown, and his willingness to be subjected to some serious shit to achieve a goal, I'm just waiting for him to be outed as Section 31.

Otherwise, I've been enjoying the ride so far, even shouting "No...NO! You DIDNT!!!" during last week's eppisode.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Credit where credit is due: I slammed last week's episode for not showing any signs of hope. That was upturned in this episode with the Mirror Voq sequence, which I thought was quite good. Shame Voq Alpha couldn't see it. Double shame they were all wiped out, which weakened it somewhat.

Extra credit: their means of getting the data chip back to Discovery was clever.

The Voq stuff and the Stamets stuff was more drawn out than the middle third of The Man In The High Castle, which drove me mad, but "The Wolf Inside" was officially better than "The Emperor's New Cloak." Possibly also better than "Crossover," but I am still debating that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I slammed last week's episode for not showing any signs of hope. That was upturned in this episode with the Mirror Voq sequence
It was a cheap plot device. A trigger to get Voq turned (which was going to happen anyway). And it didn't mean anything cuz they (most likely) all got killed in the end. Bad storytelling.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Credit where credit is due: I slammed last week's episode for not showing any signs of hope. That was upturned in this episode with the Mirror Voq sequence, which I thought was quite good. Shame Voq Alpha couldn't see it. Double shame they were all wiped out, which weakened it somewhat.

Extra credit: their means of getting the data chip back to Discovery was clever.

The Voq stuff and the Stamets stuff was more drawn out than the middle third of The Man In The High Castle, which drove me mad, but "The Wolf Inside" was officially better than "The Emperor's New Cloak." Possibly also better than "Crossover," but I am still debating that.
On the Tyler/ Mirror Voq stuff, maybe it will be a catalyst for T/oq to have a "Come to Jesus" moment and turn over a new leaf later on in the "normal" universe.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Oh and btw Emperor Georgiou (which was a blatantly obvious reveal) looked like a villain from the 90s Power Rangers show. SO BAD.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I slammed last week's episode for not showing any signs of hope. That was upturned in this episode with the Mirror Voq sequence
It was a cheap plot device. A trigger to get Voq turned (which was going to happen anyway). And it didn't mean anything cuz they (most likely) all got killed in the end. Bad storytelling.
Yeah, they might have all got Ded, but perhaps that will be another bit of plot leverage to affect, or further turn, T/oq.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:Oh and btw Emperor Georgiou (which was a blatantly obvious reveal) looked like a villain from the 90s Power Rangers show. SO BAD.
Yeah.... Yeah, I can't argue against that.

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
monty42 wrote:Oh and btw Emperor Georgiou (which was a blatantly obvious reveal) looked like a villain from the 90s Power Rangers show. SO BAD.
Did she look more "over the top" as Emperor Worf?
Obviously, These episodes - and it has always been that way - dont introduce new characters. It´s all about Meeting the characters we know in different roles. So before that Episode started you could have known who the emperor was, even more so when all the other characters appeared on the rebel planet.

I really get frustrated quickly when Story arcs are drawn into great lengths. Thats why I hated the last part of TWD season 6 where they drive aimlessly around in their van only to be captured eventually anyway. And it continued in season 7 with an Episode that circles around one Scene basically, endlessly drawn out into "who dies next" - so much that in the end I didnt care and watched it without any Feeling but relief that it is finally over. I didnt watch much TWD after that, having been a hardcore fan for 6 seasons.

Having said that, I´m REALLY glad (again) that the Tyler Voq sharade is finally over. Perhaps this is why I liked the Episode much more - it is not the Episode itself but more the direction it is giving.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Actually, she looked so much like the Emperor Of Mankind from Warhammer 40K that I assumed it was meant as a direct homage:

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Dunnagh wrote:
Did she look more "over the top" as Emperor Worf?
Obviously, These episodes - and it has always been that way - dont introduce new characters. It´s all about Meeting the characters we know in different roles. So before that Episode started you could have known who the emperor was, even more so when all the other characters appeared on the rebel planet.

I really get frustrated quickly when Story arcs are drawn into great lengths. Thats why I hated the last part of TWD season 6 where they drive aimlessly around in their van only to be captured eventually anyway. And it continued in season 7 with an Episode that circles around one Scene basically, endlessly drawn out into "who dies next" - so much that in the end I didnt care and watched it without any Feeling but relief that it is finally over. I didnt watch much TWD after that, having been a hardcore fan for 6 seasons.

Having said that, I´m REALLY glad (again) that the Tyler Voq sharade is finally over. Perhaps this is why I liked the Episode much more - it is not the Episode itself but more the direction it is giving.
I expected the Firewolf to be Mirror T’Kuvma actually.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
I like the first two mirror episodes. IMHO they are much better than the first part of the season 1. :wink:

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
That last episode was boring and completely predictable.
It's not going anywhere interesting. They have some elements that have potential, but they refuse to develop that and instead keep drowning us in tedium centred around Burnham and her entourage (plus far too much Klingon mumbo jumbo sprinkled in for good measure).

At this point, I feel it needs some fairly big changes for me to be at all optimistic about any future season(s).

And Lorca is obviously Mirror Lorca, but that's probably going to be another "big surprise" that nobody is supposed to be expecting.
KazonPADD wrote:Look at how the DS9 cast of characters grew as the series evolved - by the end of season 7, who wasn't enjoying the depth of flavor that supporting cast like Rom, Nog, Garak, Weyoun and Dukat brought to the mix? Hopefully these "semi-regulars" will likewise develop over time into a more well rounded supporting cast.
Yeah, but I see no evidence that even the regular characters will get that kind of focus.
Tilly flip-flops more than Janeway did, Saru is a one-trick pony, and Stamets has been catatonic for most of his screen time. Once they remedy all that, then I might have more hope.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Zef'No wrote:
KazonPADD wrote:Look at how the DS9 cast of characters grew as the series evolved - by the end of season 7, who wasn't enjoying the depth of flavor that supporting cast like Rom, Nog, Garak, Weyoun and Dukat brought to the mix? Hopefully these "semi-regulars" will likewise develop over time into a more well rounded supporting cast.
Yeah, but I see no evidence that even the regular characters will get that kind of focus.
Tilly flip-flops more than Janeway did, Saru is a one-trick pony, and Stamets has been catatonic for most of his screen time. Once they remedy all that, then I might have more hope.
And those are main characters, not supporting cast like Rom, Garak, and the rest! The people who should be filling the Rom/Garak/Nog/Bareil roles on Discovery are no-names like (looks up her name again) "Keyla Detmer," "Connor Wossname," and "Ensign Robothead."

As I noted to my father the other night, the show has now invested less development or characterization into Keyla Detmer than into her own mirror universe counterpart. I care about Mirror Detmer more than Disco Detmer! This is not a great sign for how things are going.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Am I the only one who is more interested in what the mirror Disco is up to in the prime universe right now than what we're actually watching?

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a di[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]