This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 218 posts

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Is there a chance Live Long and Prosper will be out for Worlds?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for the update, Charlie!

I'm curious about Sinterklaas and it's promise of old school love for some of the affiliations left out in the cold.

:thumbsup:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
sexecutioner wrote:Is there a chance Live Long and Prosper will be out for Worlds?
I expect it to be released in August, so yes, a very good chance.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Iron Prime wrote:Thanks for the update, Charlie!

I'm curious about Sinterklaas and it's promise of old school love for some of the affiliations left out in the cold.

:thumbsup:
I did the design on this; my original assignment was to make non-block cards for affiliations that haven't had much of anything. I got the inspiration to try and make some "old school" cards that might inspire someone to try something old again. For example, there's a [Fed] personnel that hearkens back to the pre- [1E-TNG] days where you just ran a mismash of property logos in your Federation Deck.

Just to manage expectations: this is only nine (9) cards, so not everyone gets something. And yes, a few affiliations that have been in block get cards. But those cards, for the most part, invite you to play those affiliations in a very different way. I hope that everyone will find something they enjoy in this product.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote:Mmmm, holiday boutiques are great, seeing Discommendation sooner than expected is fine.

Interesting spoilers for LLAP. - I'm betting that it's an Espionage: Vulcan on Andorian whose normal game text allows Vulcans to attempt an [NA] mission.

Also, 62 cards? It's only _not_ a multiple of 9 if there's a double-faced card in the works. Perhaps the Vulcans are getting a Mission II with a built-in outpost.

Just some idle speculation.
Something in this post is TRUE.

-crp

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
MidnightLich wrote:
jrch5618 wrote:Mmmm, holiday boutiques are great, seeing Discommendation sooner than expected is fine.

Interesting spoilers for LLAP. - I'm betting that it's an Espionage: Vulcan on Andorian whose normal game text allows Vulcans to attempt an [NA] mission.

Also, 62 cards? It's only _not_ a multiple of 9 if there's a double-faced card in the works. Perhaps the Vulcans are getting a Mission II with a built-in outpost.

-crp
Unfortunately, it is "holiday boutiques are great".

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Midnightlich wrote: Trust me when I tell you it took a long time to find a name we could live with.
Back in the May status update. I see what you did there - the last sentence on your description of the as-yet-unnamed Project Power.

Just noticed that today.
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote:
Midnightlich wrote: Trust me when I tell you it took a long time to find a name we could live with.
Back in the May status update. I see what you did there - the last sentence on your description of the as-yet-unnamed Project Power.

Just noticed that today.
Nice find!

This is favorite trick of mine. I do it quite a bit when talking about upcoming things. Something to keep an eye on, moving forward. ;)

-crp

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Nice find!

This is favorite trick of mine. I do it quite a bit when talking about upcoming things. Something to keep an eye on, moving forward. ;)

-crp
Something about that wink makes me wonder whether there was a clue to a future set in this post itself...
Hmm... "Forward Eye"? Okay, probably not.
 -  
Prophet
It's a bit too early for a new report, but I thought I'd give you a bit of a teaser. Over the past week, we've started up four (4) new First Edition projects. I'll have more info for you post-GenCon in the August status update.

-crp

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
I called Espionage: Vulcan on Andorian ten days ago. I'm quite proud of myself for that one :D

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
I called Espionage: Vulcan on Andorian ten days ago. I'm quite proud of myself for that one :D
You missed the part about missions with 'Andorian' in lore... :P
 -  
Prophet
This is your September 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products. I missed August, but given that July's update was technically in August, I figured I'd just go ahead and skip to September. I have a lot of new projects to announce, though some of the details may be light. Still, I hope you will enjoy this look at what we have in store for you.

On a personal note, I want to thank everyone that has had kind words to share about Live Long and Prosper. I've spent quite a bit of the last two years working on that expansion, and I can't wait to see what you guys do with the Vulcans.

If you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. And please don't hesitate to poke me if it's getting late in the month and I haven't posted an update.

-crp

Project Wisdom
(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Dan Hamman's [SirDan] Project Wisdom has entered the final phase of development. The Rules and Creative teams have been set loose on the file to finalize game text and story, and the testers are working their way though the last few weeks of play time with the cards. Dan makes very different expansions than I do, so you'll see a lot of fun stuff in Project Wisdom. He's also going out of his way to close broken links, so that should make those of you that "hate fun*" happy.

If all goes well, you should see Project Wisdom by the end of the year.

Project Sinterklaas
(Project Sinterklaas is a boutique-style expansion designed to offer some love to decks that aren't featured in recent, current, or near future blocks. It also contains a few "old school" throwback cards.

This is headed to the Art team very shortly for final production, but otherwise I don't have any updates for you. Project Sinterklaas will be a nine (9) card boutique expansion headed your way this holiday season. It was designed to provide some love for affiliations and decks that haven't been getting much love in block. Sinterklaas will not be block legal, and though it is small, there's some very cool stuff here.

Project Discommendation
(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.)

Not much has changed for Discommendation since the last update. It'll be heading into testing in just a few short weeks (once Wisdom is feature complete). Allen Gould (the lead) and his team have a cool file put together. It's still on track for a release in late Winter / early Spring of 2018, but as always, that's subject to change.

These next three products are part of our goal in making it easier than ever for players to pick up and get into First Edition. We're working hard to make 2018 a banner year for the game, and these three products are a signature part of our plans.

ANNOUNCING: Project Keiko
(Project Keiko is a scripted learn-to-play experience for new players.)

Project Keiko is the first such step on a new player's journey into 1E: a basic, scripted learn to play experience. While Project Keiko won't include new cards, it does require a lot of testing to make sure this is a great entry point into the game. This is being headed up by Matthew Zinno [commdecker], and will be out in 2018.

ANNOUNCING: Project Jellyfish
(Project Jellyfish is a refresh and remaster of The Next Generation block's starter decks.)

The second step on the new player journey is Project Jellyfish, being led by Paddy Tye [KazonPADD]. Jellyfish is going to bring back one of our most popular play environments, the TNG Block, for the new player experience! The project will feature a small number of new cards to refocus the four (4) TNG block starter decks into a great low-to-mid level play environment. More details on this will be coming soon; the project is also expected in 2018, some time after Keiko.

ANNOUNCING: Project En Garde
(Project En Garde is a pair of balanced decks designed to give great games against each other, and fit into tournament play.)

As the final step on the journey, we want to make it as easy as possible for players to transition into local tournament play. To enable this, we bring you Project En Garde, the first in a series of products that bring paired, pre-constructed decks. These decks are designed to play well against each other, and to be playable at the tournament level. The project will feature new cards as well as complete play guides, deck building guides, and more. We have two pairs of decks in product, one headed up by Cristoffer Wiker [Smiley], and the other by Niall Matthew [sexecutioner]. We'll be releasing at least one of these in 2018.

Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block.)

Not much new to report here, other than we're continuing work on this. It's going to be a lot of fun, even if the whole block is going to be weird, for lack of a better term. We've got some ambitious plans, but don't let that scare you; if we hit our marks, this might be the best block we've ever produced. There are a lot of balls in the air, and it's going to take a lot of hard work, but I'm confident we can pull it off. I know this is vague, but it's actually hard for me to explain at this point; most of the ideas are very conceptual at this stage. Just as a reminder, I'm co-leading the expansion with James Monsebroten [Orbin] to give him some experience, so he can take the reigns of Project Londo later in the block.

ANNOUNCING: Project Blues
(Project Blues is a Delta Quadrant themed boutique product.)

One of the most common complaints we've heard over the years is how little material we've put out for [1E-DQ] fans. We've made some changes, but it's been a trickle and we know it. It's exactly because of these requests that we've started Project Blues - a boutique expansion focused on the Delta Quadrant. The team, being led by James Monsebroten [Orbin], is just getting started but we're planning to have this project out in 2018 as well.

Project G'Kar
Project Londo
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion in the TOS block, and Project Londo is the third.)

Not much has changed with these two projects, so I'll just repeat what I said in the last report. Project G'Kar and Project Londo's lead designers, Dan Hamman and James Monsebroten, respectively, have participated in all of the block planning meetings and are on board with the planned themes. I believe Dan has his team put together and has started preliminary work, while James is still working on assembling his team.

*I'm just teasing, please don't send me an angry email.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks! Looking forward to all of these. Especially the new player experience as I have been trying to get some old friends to re-engage with the game...
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]