By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TBT wrote:Face it, Matthyas, the people have choosen. Who am I to argue?
:lol:

You know, the funny thing is, I think I also picked you in my Dream Team. ;)

Kieren "The REAL People's Champ" Otton: 15
"Iron" Mike Nugent: 20
Robert "Iron Knob" Dawson: 35
Matthew "Would you like fries with that?" Townsend: 30

I was going to hold off posting my team 'till later, but meh. :P

By blinkkite
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
My dream team would be:

Michael Lou (20 Points)
"Iron" Mike Nugent (20 Points)
Kenny Nguyen/Myself (15 Points)
Kieren "Honest" Otto (15 Points)
Dennis Lee (20 Points)

Out of the spirit of competition, I refuse to pick Shane :wink: His price tag of 35 points is pretty high as well.

Q: What are the point costs based off?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
blinkkite wrote:Q: What are the point costs based off?
Good question, Kenny!

The values of each player were based upon a rough back-of-the-envelope (ok, yes, so I did use a spreadsheet ;) ) calculation of average performance of every Australian player in events played since the start of the 2009 AC. There were some adjustments to reel in the outliers, but generally, players consistently ranking highly at local events ended up with a higher value than those who were inconsistent.

One of the things that I didn't like was that while it was accurate the more games a player played, for those who had played five games or less since last year, and also those in small player groups (Perth particularly), player values were higher than I feel they should have been.

Despite this, I think that while most interstate players are bordering on over-priced, they also have a tendency to rack up the highest DT totals over the weekend, as they'll almost always participate in most events.

Someone like Daniel Hyde, for instance, valued at 55, but ranked high at both 1e and 2e Nationals, and came Top 4 at the 2e Continentals Finals. Along with a top 6 performance at the 2009 Biermeister. This year, he and all other members of Team WA look to be participating in all events across the weekend (how many of us get into the 1e or 2e Continentals Finals is another question ;) ). That's what, seven events max? That's a potential for a LOT of DT points.

Stoovie's Tip: Perth players. Pricey, but worth the investment.
Last edited by stoovie on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Yeah, Kenny seems way undervalued for his awesome Trek based powers.

And on another note, Scott Newsome is leaving for a new job on the 26th, and as such will miss this event.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Mike wrote:Yeah, Kenny seems way undervalued for his awesome Trek based powers.
I think it would be fair to say the values were determined in a similar (not the same, though) way to the way we'll be scoring DT points this year. That is, you'd be looking more at a player's overall scoring potential rather than just how good are they at the game.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My mathological powers aren't too strong, so I assume that my memory of Kenny's consistent performances is somehow incomplete and therefore my data is faulty.

Is Chris Clarke back from the US yet?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Mike wrote:My mathological powers aren't too strong, so I assume that my memory of Kenny's consistent performances is somehow incomplete and therefore my data is faulty.
Participation in bigger events (Regionals, Nationals and Continentals) were weighted higher. Kenny didn't score in the latter two of those events, so he probably lost out there big-time.

His grading score out of the 8 events he participated in (up until mid-May when I took results from) was reasonable, but would have been boosted by some appearances at the 2009 AC weekend.

Valuation of players reflects tournament history (with a weighting towards bigger events). Like the official Toyota AFL Dream Team Competition, a player's value increases based on what they show, and in our case, that includes AC appearances (as they have the heaviest weighting, being the biggest events in the country). No consideration can be given to what they could do at the big events.

If you would like, just consider Kenny one of the few good value picks of the weekend, if he lives up to all the hype some of his team-mates have been dishing out (no pressure, mate! :P ) ).
Iron Mike wrote:Is Chris Clarke back from the US yet?
Good question! From what I hear, it'd probably be a most welcome departure from the 'States ( ;) ), but from the talks I had with Chris and Lee last year, I figured Chris was a 50/50 proposition.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
blinkkite wrote:It's cool, I got this. Next year...50 Points I'll be. All or nothing :D
But for this year, Kenny Nguyen is the investment for the dream team on a budget!

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
The Revised Rob Dream Team, as Luke will be late to the Beirmesiter/might not be able to make Sunday.
35 Rob "The People's Choice" Dawson
30 Matt "The ****head" Townsend
15 Kieren "The Goober" Otton
15 Kenny "The Youngster" Ngugen
5 Troy "The Recomendation" Armstrong

Cheers to Kieren for recommending Troy. For those of you playing at home, Matt's name is a reference to some graffiti we found years ago, not just me being profane for the sake it.
Last edited by TBT on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Since noone has picked me I thought I may as well as a statement of intent and open show of confidence lol! :D

Shane Brierly 35
Mathew Townsend 30
Kenny Nguyen 15
Kieren Otton 15
Craig Giblett 5

My goal for this years continentals is clear, to gain enough respect in order to be worth more than 5 points in next years Dream Team competition LOL! :wink:

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
Ensign Gibbers wrote:Since noone has picked me I thought I may as well as a statement of intent and open show of confidence lol! :D

Shane Brierly 35
Mathew Townsend 30
Kenny Nguyen 15
Kieren Otton 15
Craig Giblett 5

My goal for this years continentals is clear, to gain enough respect in order to be worth more than 5 points in next years Dream Team competition LOL! :wink:
Lol, you can have a spot on my revised revised team, Craig.

35 Rob "The People's Choice" Dawson
30 Matt "The ****head" Townsend
15 Kieren "The Goober" Otton
15 Kenny "The Youngster" Ngugen
5 Craig "The Guy Who I've Never Met But is Going to Turn Up To The Biermeister and Score me Some Dream Team Points" Giblett

:P
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation