This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Jem'HadarMitzvah (Jem'HadarMitzvah)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Afternoon All (or a suitable alternative greeting if your time zone if significantly different to mine)

I have a query on Assimilate Homeworld, or rather how to stop it from happening.

It happened to me (quite unexpectedly) last game I played and I 'lost' almost everything, as I was sitting pretty at Qo'Nos (personnel in the The Great Hall)with Defend Homeworld waiting to be activated.
Also Service the Collective was in play.

Obvious answer is be prepared. (Gowron, Service the Collective and a cube should have been a dead give away :) )
If I had had an away team on the mission, would that have helped?

Lastly typically we play Traditional Set (ie Decipher cards only)

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Jem'HadarMitzvah wrote:Afternoon All (or a suitable alternative greeting if your time zone if significantly different to mine)

I have a query on Assimilate Homeworld, or rather how to stop it from happening.

It happened to me (quite unexpectedly) last game I played and I 'lost' almost everything, as I was sitting pretty at Qo'Nos (personnel in the The Great Hall)with Defend Homeworld waiting to be activated.
Also Service the Collective was in play.

Obvious answer is be prepared. (Gowron, Service the Collective and a cube should have been a dead give away :) )
If I had had an away team on the mission, would that have helped?

Lastly typically we play Traditional Set (ie Decipher cards only)

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.
Hello!

Had a fun game with Jon the other week. He said he'd get a multiplayer on the go soon :D

Right, the best way to stop Assimilate Homeworld is to sacrifice your dudes by attacking each turn. The Borg cannot probe if they were battled on the previous turn.

Tribbles are another way to delay them, try this card ;)

Fun trick: [DELETED] I'll PM you that one.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Wait a sec. If I flood my own Earth with Tribbles, it keeps the Borgs from assimilating it?

:shock:

So many possibilities...

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What could possibly go wrong...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:What could possibly go wrong...
:shifty:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Tribbles do work.. although Borg are the folks who can realistically have Transporter Skill xYES to airlift all the buggers elsewhere. Definitely can cost them a turn (longer if they don't have a ship to park the fuzzy buggers on.)

By Jem'HadarMitzvah (Jem'HadarMitzvah)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hi Mate,

Yeah Jon said you had a blast, I would definitely be up for demoing the 3+ player games.
Although due to peoples time constraints we haven't had a 3 player for a while.
I was also intrigued by the Sealed Tournie deck game you played...sounded so fun. :)

Also thanks for the hints, hadn't considered Tribbles, pretty funny.

So Defend Homeworld doesn't work at all?
And just to clarify everything on the planet is assimilated.

Just seems a bit OP that you can in theory rock up at a homeworld (using transwarp gateway or whatever) beam down, clear dilemmas, and assimilate the homeworld in 1 turn.

Maybe its just because it happened to me :)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Jem'HadarMitzvah wrote:Just seems a bit OP that you can in theory rock up at a homeworld (using transwarp gateway or whatever) beam down, clear dilemmas, and assimilate the homeworld in 1 turn.
The Borg pretty much have two modes:

(1) Sucky
(2) OP

They pretty much balance each other out. No other affiliation could do what they do and get away with it... but no other affiliation has to jump through the hoops Borg have to to do it. The trick is to stop them while they're in Sucky mode before they go OP on you, because they will wreck you. Kinda like the real Borg!
 -  
Community Contributor
Jem'HadarMitzvah wrote: Just seems a bit OP that you can in theory rock up at a homeworld (using transwarp gateway or whatever) beam down, clear dilemmas, and assimilate the homeworld in 1 turn.
Well, they need to acquire a matching counterpart first, and if they've dropped a Gateway at your homeworld, well, you don't got to be a Ferengi to hear what's coming next. ;)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
This is why In the Pale Moonlight is an auto-include in just about every deck I build. If I suspect Borg, I'm dropping it at a Homeworld. If I suspect Borg and I'm operating from a Homeworld, I may even make it a self-seed.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Won't Borg just Adapt past it, though?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Won't Borg just Adapt past it, though?
Sure. But it still buys you a turn to clear out of Dodge. I've had enough one turn wins (and losses) to appreciate the value of even a momentary roadblock. Plus, it's sneaky good against a lot of other affiliations too.

Also, that assumes the Borg player put Adapt in their deck. I won't throw anybody under the bus, but let's just say that isn't ALWAYS a given... :shifty:
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:Won't Borg just Adapt past it, though?
Sure. But it still buys you a turn to clear out of Dodge. I've had enough one turn wins (and losses) to appreciate the value of even a momentary roadblock. Plus, it's sneaky good against a lot of other affiliations too.
Not to mention that the single turn lets you set up the Redshirt bucket brigade. Send random leader to his glorious death against the Borg hordes, and now they *can't* probe next turn. And if you're willing to keep throwing someone to the horde each turn, you can keep them out indefinitely (or possibly just kill 'em off if the numbers are in your favor).

And Borg decks should *always* have an Adapt, just in case. Especially if you're doing Homeworld, because it's not like you can go do the other one instead!

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Redshirt bucket brigade.
They do all need to be leaders, though. Some of my decks will run out of those too soon.
 -  
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote:
AllenGould wrote: Redshirt bucket brigade.
They do all need to be leaders, though. Some of my decks will run out of those too soon.
True, but you're buying a turn per player, and the Borg player is stuck either waiting you out or abandoning the objective (and if they've cleared scouting they can't come back), so it's still pretty win for you.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]