This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hi all!

Please use this thread to ask your questions about the Live Long and Prosper. Here are the members of the design team:

Charlie Plaine [MidnightLich]
James Monsebroten [Orbin]
Matt Zinno [commdecker]
Cristoffer Wiker [Smiley]

We'll be answering your questions as we can. Thanks!

-crp

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
So stoked for this guys :D Can't wait to see what else you got in store for us.

Will you be releasing 'Chekov' AIs of every card that mentions the word Vulcan, but with Woolcan?

Ha! Maybe sometime in the future. -crp
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Is Niall's question the stupidest question that's ever been asked in a Designer Q&A?
There's truly no such thing as a stupid question. But Niall is obviously trolling us. :) -crp

What's your favourite card in the set?
Tough to narrow it down to one; I'll give you three. (But I'm feeling non-numerical.)
- The one with a picture of Spock.
- The person who downloads that one.
- The one that Archer downloads.

I like the dilemma; but then again, I like completing patterns. -crp

What's your favourite image in the set?
62V is my favourite image - James M
That's a nice one. Mine might be the related 15V. We almost had a doorway depicting that moment, but the gameplay didn't work.
33 V is pretty perfect. -crp

What Vulcan themes or flavours didn't make the set that we can hope to see in the future?
There's a person and a verb that got held back because they fit well in the next set, and there's a broken link that's planned for the next block.
We had a fifth deck type planned out, but it wasn't as strong as the others. We held all the cards from that story back for the future. -crp

Will the CC make any more affiliations beyond the Vulcans?
That will entirely depend on how this one is received, and on how well it was designed. There are no immediate plans. -crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
To all the designers: What were you thinking?
"Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die?" -crp

(Feel free to put the emphasis on whichever word you like :) )

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There are already more 'exciting' questions. And now that it's officially happening I'm excited to see what's been cooked up for the Vulcans.

But for now I'll settle for why there are Hirogen and Vidiian flags on Accept Ambassadorial Invitation? Is it purely functional (i.e. Alpha Quadrant missions for the Delta races)?

Mostly functional. But it didn't seem unreasonable that the Tholians might look for allies, even in far reaching locations. -crp
Or that those affiliations might be interested in meeting a race that's so different from everyone else.

Does Accept Ambassadorial Invitation count as the Tholian Homeworld?! :shifty:
Homeworlds are for closers affiliations. And this is a race we've seen, what, two of?
-MZ

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Is the new "Scheme" icon intended only for Vulcan-flavored scheming, or do you believe we can look forward to other schemes specifically intended for other affiliations?
The Scheme icon is not intended to be Vulcan only, but the use of it in this set if Vulcan focused - James M
I'm planning an article on this icon to come out very soon. -crp
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
What's your favorite card title in the set?
2V still makes me chuckle every time. But I also like what we did with 5V, and what Creative did with 10V-12V. -MZ
There's a set of three titles that have a pretty major in-joke in them. It makes me giggle. -crp
I agree with 10V - 12V - James M

In the great power ranking of the affiliations, with Vidiians at the bottom and Hirogen* at the top, where do you see Vulcans shaking out?

I'd like to see them land somewhere in the top 1/6th to top 1/3rd range. -crp

*I'm not actually sure what the best affiliation is these days, since the game is in good balance, so I picked Hirogen.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:
Does Accept Ambassadorial Invitation count as the Tholian Homeworld?! :shifty:
While it was talked about, we decided not too... at this time... :shifty:

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is the new [Sch] icon loaded or unloaded?
Unloaded - James M

Is the thing about [Vul] being pre-Fed only absolute, forever or open to some re-examining down the line?
In a game that created [1E-AU] counterparts and [MQ] [S] missions, I wouldn't be surprised if it got re-examined eventually. -MZ
True, but I'd want there to be a really, really, good reason why, and not just have it done because it could be. -crp

Also, are there any [Vul] cards that are not [22]? There's First Contact, Carbon Creek, and the intro from In a Mirror Darkly (mirror First Contact) for this...
Yes - James M
But not from any of those ;-)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
You may include the Pre-warp pack as well as Live Long and Prosper in these questions from Bob.

You're going to have a wild 'what happens in Vegas' style weekend. Who do you take with you?
You ask that in a set full of Vulcans? Fine, I'll take 32V.

Yeah, definitely 32V. It would be a hell of a trip. -crp

You're going to commit a crime. Who do you pick to accompany or otherwise assist?

Again, Vulcans. But ... 30V.
Yup. He's really the only one. Maybe 52V, but he'd absolutely betray you. -crp

You've reached the natural end of your life. Who do you want by your side?

53V
55V because he might extend it. -crp

You need to tell someone a deep personal secret. Who do you tell?

31V
T'Pau because I have a crush on her. -crp

Who's your secret crush?

47V

See above! -crp
 -  
Community Contributor
What was your biggest challenge in creating this set?

Listening to the Enterprise theme song over and over. -MZ
Probably setting on how the Vulcans would work mechanically and how close/different they should be to the way that Starfleet works. - James M

By Karr
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
First of all i would like to thank the crew who worked so hard on the new expansion.

the first cards i saw were amazing. Since now its a great work and iam so curious about the next days and weeks what cards will come up next.

I think theres nothing more to say than:
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
AMAZING WORK!!!
THANKS SO MUCH AND PLEASE GO ON AND NEVER STOP!!!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Were any of you as excited as me to finally see a no-kidding TAS reference on a card in ShirKar (61V)?

Any more canonized TAS references planned for either this set or a future set? (c'Mon, SOMEBODY has to have an idea for a [Vul] ANIMAL - I-Chaya for crying out loud!)
This would probably pose a big challenge for the Art team, as there are no animated images in 1E.
There was a Sehlat card proposed during development. But (and let the speculation commence) it wasn't an ANIMAL.

Any chance of a [Vul] Spock with [SD] Youth either now or later?
Not now -- Spock doesn't fit with the " [Vul] == pre- [Fed] " line. -MZ
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Any chance of a [Vul] Spock with [SD] Youth either now or later?
I'm going to the corner but it was worth it.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
How much playtesting did Cautionary Tale require? I'm excited to dust off some old PAQ Events (been trying to for ages). Was this an idea that's been floating around for awhile or was it unique to the vulcans the whole time?

I meant to have an article about all this to go up today, but I ran out of time to write it. I'll still try, but with GenCon this week it might not happen... Anyway, to answer your question, we'd been talking about giving someone some "spaceline polution" as a theme, so it had been kinda floating around. When we realized how well it matched up Vulcan's thematics (Arrogant/Stubborn/Nosy), we decided to give it a shot. (Others may remember differently.) -crp

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]