This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
They gave [DL] Classic Communicator to quite a few people, didn't they?

Also, I assume the Cumulativity Rule has no issues with multiple personnel using the Communicator as long as each personnel is only using one Communicator? Do the Communicator users need to target different personnel? Or even different skills on that personnel?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
EHCCGPP wrote:They gave [DL] Classic Communicator to quite a few people, didn't they?

Also, I assume the Cumulativity Rule has no issues with multiple personnel using the Communicator as long as each personnel is only using one Communicator? Do the Communicator users need to target different personnel? Or even different skills on that personnel?
I think the cumulative rule DOES apply. I don't see why it wouldn't.

That said... There is a specific ruling that allows you to SELECT a skill when you [DL] the Communicator. One could argue that selecting a skill isn't the same as re-selecting the skill, which has two implications:

- After [DL] the Communicator and selecting the skill, you can then re-select as a regular action per the Communicator's own text.

- After [DL] the Communicator and selecting the skill, you could use a second [DL] on a different person to get a second Communicator and select A NEW skill, BUT that would count as 're-selecting once each turn' under the cumulative rule.

Obviously that means that these two can't be used together.

The Communicator itself is a good-but-not-great card. What makes it game-winning is the ability to dial it up mid attempt when you are facing a dilemma and you only need one more skill to get through. The other classic equipment can do it for specific skills, but the Communicator can get ANY skill, so as long as you have a skill-diverse crew/away team, lots of good things can happen.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:I think the cumulative rule DOES apply. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Why would it?

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but cumulative rule kicks in when the same card has the same effect on the same target at the same time. This is same card, same time, and same effect... but different targets.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Armus wrote:I think the cumulative rule DOES apply. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Why would it?

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but cumulative rule kicks in when the same card has the same effect on the same target at the same time. This is same card, same time, and same effect... but different targets.
Let us turn, brothers (and sisters) to Ye Olde Glossarye

Under "Classic Communicator"
Because this card is not cumulative, you
may not use two copies to add two skills to
the same personnel, but you may use two
copies to add a skill (the same or different)
to two different personnel (even in the same
crew or Away Team).
It looks like Brother James has the correct reading.

I should really stop trying to answer rules questions, since I'm clearly not very good at it. :?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: I should really stop trying to answer rules questions, since I'm clearly not very good at it. :?
Hey, you were the only person who thought to check the Glossary to see if there was already an entry for this card! That's half the rules job right there.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Hey, you were the only person who thought to check the Glossary to see if there was already an entry for this card! That's half the rules job right there.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Read thy glossary!

First: Saru Last: Burnham I think @jadziadax[…]

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]