This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 94 posts

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Thread necro!

I would like to use these decks for the Spotlight Series 1E n00b decks. If other people know of more good beginner decks, could you add them in? Also, if one of these decks is yours, do I have permission to write about it?
No, you most certainly can NOT write about any of my decks.

Please note: none of the decks listed are mine ;)

Carry on :)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Can anyone point to a simple(r) DS9 deck I could review?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Does it have to have DS9/Terok Nor in it, or can it just be based on the Deep Space Nine story?

There are some plausible Joint Operation decks floating around out there, and Pants o.t. Tal Shiar's Cardassian HQ-based DS9-Cardassian decks are great.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Probably the easiest thing for beginners would be to forget Nors (at least for now) and just go with the outposts... but that results in a game not much different than TNG.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Can anyone point to a simple(r) DS9 deck I could review?
I've also got a Joint Operation/Central Command deck you could use if you want, Maggie. It's pretty simple... just play everyone out to Central Command and focus on a two-mission win. It's still something I'm going to experiment with and tweak, but here it is:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=16523

Assign Support Personnel for Aramax or Dorza (the two Mirror Cardassians) to get Study Divergent History going turn 1. Remember, ASP is special reporting so it ignores quadrant restrictions. Dominion War Efforts gives you infinite ASP, so you then go grab the other person on turn 3. Grab Enabran Tain on turn 2 with Defend Homeworld download, play Mutual Distrust on him, targeting his Tal Shiar. It's key to the deck that you target his Tal Shiar skill, because when you report an Obsidian Order personnel, you get a card draw. Play any other copies onto an Obsidian Order personnel, such as Garak, so you get card draws for your Romulan buddies, too. Don't forget that the Treaty allows the Romulans to mix and cooperate, so they report to Central Command just like everyone else.

Build up personnel until you can attempt Cardassia Prime with Secure Homeworld (downloaded with Taking Charge). Legate Damar is the key here (natch)... you want his download of For Cardassia! to get you to 50 points. If you suspect a Dead End on Cardassia Prime, you can play Genesis Effect and name Dead End to nullify it as long as you meet the size requirement of Genesis Effect, and haven't peeked at any of the cards or previously attempted it.

After you complete Cardassia Prime and get Starry Night, trade it out for the Telscope and Genesis Device. Use Genesis Device on Cardassia, double the points (putting you to 85) and do one space mission FTW. Alternatively, you could go do a space mission first and then come back, but I prefer to stay home until it's absolutely necessary to leave.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is... it's not a top-tier tourney deck, but I like it.

Random notes:
Neral is a Going to the Top target. Avoid playing out Jasad, Jerax, and Dakol... these three are your Sleeper Trap personnel. The Tommygun is there for a very specific situation.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Thanks! That will be good for Cardassian week. I don’t mind going intermediate level for Fed DS9.

I’m actually ceding the field for Borg Week to Niall, since Borg don’t do beginner. He’s promised me an introductory article.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Legate_Damar wrote:After you complete Cardassia Prime and get Starry Night, trade it out for the Telscope and Genesis Device. Use Genesis Device on Cardassia, double the points (putting you to 85) and do one space mission FTW. Alternatively, you could go do a space mission first and then come back, but I prefer to stay home until it's absolutely necessary to leave.
I don't think the Genesis Device has any effect on your score if you use it on a mission you've already solved. What do the rest of you say?

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:
Legate_Damar wrote:After you complete Cardassia Prime and get Starry Night, trade it out for the Telscope and Genesis Device. Use Genesis Device on Cardassia, double the points (putting you to 85) and do one space mission FTW. Alternatively, you could go do a space mission first and then come back, but I prefer to stay home until it's absolutely necessary to leave.
I don't think the Genesis Device has any effect on your score if you use it on a mission you've already solved. What do the rest of you say?
I'm with you on this. I don't believe this would work on an already solved mission.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Glossary wrote:Genesis Device, The – Once placed atop a mission, this artifact is no longer being used as an Equipment card, may not be destroyed by Disruptor Overload, stolen, etc., and may not be removed from the mission like equipment. It cannot be used to alter the point value of a mission that is already solved.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ok. Sure. If you're gonna be all technical and use the glossary. But where's the fun in that? ;)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Oh. Well. Don't I look silly?

That's what I get for not reading the Glossary.

New plan.... don't do that. Back to the drawing board I guess...

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Legate_Damar wrote: New plan.... don't do that..

Haha. Not to laugh at your misfortune but that was funny:)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
No worries, it's perfectly fine. I'd rather find out about it this way than take it to a tournament and be totally embarassed! Although to be honest, I'm pretty sure I've seen Genesis Device being played the way I'm describing by several players, so it could be the case that a lot of players are misinformed as to how that card functions.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Legate_Damar wrote:No worries, it's perfectly fine. I'd rather find out about it this way than take it to a tournament and be totally embarassed! Although to be honest, I'm pretty sure I've seen Genesis Device being played the way I'm describing by several players, so it could be the case that a lot of players are misinformed as to how that card functions.
Oh I agree entirely. I had built a deck I thought worked well. Played a game with it against BCS and he tore it apart lol Mechnically it was so off. I felt like a dolt. So I hear ya.
Is Sedis a captain?

No. You can command a ship without having the mili[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're right[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]