- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
(related front-page article to go live soon)

This thread contains the information and instructions required to apply to host a Regional event in the 2016 Regional Season. Regional events are the first step on the Road to Worlds, and are held all across the world; events can be held by any play group, and can be held for First Edition, Second Edition, and Tribbles. However, this process (and thus a separate application) must be completed for each different Regional event you wish to host.

Applications open from the 10th of February 2016, and will remain open until 11:59PM (in your region) on Monday the 14th of March 2016. Late applications may be considered at the discretion of the Department of Organized Play.

Before you begin the application process, you will need the following information for each Regional event for which you wish to apply:

Your contact information
As the event organizer, we need to be able to contact you in order to support your Regional events(s). We will need your full name, your trekcc.org forum name, your email address, your phone number, and your current mailing address.

Judge's information
If you are not judging this event, you need to provide the contact information for your event's judge. (If you are judging your own event, you don't need to submit your information again.) We will need his or her full name, trekcc.org forum name, email address and phone number.

Venue's information
We will need the information about the venue that will host your Regional event. Please provide the venue name and street address; if possible, please also provide the venue's phone number and email address.

Event type
You will need to select the edition and format of your Regional event; any sanctioned format listed in section 4 of the Organized Play Guide can be selected. Event formats can be Constructed, Draft, or Sealed. Card Pools can be Academy (2E), Block (1E), Complete, Limited, Traditional, or Virtual. First Edition Rules options are Official (OTF), Open, Revised, Warp Speed, or X-List. Second Edition Rules options are Slipstream or Standard. Tribbles have only one Rules option, Standard. If you are planning to run a Draft or Sealed event, you must provide details about product provided/used and anticipated cost for participants.

Event scheduling
In addition to your first choice date and time (between 01 April 2016 and 30 June 2016 inclusive), you must provide at least one alternate date and time. The earlier you apply, the better chance you will get your preferred date.

Once you've gathered the required information, you should complete the following steps in order to submit your application to host one or more Regional events:

1. Submit your application fee.
All Regional applications are subject to a one-time, fully refundable, $25 (US) application fee; these application fees can be submitted via The Promenade. Once application fee payment is completed, locate your requisition number (from "My Requisitions") and write it down - you will need to include it in your application.

While you are in the Promenade, make sure that your shipping address is current and correct.

2. Determine your contact.
Depending on where in the world you are located, you will need to submit your application to one of three (3) different people. Each Continental Coordinator will be processing applications for their own spheres of influence, as follows:

Australia: Steve Hartmann (chompers)
Europe: Thomas Schneider (thsch)
North America: Michael Van Breemen (The Ninja Scot)

All Other Countries/Regions should submit applications to the Director of Organized Play, Kenneth Tufts (Worf Son of Mogh)

3. Submit your application.
Once you have collected all the required information, submitted your application fee and obtained your requisition number, send your application via PM to the correct contact. You may copy the following text into your application:
2015 Regional Application

Application fee requisition #:

Organizer's Name:
Organizer's Trekcc.org Forum Name:
Organizer's Email Address:
Organizer's Phone:
Organizer's Mailing Address:

(Judge's information required only if different from organizer's above.)
Judge's Name:
Judge's Trekcc.org Forum Name:
Judge's Email Address:
Judge's Phone:

Venue's Name:
Venue's Street Address:
Venue's Phone:
Venue's Email Address:

Game:
Format:
Card Pool:
Rules:

First Choice Event Date/Time:
Alternate Event Date/Time:
What happens next?
Once your application has been submitted to the Department of Organized Play, you will receive a message confirming receipt of your application and application fee. At this point, you are done with the application process. (Don't forget to submit a separate application for each event you wish to host, If hosting motile event on a single day or as a combo event over a weekend one application with all event info is acceptable.)

Applicants will be notified of the status of their applications on or before 15 March 2016. If accepted, the applicants will be provided additional instructions including details on how to list their events in the tournament system and instructions for obtaining their regional kits. Regional kits are available for a small fee and can only be ordered after the applications are accepted. In the event that an application can not be accepted, the application fees will be fully refunded.

If you have any questions about this process or these instructions, please PM your Continental Coordinator. Good luck and have fun planning your events!
Last edited by Worf Son of Mogh on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Quick questions:

1.) If I'm reading this right, there's a $25 application fee, and then the regional prize kit can be bought for an additional (and separate) fee. If my reading is correct, what is the application fee for?

2.) Is there really an issue with scheduling to the point where anyone wouldn't get their first choice?

Thanks,

-Brian

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Armus wrote:Quick questions:

1.) If I'm reading this right, there's a $25 application fee, and then the regional prize kit can be bought for an additional (and separate) fee. If my reading is correct, what is the application fee for?
The cost to run a regional is $30 USD (if I recall correctly). A single payment created issues when posting kits to some areas as it attracted importation tax. Splitting it to separate payments solved this problem. Unfortunately this solution has led to some other issues cropped us last season. There is never a simple solution to a problem.
Armus wrote:
2.) Is there really an issue with scheduling to the point where anyone wouldn't get their first choice?
The goal is to spread the events apart as much as possible so that each weekend there is a regional happening. Regional season usually increases player presence on the message boards and we'd like to encourage that. If everyone gets first choice --- we tend to get weekends with heaps of events and some with none. When moving events, OP communicates with the TD to ensure the movement is not going to create any issues so priority for when the event actually runs always lies with the TD and players they represent.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
chompers wrote:
Armus wrote:Quick questions:

The cost to run a regional is $30 USD (if I recall correctly). A single payment created issues when posting kits to some areas as it attracted importation tax. Splitting it to separate payments solved this problem. Unfortunately this solution has led to some other issues cropped us last season. There is never a simple solution to a problem.
OK so is it just a fancy way to minimize foreign tax impact on the prize kits? Because I get that. However, I'm reading it as there's an admission fee to have someone kick up the k-value of your event and give the winner a digital Regional badge. What if I don't want prize support, do I still have to pay the fee? If so, that seems a bit... off.

