This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey all,

I have always been intrigued by a capture deck (never built or played one, though). However, I'm not entirely sure how to play one effectively. Just curious to know how one would do that. Not what cards specifically, I can pretty much muddle through that. But more ... "how" one plays.

For example - if playing Dominion: do you staff a few ships, fly around the spaceline, Invasive Beam-In and personnel battle? From there, you get points from internment camp, Victory is Life, etc, etc.

Do you have a side plan? Does one try to solve missions? Or merely beat the opponent into submission, leave them with nothing, then get a timed/modified win?

As I say, just curious to understand the methodology behind a deck I've never played but have been interested in :)
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I can only talk about the capture decks I have built. I tend to build them more in combination with a solver deck. I will try to capture some people and bring them back to my Forced-labor Camp or Prison Coumpound to score the points I need to get "round the corner" to 100 after I complete two missions.

I really like the capture mechanics of the new [22] Klingons. I would highly recommend looking at them for some capture inspiration.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I always assumed most "capture decks" that really focus on it are just trying to stop the opponent before they can get to 100 points....and then after that, once their opponent is crippled beyond recovery (or mission solvability), they can take their sweet time solving their own way to 100.

Just like a battle deck. Forget about solving, just blow up the opponent's outpost and ships before THEY can solve 100 points. After that, you've got all the time in the world to slowly push through dilemmas with your skill-poor leaders and warriors.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I see I see. Thanks a bunch for the responses guys.

It's more or less what I was thinking. A cardie capture is also a good call. Lots of cardi specific cards to choose from.

Ill definitely look at the kligons as well. I hadn't thought of them for capture decks. I suppose their advantage is they can also battle up a storm. So of you can't capture, destroy instead.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
ChadC wrote:I see I see. Thanks a bunch for the responses guys.

It's more or less what I was thinking. A cardie capture is also a good call. Lots of cardi specific cards to choose from.

Ill definitely look at the kligons as well. I hadn't thought of them for capture decks. I suppose their advantage is they can also battle up a storm. So of you can't capture, destroy instead.
You might also look at Borg assimilation decks. The few I have encountered over the years are nasty as everything to play against.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Comicbookhero wrote:I really like the capture mechanics of the new Klingons. I would highly recommend looking at them for some capture inspiration.
:D

The aim after all when designing [22] [Kli] was to make a capture mechanic that was easily accessible to players old and new. And to blend the capturing with mission attempting without the need to seed 18+ non dilemmas.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:You might also look at Borg assimilation decks. The few I have encountered over the years are nasty as everything to play against.
Indeed. Borg were my "go to" years ago. I gotta re-learn them as they are so different than everyone else. But yes, a Borg Assimilation deck sounds like a TON of fun.

sexecutioner wrote:The aim after all when designing [22] [Kli] was to make a capture mechanic that was easily accessible to players old and new. And to blend the capturing with mission attempting without the need to seed 18+ non dilemmas.
I did notice the last part. Capture decks seem to require a TON of set up, seed card wise. Unless you are WAY quick in getting out to the spaceline, your opponent will run rampant through missions as there will be much less resistance than usual.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
ChadC wrote:
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:You might also look at Borg assimilation decks. The few I have encountered over the years are nasty as everything to play against.
Indeed. Borg were my "go to" years ago. I gotta re-learn them as they are so different than everyone else. But yes, a Borg Assimilation deck sounds like a TON of fun.

sexecutioner wrote:The aim after all when designing [22] [Kli] was to make a capture mechanic that was easily accessible to players old and new. And to blend the capturing with mission attempting without the need to seed 18+ non dilemmas.
I did notice the last part. Capture decks seem to require a TON of set up, seed card wise. Unless you are WAY quick in getting out to the spaceline, your opponent will run rampant through missions as there will be much less resistance than usual.
I'd love to make a deck with no personnel or ships that relies completely on capturing/commandeering or assimilation to play. Unfortunately it would require way too many cards and be way too slow to ever be viable in a tournament.

By Karr
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I have tried a mixture of solver and capture by using the cardassians.

One key card during the match is:
Prison Compound

But there are multiple others, with what u can score points bringing you closer to 100.
Or use Brainwash them to make em yours :)

also important - the cardassian affiliation can do many free plays during a single turn. That makes your deck pretty fast to solve missions.
For example: Dominion War Efforts combined with Assign Support Personnel
Orb Negotiations and Central Command
The use of Terok Nor combined with Sites
and so on ...

The Cardassian ships are quite okay, but not overstrengthed.
Using Spacedoor u can get a Keldon Advanced any time you need.
Just fly to any mission and give it a try.
Or if opponent stucked by a capturing trap card - load aboard your ship those captives you need to score some extra points.

Since Discovery is really just The Michael Burnham[…]

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]