This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Just to be clear, They Call Themselves The Maquis still lets you play [Maq] cards at [MQ] Badlands missions, right? There wasn't some rule change I didn't notice?
It does indeed! I sometimes splash Maquis in my Mirror decks, and there are those who like playing [Maq] across universes using Badlands missions and Multidimensional Transport Device.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:Just to be clear, They Call Themselves The Maquis still lets you play [Maq] cards at [MQ] Badlands missions, right? There wasn't some rule change I didn't notice?
There was a rule change that applied to planets but not to regions.
Current Rulings Document wrote:mirror universe – replace the second paragraph with:
[MQ] cards are often written from the perspective of the mirror universe. When a [MQ] card refers to a planet by name, it means the Mirror Quadrant version of that planet. All other named references to planets mean the normal universe versions of that planet (unless otherwise specified).
Mirror Bajor no longer counts as Bajor unless referenced on [MQ] cards, but Mirror Bajor Region still counts as Bajor Region and Mirror Badlands Region still counts as Badlands Region.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:
There was a rule change that applied to planets but not to regions.
Current Rulings Document wrote:mirror universe – replace the second paragraph with:
[MQ] cards are often written from the perspective of the mirror universe. When a [MQ] card refers to a planet by name, it means the Mirror Quadrant version of that planet. All other named references to planets mean the normal universe versions of that planet (unless otherwise specified).
Mirror Bajor no longer counts as Bajor unless referenced on [MQ] cards, but Mirror Bajor Region still counts as Bajor Region and Mirror Badlands Region still counts as Badlands Region.
When did that rule change happen? Because I was super excited to seed Kolinahr on Mirror Vulcan for some cross-quadrant time travel until I actually looked it up. Did they change that specifically to stop me? :(
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
bhosp wrote:When did that rule change happen? Because I was super excited to seed Kolinahr on Mirror Vulcan for some cross-quadrant time travel until I actually looked it up. Did they change that specifically to stop me? :(
I think it happened when Mirror Earth came out to prevent Stopping First Contact in the MVerse.
 -  
Community Contributor
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:So this rule prevents Mirror Starfleet from using File Annual Report on Monitor Population? FAR can only be used on the Alpha Quadrant versions of Earth?
Correct. And The City of B'Hala can only seed at Alter Records, not Disrupt Alliance.

This was pretty definitely Earth's fault for having so much weird stuff at it, but I'll bet it would have been okay if not for Stop First Contact, which could have allowed Borg players to eliminate Alpha Feds from the game by assimilating Mirror Earth way off in a corner. (Ironically, Mirror Feds would be unaffected.)

EDIT: Although, now that I type that out, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to just change the timeline disruption rules so assimilating Mirror Earth wipes Mirror Feds (and Starfleet) while assimilating Alpha Earth wipes Alpha Feds (and Starfleet).

Because, I, too, was really excited to use Fal-Tor-Pan on Oppress Population in my Mirror Starfleet Dissidents deck until I read the rules.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:So this rule prevents Mirror Starfleet from using File Annual Report on Monitor Population? FAR can only be used on the Alpha Quadrant versions of Earth?
Correct. And The City of B'Hala can only seed at Alter Records, not Disrupt Alliance.

This was pretty definitely Earth's fault for having so much weird stuff at it, but I'll bet it would have been okay if not for Stop First Contact, which could have allowed Borg players to eliminate Alpha Feds from the game by assimilating Mirror Earth way off in a corner. (Ironically, Mirror Feds would be unaffected.)

EDIT: Although, now that I type that out, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to just change the timeline disruption rules so assimilating Mirror Earth wipes Mirror Feds (and Starfleet) while assimilating Alpha Earth wipes Alpha Feds (and Starfleet).

Because, I, too, was really excited to use Fal-Tor-Pan on Oppress Population in my Mirror Starfleet Dissidents deck until I read the rules.
Can't even target Monitor Population with Assimilate Homeworld without a [MQ] [SF] Counterpart though.
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Can't even target Monitor Population with Assimilate Homeworld without a [MQ] [SF] Counterpart though.
Unlikely, but possible with Assimiliate Counterpart, and then things get weird.

Your [Bor] are in the [MQ] assimiliating [MQ] Earth, and you play Stop First Contact to suspend that. That targets Montana Missile Complex, which is a time location... in the Alpha Quadrant.

You must have its corresponding spaceline location, AQ Earth, in play in order to use MMC; (if you don't, the download fails and the card breaks). Montana Missile Complex is an AQ card, too, so you have to take a hike over to AQ Earth, travel back in time FROM THERE to get to the complex, do your thing, and disrupt the timeline in the Alpha Quadrant's past.

There are potential fixes for this, but they're weird, too:

(1) Errata Stop First Contact and Build Interplexing Beacon; change timeline disruption rules.

(2) Create a Mirror Quadrant version of Montana Missile Complex; errata Build Interplexing Beacon to limit it to the same Earth as the one you were trying to assimilate the first time; change timeline disruption rules.

This rule emerged in 2015, when the Errata team was still fairly sclerotic (remember how long it took to fix Taris after the named-in-lore rule changes), so the Rules team may have been averse to using errata to preserve edge-case interactions that (in some cases, like Kolinahr) didn't exist yet.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Why does your Stop First Contact deck even have Monitor Population in it?

This seems like a pretty unlikely edge case on its own.
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Why does your Stop First Contact deck even have Monitor Population in it?
Original sin.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
Thread necro! I'm looking for a 1E person who wants to do the Top 5 for Maquis. Your partner in crime on the 2E side will be Neil Timmons, so fair warning.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
Anybody?

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Captain Parrish (Bruce Parrish)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was mildly succesful with a maquis deck in block using no outpost and you could be invaluable.

Top 5

1. Maquis Quark , because no other reason than im me and hes pretty skill dense for block https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=4553

2. Learning Curve https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=4525 the draw engine

3.Kassid Yates https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=4548 stat booster yes please

4. Stolen Defiant because maquis lack large ships in block to defend themselves this gives them the edge they need to move around freely without fear of attack https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=4513

5. M'vil she has medical no other reason https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=4512

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... 700541ae66
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]