This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Tonight I was browsing the website and visited the "What's New" page and I saw that today Protect the Timeline has been added to the watch list. The brief explanation is that the card has "shown to be above the power curve and give decks to easy access to [NA]" Can someone please explain to this simpleton how this card is above the power curve? I don't see it. I see it as an extra free play engine for decks using time locations that grants players two free plays a turn with the time location such as Halkan Council andCamp Khitomer. Is that what is breaking the card? But I don't see how the Non-Align issue factors in?

I will say that this kinds of bums me out because with the newly released Reunite Legends I really want to put together a Movie TOS deck using Protect the Time.

Thanks for your help!

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think that this pertains to Seat of Starfleet.

SoS is a Headquarters which, due to errata back when Straight and Steady came out, seeds on 22nd-Century San Francisco. Normally, only cards native to a time location can report there. But as a Headquarters, Seat of Starfleet would allow any nonaligned personnel to report and since it is 'here' at 22nd-Century San Francisco, that person could be free if Protect the Timeline were played on the time location.

So, essentially, when all three of these things are combined, you get free AQ [NA] (any and all).

Or so I understand.

Though, if this is the case, then perhaps the errata should be to Seat of Starfleet (which should also limit to [22] era.)

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yup, so either each needs a stipulation requiring only native people to the timeline where it is seeded, or Protect the Timeline needs errata to be more specific on what can report for free.

But personally, I think the issue is the facilities as Lore should not be able to report there for card play or free regardless. Plus, one could get him free with Cybernetics Expertise at SoS even without Protect the Timeline, so the issue is not even new. It is simply exacerbated.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Alright, so just so that I am following what you all are saying: Seat of Starfleet since it is a headquarters card allows you to report [NA] personnel there, but with Protect the Timeline you can report unique [NA] like Lore using the "Once each turn, one of your unique personnel reporting here may do so for free. You may not report personnel for free unless native to this timeline or reporting to a ship or facility here."

If I am reading what you all are saying correctly, then would a good solution be to remove the "Or reporting to a ship or facility here"? Leave to where it works with people native to the timeline?

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
^Yes, that's true too. Plus, there are other cards which allow that abuse. One could use a Dominion/Federation Treaty and put a Crew Reassignment on a Dominion Battleship and park it at a time location for some free reports of Jemmies. Can't ever get enough Jemmies.

So, perhaps it really is Protect the Timeline which is the issue.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
This is kinda my fault - I abused this loophole back at Regionals. It's been on Smiley's Radar ever since.

I've suggested a one-word fix which I'm hoping will make the "free Non-Aligned" issue go away (and not reduce the brilliant gameplay of the card).

By rameses niblick 3 (Glen "Lofty" Shipley)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
KazonPADD wrote:
rameses niblick 3 wrote:Yes Paddy that was NOT cool
On at least 1 occasion, you agreed it was.

5 points!
I'm pretty sure you were taking advantage of my deck being cool. The Rock processing ore that's just awesome :cheersL:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Jup if a card adds free plays (or draws) without restricting the use of other free play or draw engines, it´s obiously a problem.

Does not report cards for free unless native to this timeline, means...?

a) No free reports at all, other then the timeline location (no HQ etc.)?
OR
b) the cards reporting for free must be native to the timeline, not just unique?

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
To me the problem isn't Protect the Timeline but the headquarters. It should be limited to [22] cards. Any future headquarters played on Time Locations should be limited as such.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Jono wrote:To me the problem isn't Protect the Timeline but the headquarters. It should be limited to [22] cards. Any future headquarters played on Time Locations should be limited as such.
If I were to agree it's a problem I would also agree that this would be the right fix. I personally think while it is strong it's not. I'm problem because it's not with out cost, to use it for these na's you have to give up starfleets best draw engine since the NAs are discards and that engine is seedable and can be a draw every turn + some on opponents turns via ship DLs and the like.
So it's good sure but broken or abusive nope, I've worked on several SF designs since PtTL came out and I found the pure SF decks stronger for me. I will agree PtTL makes SF top tier I just don't feel it does so in an abusive way.
/shrug my :twocents:

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're right[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]