If there's real costs to be covered then OK, but let's be up front about what they are.
chompers wrote:
Armus wrote:
The goal is to spread the events apart as much as possible so that each weekend there is a regional happening. Regional season usually increases player presence on the message boards and we'd like to encourage that. If everyone gets first choice --- we tend to get weekends with heaps of events and some with none. When moving events, OP communicates with the TD to ensure the movement is not going to create any issues so priority for when the event actually runs always lies with the TD and players they represent.
I agree that this is a good goal, for all of the reasons that you mentioned. And I'm glad to see that at the end of the day the TDs still get to run their events when they choose. While an evenly spread schedule is ideal, more events is better than fewer events and if that clusters the calendar, then it's something I can live with - the only exception I see as being reasonable is deconflicting two geographically proximate events to maximize attendance at both, but even that should be coordinated at the local level IMO (i.e., local TDs should talk to each other before submitting regional applications so it doesn't become a headache for OP. )

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Traveler
Armus wrote: OK so is it just a fancy way to minimize foreign tax impact on the prize kits? Because I get that. However, I'm reading it as there's an admission fee to have someone kick up the k-value of your event and give the winner a digital Regional badge. What if I don't want prize support, do I still have to pay the fee? If so, that seems a bit... off.
Players will have and expectation that a regional event will award the regional promos, they are generally considered part and parcel, is it possible to have a regional event with out prize support at all, it is something that has not been considered before because frankly no one has wanted to do that before, it could also cause confusion as players could attend expecting the regional prizes as that is the norm for the events, I personally am very hesitant to separate the name from the prize kit but if it is a real issue for a group that want to run one with out the prize kit please contact your continental OP rep and we will discuss it.
Armus wrote:I agree that this is a good goal, for all of the reasons that you mentioned. And I'm glad to see that at the end of the day the TDs still get to run their events when they choose. While an evenly spread schedule is ideal, more events is better than fewer events and if that clusters the calendar, then it's something I can live with - the only exception I see as being reasonable is deconflicting two geographically proximate events to maximize attendance at both, but even that should be coordinated at the local level IMO (i.e., local TDs should talk to each other before submitting regional applications so it doesn't become a headache for OP. )
We want VERY much to give every one there first choice, and yes before moving to the back up day all possible TD should be contacted to talk about how much ti will impact them.
unless weekends are REALLLLLLLY over packed I am less concerned about that and more it's about the two close by events, and in a perfect world the local TD would have already disused that however some times that doesn't happen, so we ask for two options and OP spends some time double checking the schedule, to try and make the regional season work for the maximum number of players and TDs possible.
It is VERY rare that OP ever has to ask TDs about moving to their back up date, adn i hope that will continue.
Side note for NA, hint to avoid planning for Last weekend in JUNE, as mentioned elsewhere due to having to shift continentals slightly early this year we will not be approving regional events on that weekend with out an insanely good reason.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:part and parcel, is it possible to have a regional event with out prize support at all, it is something that has not been considered before because frankly no one has wanted to do that before, it could also cause confusion as players could attend expecting the regional prizes as that is the norm for the events, I personally am very hesitant to separate the name from the prize kit but if it is a real issue for a group that want to run one with out the prize kit please contact your continental OP rep and we will discuss it.
I've asked for a regional without prize support before. It is not too much of a hassle for me to pay but I won't ever pass it on to my players and I do worry about any other local TD who might want to run one.

As to the prizes being part and parcel: last year my regional kit didn't arrive until after the regional and the year before it only arrived because we rescheduled at the last minute to a later date. I can also well imagine that sending the kit to me costs a lot more than to the other regions and I'm not sure it's worth the cost to the CC.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I, for one, am foregoing the applications at this time. You want us to plop down $100 for the three events...and yet you don't even have the Regional Promos revealed? Sloppy planning.

Nope, reveal the damn cards and then we'll see if it's even worth it.

Disorganized Play indeed.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
karonofborg13 wrote:I, for one, am foregoing the applications at this time. You want us to plop down $100 for the three events...and yet you don't even have the Regional Promos revealed? Sloppy planning.

I don't know if I can blame Ken on this one. Something seems to be wrong with Art. Everything is delayed, and yet we get no announcements about the delays.

I'm sure the textbook, delayed, apologetic Charlie announcement is on it's way.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
KillerB wrote:
karonofborg13 wrote:I, for one, am foregoing the applications at this time. You want us to plop down $100 for the three events...and yet you don't even have the Regional Promos revealed? Sloppy planning.

I don't know if I can blame Ken on this one. Something seems to be wrong with Art. Everything is delayed, and yet we get no announcements about the delays.

Incidentally, the cards were revealed several days ago. They're in Ken's article reminding you to get your applications in.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Traveler
KillerB wrote:

Part on me personally, part on OP in general, part on CC in general the CC was changing who/how we pick the promos and it caused us to decide on them later then originally planned, I knew what we were doing at the time of the first article, however did not yet have the images from ART, (so did a little guessing/teaser game instead - it clearly failed). ART did a VERY fast turn around on them actually so probably the one department to NOT blame is ART.
That said they are out there now from the reminder article, and there is still a week left to get applications in, and as far as I know they will be ready in time to arrive for the beginning of regional season.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
If all went according to plan, the Regional Prize kits should now be available for requisition on the Promenade. Please send me a note if you don't see them.

Edit: Please send me a note if you don't see them and you should see them.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I see the kits, but the 1E one says it is out of stock. Is that correct?
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]