This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
This may be a dumb question, but Minister Kuvak's special skill reads as follows:

"Once each turn, while you examine opponent's hand, draw a card."

Does this skill in and of itself allow him to examine an opponent's hand and thus draw a card? Or does it need you to find some other way to examine an opponent's hand (perhaps with Oratt, who I thought Roger Wilco killed in the first Space Quest game) to use that skill?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The verbiage strikes me as odd also. Maybe we need to put this one in the Q&A thread. I'm assuming you need Oratt, a [DL] , etc to make it work.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Does this skill in and of itself allow him to examine an opponent's hand and thus draw a card?
No. But while you happen to be examining an opponent's hand, you can draw a card!
The verbiage strikes me as odd also.
I'll bet you it would have been "after" except for Alien Probe.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
You need another means of examining someone's hand to use Kuvak's ability. (I had to ask this a few weeks ago when this card was spoiled on Facebook.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So basically, while Alien Probe is in play, Minister Kurak can use his ability at any time?

Also, if I wanted to be pedantic, I could point out that I can examine my opponent's hand any time I want to (at least outside Lackey). I can only examine the back of it, but I'm still examining it. ;)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
EHCCGPP wrote:So basically, while Alien Probe is in play, Minister Kurak can use his ability at any time?
Well, once each turn. And I believe it has to be used either as a valid response or as an order, so really only during your order phase as a practical matter (or right after the initial play of Alien Probe).
Also, if I wanted to be pedantic, I could point out that I can examine my opponent's hand any time I want to (at least outside Lackey). I can only examine the back of it, but I'm still examining it. ;)
If you really wanted to be pedantic, you'd check paragraph 4 of the Glossary entry card play. :D

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: If you really wanted to be pedantic, you'd check paragraph 4 of the Glossary entry card play. :D
Or if you wanted to be exceptionally pedantic, you'd point out that while various cards let you "glance" at your opponents hand, or "expose" your opponents hand, no card specifically states that you "examine your opponent's hand".

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Not_always_but_often wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: If you really wanted to be pedantic, you'd check paragraph 4 of the Glossary entry card play. :D
Or if you wanted to be exceptionally pedantic, you'd point out that while various cards let you "glance" at your opponents hand, or "expose" your opponents hand, no card specifically states that you "examine your opponent's hand".
There is a variety of cards using the exact term, but most of them are backwards-compatible Second Edition cards.

However, Bleed Resources is a First Edition card also using the term.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

Interested but as you know life is a bit nuts with[…]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]