This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:If using Multidimensional Transport Device can I beam straight from Research Historic Accident to Halkan Council (and vice versa) or only to Mine Dilithium?
Pretty sure it's just the mission. Time locations are just that, separate locations, and currently AFAIK, don't have "Opposites"
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Welllllll...
corresponding -
A corresponding location or region in an
“opposite quadrant” is a location or region
with the same name. For example, Bajor in
the normal universe (Alpha Quadrant)
corresponds to Bajor in the mirror universe
(Mirror Quadrant).
The question, then, is this (on a strict reading of the rules): is the location of Halkan Council considered to be "Halkan Planet" or "2267 Halkan Planet"? If it's the first one, then they would be considered corresponding locations within the meaning of Multidimensional Transport Device. Annnnnd.... it's the first one:
time location -
A time location is not a mission or spaceline
location, but it has a corresponding spaceline
location identified by the lore of both cards.
For example, the mission Agricultural
Assessment corresponds to the time location
Sherman’s Peak; both are located at
"Sherman’s Planet"
So are they corresponding locations? Yes.

But don't get too excited yet! The locations do correspond, but you still can't beam directly between them, because moving from any spaceline location to any time location is considered time travel. And, according to time travel (recently updated in the CRD):
Movement between a time location and a spaceline is possible
only via a card that specifically states that it allows such movement,
such as Temporal Vortex or Orb of Time. Cards such as Iconian
Gateway, which do not so specify, do not allow time travel.
Multidimensional Transporter Device does not mention "time travel" or "time locations," so you can't use it to go to the past even though the past location is a corresponding location in the opposite quadrant.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Welllllll...
corresponding -
A corresponding location or region in an
“opposite quadrant” is a location or region
with the same name. For example, Bajor in
the normal universe (Alpha Quadrant)
corresponds to Bajor in the mirror universe
(Mirror Quadrant).
The question, then, is this (on a strict reading of the rules): is the location of Halkan Council considered to be "Halkan Planet" or "2267 Halkan Planet"? If it's the first one, then they would be considered corresponding locations within the meaning of Multidimensional Transport Device. Annnnnd.... it's the first one:
time location -
A time location is not a mission or spaceline
location, but it has a corresponding spaceline
location identified by the lore of both cards.
For example, the mission Agricultural
Assessment corresponds to the time location
Sherman’s Peak; both are located at
"Sherman’s Planet"
So are they corresponding locations? Yes.

But don't get too excited yet! The locations do correspond, but you still can't beam directly between them, because moving from any spaceline location to any time location is considered time travel. And, according to time travel (recently updated in the CRD):
Movement between a time location and a spaceline is possible
only via a card that specifically states that it allows such movement,
such as Temporal Vortex or Orb of Time. Cards such as Iconian
Gateway, which do not so specify, do not allow time travel.
Multidimensional Transporter Device does not mention "time travel" or "time locations," so you can't use it to go to the past even though the past location is a corresponding location in the opposite quadrant.
What if I play Out of Time when i initiate the transport? :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:What if I play Out of Time when i initiate the transport? :)
Well, you can't just play it mid-transport, because Out of Time doesn't suspend play. You have to wait for transport to complete (to Mine Dilithium). THEN you can play Out of Time immediately and time warp back to Halkan Council! Eat your heart out!

But let's say Daniels is in your Away Team, and he allows you to suspend play to download Out of Time before the transport completes. Well, okay. Problem is, you're still at Research Historic Accident. So you can now time travel to 2263 Halkan Planet... in the Alpha Quadrant. And no such time location exists, so Out of Time ends up an illegal play and has no effect. You use one of your MDD transports and gain naught.

So if you have Out Of Time in hand, just use the MDD to transport you to the Mirror Planet and THEN use Out of Time for the time travel. You use the same cards and life is good.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]