This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So, when you get the effect on Ferengi Military Operations, it says to "pick two of the following." Can you choose two of the same effect? Draw 4 cards, score 10 points, etc?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
sevencrdspud wrote:So, when you get the effect on Ferengi Military Operations, it says to "pick two of the following." Can you choose two of the same effect? Draw 4 cards, score 10 points, etc?
I would say no. You have to choose three of the available options.

I think any alternative reading would actually violate the cumulative rule.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Ferengi Military Operations
Plays on table. Once each turn, your [TNG] [Fer] personnel (except V.I.P. or CIVILIAN) may report (for free) to your [Fer] outpost. Once per game, if your [Fer] DaiMon is at a location where you win a battle, capture an opponent's personnel, or commandeer an opponent's ship, choose two of the following: score 5 points, draw two cards, or download an equipment there .

This card gives me a bit of a headache. Either an "or" is missing or I can really command a ship (or capture one) AND then choose 2 things.

Further questions: can I choose to draw 4 cards or collect 10 points?

There is a 2E card with a similar problem:
Lwaxana Troi, Psychic Tutor
"When you play this personnel, you may download up to two cards. Those cards must be Common Ground, Disadvantage Into Advantage, or New Life."
Can I choose the same card twice? I've already heard two different rulings. One side say you have to take different cards, the others just take e.g. 2x common ground. If that is true, then it should also be possible to convert it to the 1E card. ...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm Ferengi Military Operations
Plays on table. Once each turn, your [TNG] [Fer] personnel (except V.I.P. or CIVILIAN) may report (for free) to your [Fer] outpost. Once per game, if your [Fer] DaiMon is at a location where you win a battle, capture an opponent's personnel, or commandeer an opponent's ship, choose two of the following: score 5 points, draw two cards, or download an equipment there .

This card gives me a bit of a headache. Either an "or" is missing or I can really command a ship (or capture one) AND then choose 2 things.
I think you're parsing it wrong - it's:
"Once per game, if your Daimon is at a location where you A, B, or C".
(so, your Daimon has to be there when one of those things happens)
", choose two of the following: X, Y, or Z"
(when you trigger it, you get to pick two of the lovely prizes)

Further questions: can I choose to draw 4 cards or collect 10 points?
Nope, because it says to choose two things, not one thing twice. :)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
AllenGould wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:15 pm
Enabran wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm Ferengi Military Operations

I think you're parsing it wrong - it's:
"Once per game, if your Daimon is at a location where you A, B, or C".
(so, your Daimon has to be there when one of those things happens)
", choose two of the following: X, Y, or Z"
(when you trigger it, you get to pick two of the lovely prizes)
As Allen pointed out, this is an English Language construct:

In English language punctuation, a serial comma, or series comma (also called an Oxford comma or Harvard comma), is a comma placed immediately after the penultimate term (i.e. before the coordinating conjunction [usually and or or]) in a series of three or more terms.

In this case, Once per game, if your [Fer] DaiMon is at a location where you win a battle, capture an opponent's personnel, or commandeer an opponent's ship, the 3 items in the list are:
  1. win
  2. capture
  3. commandeer
After these 3 circumstances are the spoils, which again is an Oxford Comma list:
  1. score
  2. draw
  3. download
from which you must then pick 2 of these 3. As has already been explained, you may not pick the same choice twice, as they are mutually exclusive.
 -  
Community Contributor
And should have mentioned - I can totally see how you could parse the first bit the way you did. The card does suffer from terse templating. :)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
And Lwaxana can get two copies of New Life, etc. for the record.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:59 pm And Lwaxana can get two copies of New Life, etc. for the record.
OK, you've lost me. How does Lwax trigger FMO?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:59 pm And Lwaxana can get two copies of New Life, etc. for the record.
OK, you've lost me. How does Lwax trigger FMO?
She doesn't. He also put in a similar question about a 2E version of Lwaxana.
Enabran wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm Lwaxana Troi, Psychic Tutor
"When you play this personnel, you may download up to two cards. Those cards must be Common Ground, Disadvantage Into Advantage, or New Life."
Can I choose the same card twice? I've already heard two different rulings. One side say you have to take different cards, the others just take e.g. 2x common ground. If that is true, then it should also be possible to convert it to the 1E card. ...
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !