This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 178 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:As before, if you see anything on here that probably shouldn't exist, I'm open for removing it - especailly all those funky Premiere wordings for romantic links and stuff.
Leave 'em. They're probably never going to get filled in, but they are useful to know about.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah - I found a lot of Premiere-era things - surprising in the matching commander area. I'm expecting set 4.2 to have a lot of removals - the Vulcan section and Hinder Progress at least.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Not sure which group this would go under, but Mortal Q having no way to define its CUNNING of Q as anything but an unalterable zero has always seemed like a broken link to me.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nah, I always thought Mortal Q's cunning made sense. He thinks in terms that are not really applicable to normal people, and thus his vast knowledge was 99% of the time worse than useless.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
When the card came out, I assumed that "Q" meant "infinite" - i.e., he could pass any mission or dilemma requirements for cunning all by himself, no matter how high.

It made up for him being a generally useless card:

-Not having a Q-Continuum side deck was more of a big deal back when there were only PAQ cards
-His other stats suck, at 2 each
-Physics and geology can be found on much more useful characters (and having x10 is not usually more useful than having x2 at most)
-His leadership is a drag
-Civilian is almost never useful
-Q dilemma was rarely ever used in our meta (except Q-bypass, irrelevant for Mortal Q's purposes)

But infinite cunning? That, combined with the coolness of playing with Q as a character, made up for his weaknesses.

I was bummed out later on when I found out the official rules for his cunning - and have remained bummed out, as I've seen no cards created to set or modify it.

I agree it constitutes a broken link, and a much more valid one than the "matching commander" oddities caused by ranks (i.e. "Captain Kargan" and the "I.K.C. Pagh"). Those aren't broken links, those are simply the result of broken lore combined with broken rules, and they're never going to be "fixed" with new cards.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Agreed with frakkingoff. Even if some think the link should never be fixed, it doesn't mean it's not broken. ;)

And if the Q is intended to always represent no cunning, then it should be replaced with simply NO CUNNING, just as Kivas Fajo and Equinox Doctor have NO INTEGRITY and The Artificial Intelligence has NO STRENGTH. Then we can get rid of a glossary entry. And have a cool Away Team.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
EHCCGPP wrote: And if the Q is intended to always represent no cunning, then it should be replaced with simply NO CUNNING, just as Kivas Fajo and Equinox Doctor have NO INTEGRITY and The Artificial Intelligence has NO STRENGTH. Then we can get rid of a glossary entry. And have a cool Away Team.
I would even go so far as to use those later cards as proof that Decipher learned it's lesson about cutesy variables. (And Brad knows that Decipher had all the time in the world to make the variable useful, so I think it's safe to presume that the intent was for it to be a permanent zero.)

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I always liked the idea that Q is "Highest present +1" cause he was always smarter than the crew, but just barely.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote:I always liked the idea that Q is "Highest present +1" cause he was always smarter than the crew, but just barely.

What about the lowest -1? :D

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
kingmj4891 wrote:
winterflames wrote:I always liked the idea that Q is "Highest present +1" cause he was always smarter than the crew, but just barely.

What about the lowest -1? :D
That could be his Integrity...

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pre-Warp Pack Update:

This is a rather extensive SHORTENING of the list.

The entire Vulcan Affiliation section has been removed for the Vulcan affiliation now exists.

Also, the 'Soval' entry under personas has been removed for Soval now exists, formerly only referred by [MQ] Crewman Soval.

But he also shows right back up under the special-download section for a special-download of a nonexistent card in Team of Ambassadors.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote: But he also shows right back up under the special-download section for a special-download of a nonexistent card in Team of Ambassadors.
Just for clarification, do unconverted 2EBC cards count as broken links? Because Team of Ambassadors is totally a legal, real card (for now anyway...).

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
On my list, 2EBC is ignored and irrelevant, so yes, I include Team of Ambassadors.

Also, another removal from the list - the Pursuit icon. Now that there's a second (real) card with the icon in Temporal Wake, the Vetar can come off the list.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
One broken link from Terran Empire escaped my notice until just now: Mirror-Neutral-22 personnel. There is no such card - obviously it's for Mirror Porthos or Mirror-Phlox's dark menagerie...
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !