• 142 posts

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Jono wrote:
KillerB wrote: Is Money, Inc coming? I smell a mega Tag Team titles match. 3-man teams? So what! Let's get crazy! I'll talk Maggie into a CC heel turn and create The Green Shield.
Heel turns, where have I heard that before???
Some toughguy named Mirror Sean told me about them.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:For 2E NACC, 5 rounds and Top 4 is pretty cutthroat if you have 15+ players.

Will there be a threshold to bump Day 2 to Top 8 and 4 rounds?

Last year we played 6 rounds and cut to the top 4 at a 10 player NACC in one day, which felt like way too much. By the end of Day 1 you had the #1 guy playing against people mathematically eliminated. 6 rounds and a cut to top 4 all in one day was more Trek than I could handle. Without a bye, after 9 games in one day, I was pretty snappy by the end.

I am happy to see Day 1 and Day 2 separated -- at least for 2e. I think, because of that, you can be a little more flexible in terms of number of rounds/advancers. If we get 15+ players (which seems likely), I'd be in favor of 6 rounds Day 1 and cutting to top 8.

Along those lines, I think we should get rid of byes. Maybe this is a point for the new OP director. I didn't think they were particularly fair last year, and who really wants to travel to an event to sit out the first round -- even if it is competitively to your benefit?
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
KillerB wrote:Is Money, Inc coming? I smell a mega Tag Team titles match. 3-man teams? So what! Let's get crazy! I'll talk Maggie into a CC heel turn and create The Green Shield.
John and Maggie can't pull a heel turn. Nobody will cheer for a heel vs. heel matchup, and there is no way Big Kev and I aren't heels 4 Life. Money, Inc.'s team motto is Battle First Now & Forever after all.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
jadziadax8 wrote:Draft Schedule! I'm open to suggestions for changes.

Friday, June 22nd, 2018
First Edition Continental Championships Day 1
11:30 am, constructed
Four rounds of Swiss play
Good Games Chicago
Players from all over North America (and maybe beyond) compete for the title of Continental Champion. The top four players from this tournament will go onto Day 2 of competition.

First Edition Continental Championships Day 2
7:00 pm, constructed
Three rounds of Swiss play
Good Games Chicago
The top four players from Day 1 will compete for the title of 2018 North American Continental Champion.
Depending on turnout, this may be a bit sticky from a time perspective. I also think we may be doing a disservice to the 1E exclusive folks who may travel to participate, and then only play important games on one of the four total days. Personally, I don't care for the idea of having either Championship (1E or 2E) all happen on one day, and am kind of over Organized Play defaulting to the status quo of catering to the relative minority who happen to excel at both games. If I advance to Day 2 for 1E, I should have to make a decision on which game I want to play on Saturday. Especially if that means everyone else gets schedule that is a lot less squished and all the attendees have realistic timeframes for each of the main gigs / side events.

Nate also brings up a good point about the # of rounds players should be expected to play on any given day, and asking players to run through a qualifier and then play in the Championship Finals in the same day can easily lead to the most important games of the weekend being those whom are also the sloppiest played. That just seems bad form, in my opinion. :twocents:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
LORE wrote:
KillerB wrote:Is Money, Inc coming? I smell a mega Tag Team titles match. 3-man teams? So what! Let's get crazy! I'll talk Maggie into a CC heel turn and create The Green Shield.
John and Maggie can't pull a heel turn. Nobody will cheer for a heel vs. heel matchup, and there is no way Big Kev and I aren't heels 4 Life. Money, Inc.'s team motto is Battle First Now & Forever after all.
I'm cool with staying babyface. Sorry, John.
LORE wrote:Nate also brings up a good point about the # of rounds players should be expected to play on any given day, and asking players to run through a qualifier and then play in the Championship Finals in the same day can easily lead to the most important games of the weekend being those whom are also the sloppiest played. That just seems bad form, in my opinion. :twocents:
Thanks for the good feedback here Kris and Nate. This is the sort of stuff I want to know before I finalize the schedule.

I wasn't fond of the idea of Day 1 and Day 2 both being on Friday, but I also wanted to make it so that folks could do it all. I'm cool with changing things so that Day 2 for 1E is a different day. Would it be best to run both 1E and 2E simultaneously on Sunday? I think the probability is high that we'll have at least 1 person who qualifies for both days. As long as people know up front that they'll have to choose, then I will make the change.

There is a big bonus to making this change - it's waaay easier to schedule 5 rounds of 1E Friday and 6 rounds of 2E Saturday. This change would be made depending on the preregistration numbers. I'm also happy to increase the cut for Day 2 in either case.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
jadziadax8 wrote:Thanks for the good feedback here Kris and Nate. This is the sort of stuff I want to know before I finalize the schedule.

I wasn't fond of the idea of Day 1 and Day 2 both being on Friday, but I also wanted to make it so that folks could do it all. I'm cool with changing things so that Day 2 for 1E is a different day. Would it be best to run both 1E and 2E simultaneously on Sunday? I think the probability is high that we'll have at least 1 person who qualifies for both days. As long as people know up front that they'll have to choose, then I will make the change.

