• 142 posts

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Resistance-is-futile wrote:
T-Ricks wrote:Just curious, what is the closest airport to where the venue might be located? For that matter, what part of town would the venue be in?

I believe either midway or ohare works for Chicago although I have never used midway
Midway is good if you're going downtown because you can take the train directly from the airport. Also it's the Chicago hub that Southwest flies to, so you're more likely to find a cheap flight there than you would O'Hare, though I could be wrong (usually any fare 'savings' gets eaten up by bag fees, so it's a wash at best)

Once the venue gets settled on, in-town logistics will be easier to figure out.

Also, I know scheduling is a challenge, but my one recommendation would be to avoid double-booking Day 2 if at all possible. It sucks when you're good enough to qualify for a final but then can't play.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
As I mentioned before, the top candidate for venue at this moment is Good Games Chicago. They are located near Lincoln Park on the north side of Chicago. There are several public transit lines that have stations within walking distance (although I know that definition may vary for different people). These include the Red, Brown and Purple lines for the CTA (AKA the El) and the Union Pacific North and Northwest lines for the Metra (the commuter rail). There are not many hotels in the neighborhood, but plenty downtown and I'm pretty sure Lincoln Park has a lot of AirBNB options.

Now, airports. If you want me to pick you up, please don't fly into Midway. It's an hour from my house in good traffic. :o O'Hare, OTOH, is 10-15 mins from me. Midway does house Southwest, but to be honest, I've never gotten better fares from them vs. American or United. YMMV. Neither of the airport options is all that good for getting you to the venue. The orange line runs from Midway to downtown, but you'll have to change trains to get to Lincoln Park. The blue line runs from O'Hare to the city, but you would probably need to catch a cab from the Western station to the store. It's a bit far on foot.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Venue secured! We will be at Good Games Chicago for Continentals.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
jadziadax8 wrote:Midway does house Southwest, but to be honest, I've never gotten better fares from them vs. American or United. YMMV
Not saying I will be there but for me in Tampa, Southwest would be a better deal. The airline operates about 60% of flights here without being a hub. I just checked hypothetical fares for June and found United is at least $60 more expensive than Southwest before you even consider any luggage fees or Southwest’s sale fares which occur frequently.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Jono wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:Midway does house Southwest, but to be honest, I've never gotten better fares from them vs. American or United. YMMV
Not saying I will be there but for me in Tampa, Southwest would be a better deal. The airline operates about 60% of flights here without being a hub. I just checked hypothetical fares for June and found United is at least $60 more expensive than Southwest before you even consider any luggage fees or Southwest’s sale fares which occur frequently.
Hence, the YMMV (your mileage may vary). :thumbsup:

BTW, I have a draft schedule ready. I'm floating it by some of my local players and I'll post it here as soon as I hear from them.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Draft Schedule! I'm open to suggestions for changes. I have been assured that the store will remain open after 10:00 pm on Friday, so there will be time to complete Day 2 of 1E Continentals. I'm also open to suggestions on the format for side events. I mean, we like Cool tourneys here in Chicago, but I know it's not everyone's bag. I could see doing draft tourneys or something similar Sunday instead. I have about 20 IDIC draft packs now.

Dates
June 21st – 24th, 2018

Venues
The House of Dax
211 S. William St.
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
USA

Good Games Chicago
1145 W Webster Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
USA
872-829-3194

Thursday, June 21st, 2018
First Edition Team Tournament
6:00 pm, constructed
Three rounds of Swiss play
House of Dax
Form a team of three people. Each person on the team uses their team members’ decks for one round. It is requested that team members do not all play the same deck.

Second Edition Team Tournament
6:00 pm, constructed
House of Dax
Form a team of three people. Each person on the team uses their team members’ decks for one round. It is requested that team members do not all play the same deck.

Tribbles
10:00 pm, constructed
House of Dax
Breed ‘em!

Friday, June 22nd, 2018
First Edition Continental Championships Day 1
11:30 am, constructed
Four rounds of Swiss play
Good Games Chicago
Players from all over North America (and maybe beyond) compete for the title of Continental Champion. The top four players from this tournament will go onto Day 2 of competition.

Second Edition Side Event – Excelsior Campaign
12:00 pm, constructed (limited format)
Help boost your HQ in the 2nd act of the 2018 Excelsior Campaign!

Dinner break! Mmmmmm, pizza!

First Edition Continental Championships Day 2
7:00 pm, constructed
Good Games Chicago
The top four players from Day 1 will compete for the title of 2018 North American Continental Champion.

Tribbles
7:30 pm, constructed
Good Games Chicago
Show the Friday Night Magic players how wacky we can be with some Tribbles breeding action.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2018
Second Edition Continental Championships Day 1
10:30 am, constructed
Five rounds of Swiss play
Good Games Chicago
Players from all over North America (and maybe beyond) compete for the title of Continental Champion. The top four players from this tournament will go onto Day 2 of competition.

First Edition Side Event – Format TBD (OTSD, Sealed, Block, OTF, Aberdeen Anarchy??)
11:00 am

Dinner break! I’ll look around for a nice restaurant for us in the neighborhood.

Tribbles Continental Championships
7:00 pm, constructed
Good Games Chicago
Breed your way to the title of 2018 Continental Champion!

Sunday, June 24th, 2018
Second Edition Continental Championships Day 2
10:30 am, constructed
Good Games Chicago
The top four players from Day 1 will compete for the title of 2018 North American Continental Champion.

First Edition “Cool” Tournament
11:00 am, constructed
Good Games Chicago
Build your coolest, wackiest decks for the unrated format. The coolest deck as voted by the players will receive special prizes.

Second Edition “Cool” Tournament
11:00 am, constructed
Good Games Chicago
Build your coolest, wackiest decks for the unrated format. The coolest deck as voted by the players will receive special prizes.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
sexecutioner wrote:Well this is tempting.....

2 trips to America next year methinks.
If it helps influence your decision, both members of The Mega Powers plan to be in attendance.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:
sexecutioner wrote:Well this is tempting.....

2 trips to America next year methinks.
If it helps influence your decision, both members of The Mega Powers plan to be in attendance.
Is Money, Inc coming? I smell a mega Tag Team titles match. 3-man teams? So what! Let's get crazy! I'll talk Maggie into a CC heel turn and create The Green Shield.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
KillerB wrote: Is Money, Inc coming? I smell a mega Tag Team titles match. 3-man teams? So what! Let's get crazy! I'll talk Maggie into a CC heel turn and create The Green Shield.
Heel turns, where have I heard that before???

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: