This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 94 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Se7enofMine wrote:
Legate_Damar wrote:No worries, it's perfectly fine. I'd rather find out about it this way than take it to a tournament and be totally embarassed! Although to be honest, I'm pretty sure I've seen Genesis Device being played the way I'm describing by several players, so it could be the case that a lot of players are misinformed as to how that card functions.
Oh I agree entirely. I had built a deck I thought worked well. Played a game with it against BCS and he tore it apart lol Mechnically it was so off. I felt like a dolt. So I hear ya.
It was, to be fair, a very clever deck, based entirely on very subtle misreadings of the rules. In a very slightly different universe, you'd have clobbered me.

1E is a messy ol' game.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:Oh I agree entirely. I had built a deck I thought worked well. Played a game with it against BCS and he tore it apart lol Mechnically it was so off. I felt like a dolt. So I hear ya.
It was, to be fair, a very clever deck, based entirely on very subtle misreadings of the rules. In a very slightly different universe, you'd have clobbered me.

1E is a messy ol' game.

Wow. I will take that as some very high praise. Thank you, James. Much appreciated.

That it is. I love it and its great but ugh ... sometimes my head hurts :P

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Since Heaney had my Cardassian deck on his list, I should share my updated and streamlined version:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=16758

Unfortunately we had a bye in our last tournament so this exact version doesn't meet the requirement of "has won two games in a tournament."
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
That's great! I shall use this for Cardassian week.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Anyone have a good Ferengi deck? I'm working on next week's Spotlight Series.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:Anyone have a good Ferengi deck?
They're really unfriendly to beginners, because they are both really complicated and really bad. This one is one of the very few [Fer] decks that can even win games these days. (Hooooooopefully Unrelenting Lust changes that up a bit, but we haven't seen it in action yet.)

TNG Ferengi are simple, but have vast, unfixable skill gaps and can't effectively use Rules.

DS9 Ferengi are better (they can use Rules and their skill gaps aren't completely unfixable), but they rely on cross-quadrant travel and a Dominion treaty with the Dosi Trading Post, which is very newbie-unfriendly.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Anyone have a good Ferengi deck? I'm working on next week's Spotlight Series.
Good? No. Ferengi decks? Yes. They are terrible. But they are mine, so it couldnt be any other way.

An Achievement deck This one beat Ross once.
my really old tng ferengi deck this one sucked.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
This makes me sad.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:This makes me sad.
To be fair, the Ferengi are a) not the easiest to play and b) haven't gotten a ton of Design love. Hopefully the new 1st Rule card that just came out will do something, though they'll probably need more than that for anything besides the very occasional Ferengi Military Operations deck to make an appearance.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
...or maybe there ARE good Ferengi decks for beginners... but do you expect to get them for FREE?! You expect... pfeh... charity?!

;)
 -  
Community Contributor
^ I chuckled.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I thought it was well known that i suck at deck building. I did not mean to disappoint.

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
Armus wrote:
To be fair, the Ferengi are a) not the easiest to play and b) haven't gotten a ton of Design love. Hopefully the new 1st Rule card that just came out will do something, though they'll probably need more than that for anything besides the very occasional Ferengi Military Operations deck to make an appearance.
Ferengi were the deck in TNG, but then their key cards got nerfed and not really replaced. However, nobody was too sad since everybody already got their play 5 on them at that point.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
winterflames wrote:
I thought it was well known that i suck at deck building. I did not mean to disappoint.
Sorry, I didn't mean to dig at your deckbuilding skills. I meant the general lack of Ferengi love in general, leading to them being lackluster at best.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0