There is a big bonus to making this change - it's waaay easier to schedule 5 rounds of 1E Friday and 6 rounds of 2E Saturday. This change would be made depending on the preregistration numbers. I'm also happy to increase the cut for Day 2 in either case.
Depending on where you make your cut, you could do both "Day 2" events on Sunday back-to-back (with, say a Top 4 advancing for each game and then running the respective Day 2 event as a round-robin) if you are dead set on running the event(s) so one player could potentially win both gigs. I don't like it, but it is obviously up to you.

Either way you finalize the schedule, making the Day 2 events both happen on Sunday makes way more sense to me so that each Day 1 tournament can get the necessary time to be run with sufficient time allotted for a lunch break, and plenty of time for the inevitable timed games, pairing / seating logistics, prize distribution, etc.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The other option is to put the Tribbles title on the line Friday night and run 1e Day 2 on Saturday afternoon/evening. So the championships would look like:

Friday:
Day - 1e Day 1
Evening - Tribbles

Saturday:
Day - 2e Day 1
Evening - 1e Day 2

Sunday:
Day - 2e Day 2

That way you aren't moving late into Sunday, no one game is played all day, and anyone who wants to play in everything can do it.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Naetor wrote:The other option is to put the Tribbles title on the line Friday night and run 1e Day 2 on Saturday afternoon/evening. So the championships would look like:

Friday:
Day - 1e Day 1
Evening - Tribbles

Saturday:
Day - 2e Day 1
Evening - 1e Day 2

Sunday:
Day - 2e Day 2

That way you aren't moving late into Sunday, no one game is played all day, and anyone who wants to play in everything can do it.
I like it!
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Naetor wrote:The other option is to put the Tribbles title on the line Friday night and run 1e Day 2 on Saturday afternoon/evening. So the championships would look like:

Friday:
Day - 1e Day 1
Evening - Tribbles

Saturday:
Day - 2e Day 1
Evening - 1e Day 2

Sunday:
Day - 2e Day 2

I had this essentially sketched out in my previous response but deleted it all for fear of completely hijacking Maggie's tournament schedule. :-P

EDIT: Also, please be advised Worlds followed roughly the same Saturday itinerary and it was a complete shit show. If the idea is 2E Day 1 happens prior to 1E Day 2, then the 2E players need to start early in the morning or have the number of rounds cut down. Six was totally unnecessary in a field of less than 20. :twocents:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
I highly doubt that we're going to get 25+ people for 2E, therefore I'm not seeing a need for more than 5 rounds. If we have 1E Day 2 in the evening, then we'll start right at 10:00 am when the store opens. With a 30 minute lunch break, I'm estimating 2E will be done by 6:00 pm. This will give us an hour for dinner (we'll bring food in) and can start 1E at 7:00 pm. That's going to be a late day for the guys who make the 1E cut if they want to play 2E earlier in the day. It also cuts past when the store ostensibly closes. I'm getting confirmation we can stay late on Saturday. I know for sure that we can on Friday, which was one reason for putting both days of 1E on Friday.

Edited to add: they will stay to 11:00 pm on Saturday. I'm not sure that's enough time.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Naetor wrote:
KillerB wrote:For 2E NACC, 5 rounds and Top 4 is pretty cutthroat if you have 15+ players.

Will there be a threshold to bump Day 2 to Top 8 and 4 rounds?

Last year we played 6 rounds and cut to the top 4 at a 10 player NACC in one day, which felt like way too much. By the end of Day 1 you had the #1 guy playing against people mathematically eliminated. 6 rounds and a cut to top 4 all in one day was more Trek than I could handle. Without a bye, after 9 games in one day, I was pretty snappy by the end.

I am happy to see Day 1 and Day 2 separated -- at least for 2e. I think, because of that, you can be a little more flexible in terms of number of rounds/advancers. If we get 15+ players (which seems likely), I'd be in favor of 6 rounds Day 1 and cutting to top 8.

Along those lines, I think we should get rid of byes. Maybe this is a point for the new OP director. I didn't think they were particularly fair last year, and who really wants to travel to an event to sit out the first round -- even if it is competitively to your benefit?
Point not of note usage of your byes has always been optional. So if your traveling and don't want to sit out the first round you do not have to.
Byes have always been a good prize because some people will chose to travel onc they win one ie they had no plans to attend given event but on winning a bye decided to travel and they cost the CC nothing so it does no harm to yuv cthem out.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
T-Ricks wrote:
LORE wrote: EDIT: Also, please be advised Worlds followed roughly the same Saturday itinerary and it was a complete shit show.
Ouch.
My reference was to the time table, and only the time table. This is not a slight at the event organizers at all. You all did the best you could, and I have nothing but good things to say about the Orlando guys.

As literally the only person who was in Florida to enjoy theme parks and not spend days in a card store, my experience was entirely different than everyone else. Both days I was told to arrive at X time because the tournament started at X time, or in the case of Worlds Day 1, I was instructed to arrive an hour later than the start time. Both days, I was over two hours early because the scheduling was awful. One of the days I think the store wasn't even open at the time the event was supposed to start (no idea who's fault that was) and the other the venue was double booked with a crappy college band (I assume through no fault of the CC.) Claiming the schedule was anything short of a disaster, at least for me who had lots of other things to do that weekend, simply isn't true.

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]