Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Spillover from another discussion, nobody could provide an official ruling so... here it is again:

Martia, Duplicitous Chameloid - "This personnel gains one skill and one keyword from one of your personnel present."

Say you're playing a romulan deck and thanks to some Brainwashing, you've grabbed a drone with Interlink (like Cartography Drone).

If Martia grabs the interlink keyword from your stolen drone, can she then have your Borg present (say some NA ones like Morik) gain skills?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Nate Winchester wrote:Spillover from another discussion, nobody could provide an official ruling so... here it is again:

Martia, Duplicitous Chameloid - "This personnel gains one skill and one keyword from one of your personnel present."

Say you're playing a romulan deck and thanks to some Brainwashing, you've grabbed a drone with Interlink (like Cartography Drone).

If Martia grabs the interlink keyword from your stolen drone, can she then have your Borg present (say some NA ones like Morik) gain skills?
I don't see why not. Interlink: [Skill] is a keyword (note that Martia couldn't actually gain a skill from this guy), and if you happen to have Borg hanging around, it says 'Borg' and not ' [Bor] personnel' so I'd rule that you could.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm sure Kirk could answer that. He'd certainly have investigated the possibility.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
As far as I know Martia can get a Skill "Engineer" and the Keyword "Interlink: Astrometrics." from a brainwashed Cartography Drone.
But "(While this personnel is attempting a mission, you may discard the top card of your deck to make each of your Borg gain Astrometrics until the end of that mission attempt.)" is not part of that Keyword, just game text.
Without that text "Interlink: Astrometrics." doesn't do anything. It's just another keyword without any function.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... k&fid[]=14

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: I don't see why not. Interlink: [Skill] is a keyword (note that Martia couldn't actually gain a skill from this guy), and if you happen to have Borg hanging around, it says 'Borg' and not ' [Bor] personnel' so I'd rule that you could.
eberlems wrote: But "(While this personnel is attempting a mission, you may discard the top card of your deck to make each of your Borg gain Astrometrics until the end of that mission attempt.)" is not part of that Keyword, just game text.
Without that text "Interlink: Astrometrics." doesn't do anything. It's just another keyword without any function.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... k&fid[]=14
And that's the debate, whether any game text is "attached" to keywords or completely independent of them. It's certainly not helped by the text being formatted in the international symbol for "reminder text". Whichever way is decided, some formatting needs to be fixed going forward, either in the rulebook or on the cards.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
The parenthetical text describes the gameplay effect of the associated keyword. Hypothetically a keyword without the text would still perform that function, but Decipher wanted to always make sure that you only had to look at a card to know what it did without having to reference a rules document.

TL; DR - Yes she could still perform the Interlink (she "copies" the reminder text as well).

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Nate Winchester wrote:So who settles the question?
DJstormtrooper is the 2E Rules Master, he'd be the one to give a final answer on this kind of question.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
But you can always check with your TD before a tournament; if there's been no official word, then he's the one who's going to be ruling if you play that deck

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
nickyank wrote:But you can always check with your TD before a tournament; if there's been no official word, then he's the one who's going to be ruling if you play that deck
Yeah it was more of an academic question at first, but now that Borg interlink won georgia masters... maybe I'll build a romulan interlink deck to tech against it. :shifty:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Oh, and if this ever gets answered/settled, I should note that the rulebook needs to be updated too to fix a logical contradiction.

On page 9: "Keywords have no special rules associated with them, but are sometimes referenced by other cards." Shortly after, "Region: _" is listed as an example of a keyword.

Then on page 10... Region is stated as having a special rule associated with it.

Spock would not approve.
Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]

New Poster in The Void

Looking to see if we have anybody active or intere[…]

If y’all still want to get things brewing in[…]