By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2010 Australian Continentals Dream Team Competition

Whether you're like the Australian Continental Coordinator and an avid fantasy football player, or just a casual observer from another player group afar, you'll want to enter the 2010 TrekAustralia Australian Continentals Dream Team Competition!

How to Play
The premise is simple. You pick a team of up to five players with a total value of 100 or less. You may also select up to one player not listed (unlisted players have a value of 5 each). Post your team here.

Scoring
This year, DT (Dream Team) scores will be a cumulative total of each player's average performance (Victory Points divided by the no. of rounds) at each tournament he or she participates in over the weekend. That means better performing players in shorter events will be better recognised over those who rank much lower at a longer event but previously got similar or greater scores simply because more rounds were played.

*best-of-three match-play considered one game in total with eventual winner earning 3 Dream Team points and opponent earning 1 Dream Team point

SYDNEY
Kieren Otton: 15
Steve Hartmann: 10
Shane Brierley: 35
Peter Hill: 25
Clayton Walton: 30
Daniel Waller: 25
Kenny Ngugen: 15
Dennis Lee: 20
Mike Nugent: 20
Michael Lou: 20
Scott Newsome: 5
Troy Armstrong: 5
Pete Santamaria: 5
Craig Giblett: 5
Sean Carroll: 5
Luke Roberts: 20
Pere Peta: 5
John Mandarano: 5
Steve Pascoe: 5
Neil Moreton: 20
Corin Brook: 10
Colin Lowther: 15
Nona Ruddell: 15
Ben Wynn: 15
Daniel Hallam: 5
Ben Hallam: 5
Will Herold: 5
Allan Sharpe: 5

PERTH
Matthyas Kiraly: 35
Robert Dawson: 35
Matthew Townsend: 30
Daniel Hyde: 55
Stephen Dawson: 5
Ben White: 5

CANBERRA
Chris Clarke: 65
Lee Clarke: 75

BRISBANE
Mike Jenkin-Garvey: 15

(You can name any player not on the above list for only 5 cost - maximum one such player per entry)

HOW TO ENTER: Post your entry here OR PM to Stoovie. Include the player's cost and full name in the same format as listed above for each of the players you select for your team. The winner will be determined and annouced within the two weeks after the 2010 Australian Continental Championships Weekend. Entries close prior to the first event at 3pm (GMT +10 AEST)*, Wednesday the 30th of June 2010.

*6am GMT, or 1am US EST.

PRIZES: Part of the fantastic Australian Continentals prize pool will be allocated to the winning Dream Team entry. Stay tuned for more information about the 2010 AC prize pool!
Last edited by stoovie on Sat May 22, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
stoovie wrote:Robert... not even making the finals.
And there I was thinking this was all sci-fi. Clearly, its fantasy. Your fantasy. :P

Matthew Townsend: 30
Last edited by TBT on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Introducing, the Mike Nugent Iron Men!

Shane Brierley (35)
Kenny Nguyen (15)
Mike Nugent (20)
Clayton Walton (30)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Oops! Knew I forgot something. Updated the scoring information.

Feel free to change your entries if necessary, guys. Unlimited changes are allowed until the closing time/date, at which stage I'll lock this thread (assuming I remember to do it on my iPhone while we're walking around Sydney ;) ).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
TBT wrote:
stoovie wrote:Robert... not even making the finals.
And there I was thinking this was all sci-fi. Clearly, its fantasy. Your fantasy. :P
Your Mum is my fantasy.

:shifty:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Would of loved to put a Clarke brother in it, but they are too costy for my liking. After seeing Robs performance last year, he would get a spot, but I reckon kieren is under-costed so I ended up dropping Rob for 2 sydney players.

Now for my humble team of top tier Aussies that aren't me:

Clayton Walton: 30
Kenny Nguyen: 15

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
In the main calculations, the Clarke's were pushing triple figures. Chris' success at 2 Nationals and a Continental over the last 12 months, and Lee's success-to-tournament ratio has made them both out of reach unless you can pick off a few cheapies who can pull one out of the hat come the 2010 AC weekend.

Lee and Chris were actually scaled down heavily in the final values above.

Kieren's score was let down by his average performance. The DT values awarded consistently good scores, and those that were all over the place rated pretty poorly more often than not.

Daniel Hyde (55) probably surprised me the most initially, but then I realised he rated fairly well at the 2009 AC DAY ONE and FINALS, as well as reasonable showings in the Biermeister, 1e and 2e Nationals.

Stoovie's Tip: I think last year had a few "obvious" combinations/inclusions that many picked up on. Picking interstate players, for example, as they were most likely to participate in the most events. And it worked. But this year, the values of each player dictate that many of said combinations (teams dominated by non-Sydney players) just cannot be done. Successful teams need to have an assortment of value local players. This will make selection much harder than ever before, but means there are likely going to be many different combinations that can prove successful.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
I might bring out my super Ferengi deck that can't crew a ship for the Nationals - so everyone be warned!

My picks .... based on the Sydney players that keep beating me

Shane 35
Peter 25
Kieren 15
Kenny 15

and can't help but pick myself

Steve H 10

.... my oversized ego makes me feel undercosted - shame i can't seem to back that up with a decent deck :)

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Well...I've not managed a game since last continentals and am massively behind in my knowledge of everything and might miss the sunday morning if I don't manage a finals placing for the 2nd Ed Continentals due to the fact Winterfest is on that weekend also which sucks as it clashes this year and well I would like to attend at least one of the days or partially attend...might do the camp out with the rest of my viking re-enactment group on the saturday night, I digress.

I just wanted to point the above out to Rob, who included me in his list.

My Dream Team for this year based off my immense lack of knowledge of the meta-game this past year will look like this:

Daniel Waller: 25
Stephen Dawson: 5

Cheers all,

Luke (Roberts).

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Here's my team:

Kenny Ngugen: 15
Will Herold: 5

Given the current list, Robert appears to be the fan favorite in this competition.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Mad Vulcan wrote:Given the current list, Robert appears to be the fan favorite
As is his Mum...

8)

Wow, two posts about Robert's Mum on the same page of a thread! That's gotta be a record for me... ;)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
TBT wrote:
The Mad Vulcan wrote:Given the current list, Robert appears to be the fan favorite in this competition.
What can I say? The people love me :wink: :P
And by "the people", you mean "a select group of internet forum users who have been fortunate enough at this stage not to have met you in person"? :lol:

;)

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
stoovie wrote:
TBT wrote:
The Mad Vulcan wrote:Given the current list, Robert appears to be the fan favorite in this competition.
What can I say? The people love me :wink: :P
And by "the people", you mean "a select group of internet forum users who have been fortunate enough at this stage not to have met you in person"? :lol:

;)
Hey, everyone who has chosen me thus far has either met me or played me on Skype.

Face it, Matthyas, the people have choosen. Who am I to argue?

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!