This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 420 posts

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Those poor 2EBC cards have been known to take some horrible verbal abuse at times, so I figured I'd show those mistreated cards a little love just to let them know that some of us do care. :wink:

Printable (Unconverted) 2EBC Cards
Let me start with five really cool printable 2EBC cards. Since they are printable they are available to everyone.
1. Kamala, The Perfect Mate - Kamala is a real gameplay beauty for almost any deck. 2 Ant, Arc, Dip, Tel (Empathy) and her share a skill ability make her great for almost any deck... especially when she's working with another green skinned beauty.
Cool Combo: Kamala & Vina

2. Genesis Planet - This mission has the really cool ability to change from a planet mission to a space mission after it is solved... for a loss of 5 points. Makes for a nice fourth planet mission which can function as either a planet or space mission depending on how the spaceline turns out.
Cool Combo: Genesis Planet & Genesis Device & Genesis Effect

3. Occupational Hazards - How about a cool dilemma that has not yet been converted? A nice planet/space kill/wall dilemma that requires either 2 Treachery or 2 Acquisition to pass.
Cool Combo: Occupational Hazards & Forsaken & Q Gets the Point

4. Callibration Drone - One of the few great 2EBC Borg cards that has not yet been converted. What's so great about the Callibration Drone? Just think about Masaka as a Borg personnel and you have the Callibration Drone.
Cool Combo: Callibration Drone & any Borg deck

5. USS Enterprise-J - Despite what you might think this is an Event not a ship (but Wall of Ships can still download it). This is a nice all purpose attribute booster if you are running a deck with high point missions.
Cool Combo: Espionage Mission & Wall of Ships & Enterprise-J

Again... All five of these 2EBC cards are printable, so give them a try... show the 2EBC cards some love, and see how much fun they can be. :)
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Great list!

At some point I hope to get Changed History to work.. but it is't printable so it doesn't really meet your criteria.
tomek wrote:4. Callibration Drone
Behind-the-scenes story: This guy was in the Resistance is Futile design file for the longest time... until Story and Art told us that he was from Voyager and not First Contact. Oops!

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
SirDan wrote:Great list!

At some point I hope to get Changed History to work.. but it is't printable so it doesn't really meet your criteria.
When I get some time I'll get to some cool non-printable 2EBC cards. You actually have a very nice one (Security Drills) coming up as printable in January.

Anyway if you haven't already thought of it, let me offer a suggestion for Changed History.
I'm sure you're going with Gowron of Borg who lets you just fire... once. However... have you considered throwing Handshake in your Borg decks. When the Recon Drone got banned (then converted) I started looking for another reliable probe rigging mechanism. After a lot of experimentation I've kind of settled on Handshake. It can also occasionally come in handy as a 'no card play' card drawing mechanism... plus it's a good probe for Harness Particle.
Handshake could also help out with Changed History. Once you have Gowron on your Cube play Handshake on your opponent's deck and place a personnel on top, then let Gowron press the fire button... And while you're at it, why not throw in a Battle Side Deck with Borg Cutting Beam. :borg:

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
How about a deck listing? :)

Here is a link to the Starfleet deck that I played at Worlds last year (2011).
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... eckID=1259
It did ok and came in 8th place in a strong field.

There are a lot of 2EBC cards that are great for Starfleet decks and this particular deck used 17 2EBC cards.

Printable
Missions
- Navigate Argolis Cluster
- Study Rare Phenomenon
Personnel
- Phlox, Alien Psysiologist - Great healing ability makes this the best Phlox in the game
- Amanda Cole x 2 - Nice MACO partner for Sean. Attribute booster with the coveted Astrometrics skill (Astrometrics can function as either Astro or Stellar)
- Sean Hawkins x 2 - Great healing ability.
- D'Vela x 2 - Mad skills! Her cheating ability is not really worth the set up, so her skills mean much more for me.

2012 2E Worlds Promo (Printable 7/2013)
- A Sight for Sore Eyes x 2 - This is a key Starfleet event. 5 points is nice, but the negative point healing during the early game encourages this deck to get out and attempt early.

Non-Printable
- Julian Bashir, Medical Staffer x 2 - I know he's Fed, but his ability to recover personnel from the discard pile is huge. That's what the R'mor Door is for.
- Jonathan Archer, Covetous Commander - Skill set (including the coveted Astrometrics) made this the Archer for this deck. His 5 point special skill is nice, but I don't remember if I ever used it.
- Maximillian Forrest, Confident Captain - Another nice set of skills
- Hideaki Chang, Conscientious Corporal - Another attribute boosting MACO
- ISS Avenger, Admiral's Ship - Starfleet only has three 1E unique ships, so I brought in one of the 2EBC Starfleet ships to bring the count up to four. The Avenger has a nice attribute boosting ability which can work in conjunction with Archer's special skill.
Last edited by tomek on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Seanshank
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Why i hate 2EBC...

1. I hate having them in 1E decks. They make my deck look UGLY!.

2.These Cards need to be banned from OTF and not talked about ever again.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Seanshank wrote:Why i hate 2EBC...

Then those of us who do like 2EBC cards should thank the CC for making decisions that are for the good of the game and not for the good of just one person.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Seanshank wrote:Why i hate 2EBC...

Why do you hate 2EBC?
"These Cards need to be banned from OTF and not talked about ever again."

Why do they need to be banned from OTF and not talked about ever again?

"Because I hate 2EBC!"

[Ref] *TWEET* [Ref]

I gotta throw the circular reasoning flag on this play.

Do you have any substantive reason for your position or are you just ranting?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Armus wrote:Do you have any substantive reason for your position or are you just ranting?
I did see it argued that some of them should be banned for underuse, but got no response to my query regarding whether various Premiere cards should be banned for the same thing.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I think 2EBC cards should eventually be phased out, on the basis that they were not designed with 1E in mind (or at least, not as their primary purpose). But I believe the conversion process should be played out until we get to the point of having only the cards which just won't convert cleanly.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: I gotta throw the circular reasoning flag on this play.

To be fair, he does say they make his deck look ugly.

Here's a simpler (and IMO better) reason to ditch BC cards: they're not 1E. They're 2E cards, with a bunch of extra rules to shoehorn them into 1E. We have a 1E design group now - do we really need to keep allowing cards from another game?

Or, to look at it from the reverse angle - why don't we allow Magic cards to be used in 2E? I'm sure we could knock together some conversion rules.

Remember - if you don't play 2E (and newsflash - there are plenty of 1E players who didn't go to 2E, for a multitude of reasons), you're being asked to buy cards from a game you don't play, to get a few cards for a game you do play. This is like telling Star Wars players to go buy some Young Jedi, because every ninth card is compatible.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Armus wrote: I gotta throw the circular reasoning flag on this play.

To be fair, he does say they make his deck look ugly.

Here's a simpler (and IMO better) reason to ditch BC cards: they're not 1E. They're 2E cards, with a bunch of extra rules to shoehorn them into 1E. We have a 1E design group now - do we really need to keep allowing cards from another game?

Or, to look at it from the reverse angle - why don't we allow Magic cards to be used in 2E? I'm sure we could knock together some conversion rules.

Remember - if you don't play 2E (and newsflash - there are plenty of 1E players who didn't go to 2E, for a multitude of reasons), you're being asked to buy cards from a game you don't play, to get a few cards for a game you do play. This is like telling Star Wars players to go buy some Young Jedi, because every ninth card is compatible.
Been borrowing his tin-foil hat Allen? :?

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
How about a little more love... :D

Why I loooove 2EBC...

1. I love having them in 1E decks, because 2EBC cards help my 1E decks do some pretty cool things!

2. These 2EBC cards need to all be made printable, so everyone can use them in their 1E decks. Then the whole world will realize how wonderful and loveable these 2EBC cards really are.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Here's a simpler (and IMO better) reason to ditch BC cards: they're not 1E. They're 2E cards, with a bunch of extra rules to shoehorn them into 1E. We have a 1E design group now - do we really need to keep allowing cards from another game?

Excellent post Allen. I am in complete agreement.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's cards from a lot of other games I'd rather "convert" into my 1e decks before I start with 2e.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I'm not a fan of 2EBC cards, but I think they are a necessary evil in a Starfleet deck.

The one thing I really dislike though is instances of 2EBC cards that use an image already used in 1E for an earlier 1E card. Sirol, Changed History and Host Metaphasic Shield Test spring to mind.

However I don't think that "pulling the rug" from so many players who DO like/use 2EBC cards is a good idea. I'm happy for them to be converted over time. I would prefer if there was a simple and official "No 2EBC" format you could use to prevent any unwelcome surprises though!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:The one thing I really dislike though is instances of 2EBC cards that use an image already used in 1E for an earlier 1E card. Sirol, Changed History and Host Metaphasic Shield Test spring to mind.
Well Host Metaphasic Shield Test *is* a conversion :P
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]