This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Dizzle of Borg (Dizzle of Borg)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
So under the OTF rules, you can't attempt your opponent's missions.... but since the borg don't attempt missions, they scout locations, am I right to assume the borg can establish gateway or assimilate planet on a location an opponent seeded still?

By martok88
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Champion 2023
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E British National Champion 2023
1E German National Champion 2024
1E Swedish National Runner-Up 2018
1E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2023
Scouting has the same restrictions as attempting. OTF rules read:
"Players may not attempt, scout, or complete missions they did not seed unless that mission is ❖ or shows at least 40 points"
Last edited by martok88 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Makes it a little difficult to assimilate homeworld unless they are fed. Why make that card useless unless I seed all the homeworlds? It is hard enough to assimilate a counterpart and then the homeworld without having to seed all the homeworlds yourself.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Dizzle of Borg wrote:Makes it a little difficult to assimilate homeworld unless they are fed. Why make that card useless unless I seed all the homeworlds? It is hard enough to assimilate a counterpart and then the homeworld without having to seed all the homeworlds yourself.
Most decks just come with their own homeworlds and counterparts, and if it happens to screw your opponent that is a bonus

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Just go 6 homeworlds and pack all the counterparts. Then the ones you dont need will make excellent drones.

Also, probably don't listen to me, because I'm bad at this.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
prylardurden wrote:Just go 6 homeworlds and pack all the counterparts. Then the ones you dont need will make excellent drones.

Or willing companions.

And you shouldn't listen to me, either.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote:Just go 6 homeworlds and pack all the counterparts. Then the ones you dont need will make excellent drones.

Niall's HP010 deck ran Earth, Qo'Nos, and Romulus with 3 Nebula missions so he could do any two missions for the win. That's solid design.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Working on my OTF borg deck now. Thats why I'm asking all the questions. Probably just going to pack Qonos romulus and earth. My friends play mostly those three factions... well mostly just fed and klingon really.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think Dizzle does bring up a good point - there's a solid bit of player interaction that is made untenable due to the OTF rule, namely assimilating your opponent's counterpart and then assimilating his homeworld.

The go-to strategy is to stock your own counterpart and your own homeworld. When your opponent ends up playing an affiliation that you plan on targeting anyway, there's little incentive to use his personnel as the basis of your counterpart/homeworld strategy, rather than the stock counterpart you were going to use anyhow - and that contributes to the feeling of Star Trek CCG solitaire, when the Borg are specifically designed to be a player-interactive affiliation.

It would be cool if the OTF rules brought an errata to Assimilate Homeworld with it. Perhaps:

"Plays on table. Target both an unassimilated homeworld on spaceline and your matching counterpart. Your Borg may scout that homeworld (including opponent's, if your counterpart was assimilated). If your counterpart is at that spaceline location, you may probe"

I think the additional requirement of having to grab your counterpart from your opponent makes the mission-stealing difficult enough to prevent it from being abusive. (And if you want to do it the old-fashioned way, you still could).
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
As a minor side note, you don't have to stock Earth if you just want to torment your opponent, because Earth is worth 40 points and thus is stealable anyway. (Well, unless they're using Research Devastating Attack.)

Of course, essentially all winning Borg decks today depend on some flavor of Stop First Contact, so you'll probably need it anyway.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Of course, essentially all winning Borg decks today depend on some flavor of Stop First Contact, so you'll probably need it anyway.
Harness Particle 010 provides some competition. Those decks will still usually assimilate a homeworld, but any stoppage of first contacts would be moot at that point since the game would be over.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
The rule could also be changed to allow attempts on opponents homeworld missions only Globally. Note that most of the homeworlds can't be completed by the faction that seeds it. Part of the original downfall of seeding a homeworld was that the opponent basically got an extra mission to attempt, while you benefitted from a ton of homeworld only stuff. It was designed that way as a balance.

People still putting lots of stuff on their homeworld? If so it would make sense to play test and observe what sort of balance a change like that might bring to your meta. If the cost of seeding a homeworld becomes greater, then those deck archetypes have to find ways to deal with the original flaw of homeworld decks, infiltration.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]