This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, I get the ramifications. But for purposes that care about 'station controller' (like site stuff), is it still the person who actually seeded it (until commandeered) or do both count?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Since "your" cards are defined as those you control, a station that you can use as "yours" is ispo facto one you control.

So the current ruling implies that, if both players seed/attempt to seed Deep Space 9, they both count as "station controller" for cards that care about that*, and neither player may commandeer the station. (Of course, since they already have effective control of the station, why would they want to?)

Again, if one player seeds DS9 and the other seeds Terok Nor, those are not the same card, this ruling does not apply, and commandeering is back on the table. This ruling did not cause I Miss This Office or Center of Authority to be broken for the past three years!

*I think the cards that care about "station controller" are Holosuite, Process Ore, Docking Pads, Garak's Tailor Shop, Schoolroom, Science Lab, and Security Holding Cell and Dabo.
 -  
Community Contributor
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:Seems like in most cases "your facility" should essentially mean "a facility you can use."
It's close, but not quite. If "your facility" is "a facility you can use," you'd be allowed to do pretty bad things like download Gowron to any headquarters, report a bunch of Klingons with him, and then slaughter anyone opponent plays there. Plus, that definition would contradicts the meaning of "your" as applied to every other card type, which is not great.

So I think the game is right to make "your facility" be "a facility you seeded or played (or commandeered)." This ruling sort of arbitrarily contradicts that, but I'm pretty sure there are ways to be compliant with that definition while still preventing the NPEs this ruling is trying to prevent.

We'll see what the RC does.
 -  
Community Contributor
Wanted to confirm before I remove this interim bluetext from my list: is this week's rules update intended to address (and supersede) the bluetext at the start of this thread?
*facility – add the following after the first paragraph in the Using facilities section: If your opponent seeded a headquarters and you are playing the matching affiliation, you may utilize that headquarters as though it were "your facility." For example, if your opponent plays The Tower of Commerce on Ferenginar and you have played [Fer] cards, your personnel in that facility are not intruders, and you may use Assign Support Personnel to download a support personnel aboard.
And, to confirm my understanding of it, is this right?

My opponent and I are both playing [Fed] , and we both plan to seed Office of the President and no other facilities. My opponent seeds OOTP first. I must therefore discard my copy. But, because I am playing [Fed] (as soon as I play a single [Fed] card), I am still allowed to use Call For Reinforcements to repair my [Fed] ship, treating my opponent's OOTP as my own for that card. Correct?

Alternatively: My opponent and I are both playing I Miss This Office, and we both plan to seed Terok Nor and no other facilities. My opponent seeds Terok Nor first; I must therefore discard my copy. Since Terok Nor is not a headquarters, this rule does not apply. My opponent retains sole control of the facility. Therefore, I cannot Process Ore or Call For Reinforcements during this game (unless I first commandeer the Nor). Correct?

I'm pretty sure that's all correct, but always worth checking such a thing before acting upon it.

(And I assume the related ruling on Time Locations is still in effect, since MACO Training Camp is obviously still in-process.)
 -  
Community Contributor
Ta! Updated my forum rulings page.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation