This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 218 posts

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Wow. So many 2018 deadlines.

Next year looks like a great year for 1E
Iron Prime wrote:Thanks! Looking forward to all of these. Especially the new player experience as I have been trying to get some old friends to re-engage with the game...
I can't wait either, and also can't wait for the TNG v2 decks :)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
If anyone has any questions about these reports or the upcoming projects in them, send me a PM. I'll answer as many as I can in the next update.

-crp

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:If anyone has any questions about these reports or the upcoming projects in them, send me a PM. I'll answer as many as I can in the next update.

-crp
Ooooo cant wait man. I've been chomping at the bit waiting to see the next update :)
 -  
Prophet
This is your October 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products. I'm going to try to post these every 30 days or so, so you can expect another update in November. Also, if you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. If you guys PM me questions, I'll do my best to answer them in subsequent updates.

So, without further ado, here's the update:

Project Wisdom
(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Project Wisdom has finished design and testing, and has headed into production. Proofreading is complete as of today, and the art team is already hard at work finding images for use in the final file. The expansion has evolved and changed quite a bit from where it started, but I think it's in a pretty good place. I want to thank every volunteer that's worked on the design, rules, creative, proofreading, art and especially testing of this project. I'm happy to report we're on track to release **** ***** in December; we'll announce a release date when we can.

Project Sinterklaas
(Project Sinterklaas is a boutique-style expansion designed to offer some love to decks that aren't featured in recent, current, or near future blocks. It also contains a few "old school" throwback cards.

It took a bit longer for this to get through the pipeline than I'd hoped, but I am happy to report it has been sent to the Art team. This will be a fun little holiday gift for all of the First Edition fans, and I can't wait to see the final product. Details about this expansion's release are still being finalized, but it should come out sometime between American Thanksgiving and the end of the year.

Project Discommendation
(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.)

Discommendation has started testing and has already been through its first major revision. The project is an unusual one and one that's serving different masters than usual, so its going to be more volatile in testing than a typical expansion. We've refocused the project some, removing some restrictions that were no longer necessary. When it's all said and done, you guys will have a full-sized (45-54 cards, approximately) expansion that properly converts some cool cards to 1E. And there might even be a few entirely new cards as well.

For now, it's still on track for a release in late Winter / early Spring of 2018, but as always, that's subject to change.

Project Keiko
(Project Keiko is a scripted learn-to-play experience for new players.)

The first draft of the decks and script for Project Keiko are done and awaiting initial testing. This isn't a project that contains new cards, and thus it doesn't need testing in the traditional sense. It does need to be put together and played through quite a bit, in particular by new players, to be properly vetted. Fortunately, Matthew Zinno [commdecker], the project lead, is up to the challenge.

I did get a question about Keiko, asking what the two decks will be. Well, I've seen the first draft, so I can answer that. The two decks, as of now, are Federation and Klingon.

Project Jellyfish
(Project Jellyfish is a refresh and remaster of The Next Generation block's starter decks.)

Note: No updates since last time, so I'll just repeat what I've said. The second step on the new player journey is Project Jellyfish, being led by Paddy Tye [KazonPADD]. Jellyfish is going to bring back one of our most popular play environments, the TNG Block, for the new player experience! The project will feature a small number of new cards to refocus the four (4) TNG block starter decks into a great low-to-mid level play environment.

Project En Garde
(Project En Garde is a pair of balanced decks designed to give great games against each other, and fit into tournament play.)

Note: No updates since last time, so I'll just repeat what I've said. As the final step on the journey, we want to make it as easy as possible for players to transition into local tournament play. To enable this, we bring you Project En Garde, the first in a series of products that bring paired, pre-constructed decks. These decks are designed to play well against each other, and to be playable at the tournament level. The project will feature new cards as well as complete play guides, deck building guides, and more. We have two pairs of decks in product, one headed up by Cristoffer Wiker [Smiley], and the other by Niall Matthew [sexecutioner].

Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block.)

I'm happy to report that the first draft of our new, weird thing (alluded to in previous versions) has been completed, and shared with the teams for the rest of this block's expansions. We'll be working with those teams to refine the idea into something all of the teams can agree on over the next few weeks. Meanwhile, James Monsebroten [Orbin] and I (along with the rest of the team) are hard at working bringing cool TOS stories and flavor to life.

Project Blues[/b]
(Project Blues is a Delta Quadrant themed boutique product.)

Note: No updates since last time, so I'll just repeat what I've said. One of the most common complaints we've heard over the years is how little material we've put out for [1E-DQ] fans. We've made some changes, but it's been a trickle and we know it. It's exactly because of these requests that we've started Project Blues - a boutique expansion focused on the Delta Quadrant. The team, being led by James Monsebroten [Orbin], is just getting started but we're planning to have this project out in 2018 as well.

Project G'Kar
Project Londo
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion in the TOS block, and Project Londo is the third.)

Not much has changed with these two projects, so I'll just repeat what I said in the last report. Project G'Kar and Project Londo's lead designers, Dan Hamman and James Monsebroten, respectively, have participated in all of the block planning meetings and are on board with the planned themes. I believe Dan has his team put together and has started preliminary work, while James is still working on assembling his team.

That's my report for you this month. Nothing new to update, and a few more details for you, but no new announcements. I'll be back in November with more info for you, and I'll see if I can't bring a spoiler or two. In the mean time, please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:we're on track to release **** ***** in December
I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

I'm excited for the new player and boutique projects.
Thanks for the updates! I'm at work right now and "cheating" but I'll try to give more constructive feedback later....

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Now that Worlds is over and done with, Project En Garde should be hitting full swing soon... ;)

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for the update! Just two questions:

Will Project Jellyfish result in Hi-Res PDFs of the remastered TNG starters?

Will Jellyfish result in new Hi-Res PDFs of the TNG sets, updated with errata?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:Thanks for the update! Just two questions:

The idea of Project Jellyfish is to update and reboot the TNG starters, so I would expect this to include updated hi-res pdfs for the Starter decks, including eratta such as Gozar, AAH, CM, etc as well as any other changes. That would make them easy to pass out to new players for use and to demo to new players.

As for updated Hi-Res pdfs for the sets, that hasn’t been discussed yet. However a printable pdf containing all cards legal in TNG Block for standalone tournaments using the format is definitely something that I personally would like to see.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:Thanks for the update! Just two questions:

The idea of Project Jellyfish is to update and reboot the TNG starters, so I would expect this to include updated hi-res pdfs for the Starter decks, including eratta such as Gozar, AAH, CM, etc as well as any other changes. That would make them easy to pass out to new players for use and to demo to new players.

As for updated Hi-Res pdfs for the sets, that hasn’t been discussed yet. However a printable pdf containing all cards legal in TNG Block for standalone tournaments using the format is definitely something that I personally would like to see.
Let me just say, as someone who has been banging the TNG-as-a-(re-)entry-point drum for however long, I think this is a great idea and I'm super excited that it's being done.

Given that our best (or at least most readily available) source of new players is the offspring of current players, having an easy entry point is critical for outreach. Between this and Projects Keiko and En Garde, it's some really good forward thinking by TPTB and the design teams! :thumbsup:
 -  
Prophet
This is your November 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products. I might just be sneaking this one under the wire, but I didn't want all of November to go by without an update. But a programming note: I'm not sure I will have much to update you on in December, so there might not be another post like this until January 2018. But you never know, so keep your eyes peeled. Also, if you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. If you guys PM me questions, I'll do my best to answer them in subsequent updates.

Also, we hope you enjoy Warp Pack: Holiday 2017, formerly known as Project Sinterklaas. It was a fun product to put together and we can't wait to hear what you think - especially if you'd like to see more small boutique products like this in the future.

Here is your update for 11/17:

ANNOUNCING: Cold Front
(Formerly known as Project Wisdom)
(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

I teased the name last time, but today I'm happy to tell you that Cold Front, the next standard size First Edition expansion, will be releasing in late December or early January. The expansion, led by Dan Hamman, features fifty-four new cards, including [22] [Rom] cards and a host of new [22] [NA] cards, including some from the Temporal Cold War. It's in the final phases of production now, and I expect to be released by the end of December or early January. Here is a very early preview card for you:
[Evt] {ST: Enterprise}
[1E-AU] [3] Bigger on the Inside
The secrets of a small futuristic ship and the corpse of a presumed temporal agent led Starfleet, Suliban, and Tholian forces to abandon all other priorities in an attempt to secure it.
Plays on a mission if your temporal agent is present or adjacent. Mission may not be attempted or scouted unless 4 [Cmd] OR any Intelligence in crew or Away Team. (Unique.)
Project Discommendation
(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.)

Discommendation is about to start its sixth week of testing and I think it's in a really good place. The designers recently decided that, even though this is a conversion-based expansion, it isn't just that. For example, the file currently has all of the "Revised" / future Holograms from Voyager's "Living Witness." After complaints from testers that they we're there, and needed more, the design team realized they had been holding back from giving them proper support because it didn't fit the rigid idea of a "conversion" set. So they're getting more toys, and I know the design team is eager for more feedback.

Discommendation will be taking a break from testing at the end of this year / beginning of next year to let some other projects get initial looks, but will be back to testers in early 2018. I believe that keeps the expansion on track for a release in late Winter / early Spring of 2018, but as always, that's subject to change.

Project Keiko

The second draft of the Federation and Klingons decks and script for Project Keiko are done and being refined. This isn't a project that contains new cards, and thus it doesn't need testing in the traditional sense.

I am thinking we will have a limited public beta test for these in the first of the new year. If you have someone that you want to teach to play First Edition and are willing to do so with these decks and script, please send me a PM and let me know. It would then be the plan to release this to the public in its finished form in Q1 2018.

Project Jellyfish
(Project Jellyfish is a refresh and remaster of The Next Generation block's starter decks.)

The Project Jellyfish designers have finished their first draft of the new starter decks, and are eager for some feedback. This will be the first thing to be tested during Discommendation's "holiday break," and I know the team will be chomping at the bit to go through the feedback.

I am tentatively planning to release this project 4-6 weeks after Project Keiko, in late Q1 2018 or very early Q2 2018.

Project En Garde
(Project En Garde is a pair of balanced decks designed to give great games against each other, and fit into tournament play.)

The first pair of these dual decks - led by Niall Matthew [sexecutioner] will be heading to testers right around the time Discommedation begins to lock itself down, in early 2018. We're going to ask our testers to give these lots of rounds against each other, because the goal of the project is to provide a great game each time they're played. Not only will they help people play their friends and elevate their own games, but they'll serve as entry points into local tournaments.

If all goes well, this project will release 4-6 weeks after Project Jellyfish, completing the "intro track." I'm going to tentatively earmark these for mid-to-late Q2 2018.

Project Delenn

So I've been vague the past few months about this expansion, and I'd like to share a little behind the scenes information for you. First, a disclaimer: I'm one of the co-lead designers on this expansion, and I have invested a lot of time and energy into it for over a year. I've hinted that we're trying something new and different, so let me start by telling you what that is. I wanted the block to be about something different that just Feds, Klingons, Romulans, and Non-Aligneds, so I came upon the idea of building the block around tropes. A trope is a storytelling conceit, and a lot of them are named after TOS because of how often they used them. What if we built the block around a "Monster of the Week" starter instead of a "TOS Fed" starter?

Last month, I told you we'd just posted the first draft to the entire block roster and the feedback was not good. It was really demoralizing, if I'm being honest. There was good feedback offered, but also feedback along the lines of "I knew this was a terrible idea, why'd you even bother?" It shook me to my core and made me doubt a lot of things. However, I think that I've bounced back with the help of the Delenn team and we're going to take a second stab at these, in spite of the haters. Maybe it won't end up working, but I think it can and I'm not going to give up yet.

I'm thinking about writing a lot more on this as a blog, so let me know if you're interested in reading something like that. I know it's still vague, but I wanted you to know something of what was going on. I promise I'll provide more details in future installments of this series.

Project Blues[/b]

Note: No updates since last time, so I'll just repeat what I've said. One of the most common complaints we've heard over the years is how little material we've put out for [1E-DQ] fans. We've made some changes, but it's been a trickle and we know it. It's exactly because of these requests that we've started Project Blues - a boutique expansion focused on the Delta Quadrant. The team, being led by James Monsebroten [Orbin], is just getting started but we're planning to have this project out in 2018 as well.

Project G'Kar
Project Londo
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion in the TOS block, and Project Londo is the third.)

Not much has changed with these two projects, so I'll just repeat what I said in the last report. Project G'Kar and Project Londo's lead designers, Dan Hamman and James Monsebroten, respectively, have participated in all of the block planning meetings and are on board with the planned themes. I believe Dan has his team put together and has started preliminary work, while James is still working on assembling his team.

That's my report for you this month. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, anything I can give you more information on, or just if there's something you'd like to see more (or less of) in future updates. Have a happy holiday season, all!

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: I might just be sneaking this one under the wire
November 30th is still November. 8)
MidnightLich wrote: Also, we hope you enjoy Warp Pack: Holiday 2017, formerly known as Project Sinterklaas. It was a fun product to put together and we can't wait to hear what you think - especially if you'd like to see more small boutique products like this in the future.
I do enjoy it - and I'd like to see more small products like this in the future.
Of course the big sets are super fun, but for someone who struggles to make many games/tournaments these sets are more digestible. I assume they can be produced faster and sprinkled throughout the normal releases to keep a steady flow of content on the front page?

MidnightLich wrote: Project Discommendation

Discommendation is about to start its sixth week of testing and I think it's in a really good place. The designers recently decided that, even though this is a conversion-based expansion, it isn't just that. For example, the file currently has all of the "Revised" / future Holograms from Voyager's "Living Witness." After complaints from testers that they we're there, and needed more, the design team realized they had been holding back from giving them proper support because it didn't fit the rigid idea of a "conversion" set. So they're getting more toys, and I know the design team is eager for more feedback.

Discommendation will be taking a break from testing at the end of this year / beginning of next year to let some other projects get initial looks, but will be back to testers in early 2018. I believe that keeps the expansion on track for a release in late Winter / early Spring of 2018, but as always, that's subject to change.
Thank you for info on this progress - I know a lot of people are very interested in this. I think giving them a little more room to more than "just convert" is the right call. Looking forward to more info on this.

MidnightLich wrote: Project Keiko

The second draft of the Federation and Klingons decks and script for Project Keiko are done and being refined. This isn't a project that contains new cards, and thus it doesn't need testing in the traditional sense.

I am thinking we will have a limited public beta test for these in the first of the new year. If you have someone that you want to teach to play First Edition and are willing to do so with these decks and script, please send me a PM and let me know. It would then be the plan to release this to the public in its finished form in Q1 2018.

Project Jellyfish

The Project Jellyfish designers have finished their first draft of the new starter decks, and are eager for some feedback. This will be the first thing to be tested during Discommendation's "holiday break," and I know the team will be chomping at the bit to go through the feedback.

I am tentatively planning to release this project 4-6 weeks after Project Keiko, in late Q1 2018 or very early Q2 2018.

Project En Garde

The first pair of these dual decks - led by Niall Matthew [sexecutioner] will be heading to testers right around the time Discommedation begins to lock itself down, in early 2018. We're going to ask our testers to give these lots of rounds against each other, because the goal of the project is to provide a great game each time they're played. Not only will they help people play their friends and elevate their own games, but they'll serve as entry points into local tournaments.

If all goes well, this project will release 4-6 weeks after Project Jellyfish, completing the "intro track." I'm going to tentatively earmark these for mid-to-late Q2 2018.
I glad to see more "official" starter/premade options coming. This has been a hurdle for me in trying to suck some old friends back into the game. Having some ready-made decks to have handy for casual games will be very handy. Plus it will aid in teaching the youngsters... :thumbsup:

MidnightLich wrote: Project Delenn

So I've been vague the past few months about this expansion, and I'd like to share a little behind the scenes information for you. First, a disclaimer: I'm one of the co-lead designers on this expansion, and I have invested a lot of time and energy into it for over a year. I've hinted that we're trying something new and different, so let me start by telling you what that is. I wanted the block to be about something different that just Feds, Klingons, Romulans, and Non-Aligneds, so I came upon the idea of building the block around tropes. A trope is a storytelling conceit, and a lot of them are named after TOS because of how often they used them. What if we built the block around a "Monster of the Week" starter instead of a "TOS Fed" starter?

Last month, I told you we'd just posted the first draft to the entire block roster and the feedback was not good. It was really demoralizing, if I'm being honest. There was good feedback offered, but also feedback along the lines of "I knew this was a terrible idea, why'd you even bother?" It shook me to my core and made me doubt a lot of things. However, I think that I've bounced back with the help of the Delenn team and we're going to take a second stab at these, in spite of the haters. Maybe it won't end up working, but I think it can and I'm not going to give up yet.

I'm thinking about writing a lot more on this as a blog, so let me know if you're interested in reading something like that. I know it's still vague, but I wanted you to know something of what was going on. I promise I'll provide more details in future installments of this series.
Hang in there boss. I'm glad some new directions are being tried out. A blog or series of articles might be a good way to flesh-out some ideas. Maybe piggyback on the What Are We Hoping For In TOS Block? thread? TOS already had all the main/high points covered in TWT so I'm glad there is at least an attempt to try something new. :twocents:

MidnightLich wrote:Project Blues

Excited for this! Have the team take notes from the Warp Pack: Holiday 2017 boutique (especially the new [Hir] )

Thanks for the update!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
[Evt] {ST: Enterprise}
[1E-AU] [3] Bigger on the Inside
The secrets of a small futuristic ship and the corpse of a presumed temporal agent led Starfleet, Suliban, and Tholian forces to abandon all other priorities in an attempt to secure it.
Plays on a mission if your temporal agent is present or adjacent. Mission may not be attempted or scouted unless 4 [Cmd] OR any Intelligence in crew or Away Team. (Unique.)
I adore the Creative work on this.
 -  
Prophet
Hi all,

No official status update this month, but I did want to let you know that a very special thing is going to be happening right here on the Gameplay (1E) board in early 2018. I'd start checking the forum daily starting around January 17th, 2018 if you're interested in helping to celebrate DS9's 25th Birthday.

Have a Happy New Year, all!

-crp

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]