This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
Mogor wrote:Why is locutus impacted but not data
Because Data of Borg is not human.
As far as story goes and timeline logic, if the earth was erased from the timeline. There would be no Data.

This would be an area that an adjustment to the rules would be appropriate.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Mogor wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
As far as story goes and timeline logic, if the earth was erased from the timeline. There would be no Data.

Oh, I agree that as far as Trek Sense goes, it's a glaring hole.

By Dizzle of Borg (Dizzle of Borg)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
This would explain why all the decklists I see do not run Locutus.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Mogor wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:

Down that path be dragons...
How many steps would we have to go? Too complicated, would need a crazy glossary of affected cards.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
I always get a kick out of Stopping First Contact

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dizzle of Borg wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
This would explain why all the decklists I see do not run Locutus.

You'll need Locutus as counterpart as target for Assimilate Homeworld first..

This is my STF deck played in 2014 and went 2-2 with it, has 6 Locuti in it..:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... eckID=9936

By Dizzle of Borg (Dizzle of Borg)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Assimilate Homeworld - Plays on table. Target both an unassimilated homeworld on spaceline and your matching counterpart. Your Borg may scout that homeworld. If your counterpart is at that spaceline location, you may probe:

Data of Borg Flavor text- Tempted by flesh, the Soong-type android Data filled Locutus' role as an assimilated counterpart to speak to the Federation.

Seems to me like data can be used to assimilate the fed homeworld. Idk though, I'm not the expert.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dizzle of Borg wrote:Assimilate Homeworld - Plays on table. Target both an unassimilated homeworld on spaceline and your matching counterpart. Your Borg may scout that homeworld. If your counterpart is at that spaceline location, you may probe:

Data of Borg Flavor text- Tempted by flesh, the Soong-type android Data filled Locutus' role as an assimilated counterpart to speak to the Federation.

Seems to me like data can be used to assimilate the fed homeworld. Idk though, I'm not the expert.
Maybe you can true, 2014 I guess I didn't notice, but removing Locutus after STF wasn't really a problem either...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dizzle of Borg wrote:Assimilate Homeworld - Plays on table. Target both an unassimilated homeworld on spaceline and your matching counterpart. Your Borg may scout that homeworld. If your counterpart is at that spaceline location, you may probe:

Yeah. Either Data or Locutus work. The drawback to Locutus is that he goes away* after SFC is complete, while Data just returns to hand. That makes it harder to Service the Collective on your future objectives.

*Does he though? I thought there was something about time traveling protecting people, but I may be wrong/out of date on that point.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dizzle of Borg wrote:Another thing that has NEVER made sense to me, ever since decipher released first contact....was Stop first contact. I dont understand why I would go through all the trouble and cards to do it "the long way" if I can just probe red and assimilate their homeworld anyway. There is no points bonus for stopping first contact, and it is referenced on very few cards... so I don't really see the point other than flavor. Someone in another thread mentioned that most good borg decks play stop first contact, and that is something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. There don't seems to be any benefits.
It's only worth it if you're playing v Fed/human, because you get to lock 'em out. Otherwise you might as well just take your Homeworld and move along.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Dizzle of Borg wrote:Another thing that has NEVER made sense to me, ever since decipher released first contact....was Stop first contact. I dont understand why I would go through all the trouble and cards to do it "the long way" if I can just probe red and assimilate their homeworld anyway. There is no points bonus for stopping first contact, and it is referenced on very few cards... so I don't really see the point other than flavor. Someone in another thread mentioned that most good borg decks play stop first contact, and that is something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. There don't seems to be any benefits.
It's only worth it if you're playing v Fed/human, because you get to lock 'em out. Otherwise you might as well just take your Homeworld and move along.
But, in your scenario, its a 3 mission win, no matter what. AH is 40. 2x Establish Gateway / Assimilate Planet for 50. 10 for Res is Futile.

SFC is a 2 mission win. SFC/AH is 40. Flip pop 9 bil, establish gateway for 50 + Res is futile.

So sure, if your opponent isnt playing Fed, the lockout factor is lost. But you still only need 2 solves for the win!

The only other 2 mission win for Borg is H010 + AH.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:

Yeah. Either Data or Locutus work. The drawback to Locutus is that he goes away* after SFC is complete, while Data just returns to hand. That makes it harder to Service the Collective on your future objectives.

*Does he though? I thought there was something about time traveling protecting people, but I may be wrong/out of date on that point.
That is a good point, when Locutus is at the time location when timeline disruption occurs he should be fine. I had him always there when it occured.
I honestly don't remember removing him...

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So here's what *I* say should happen:

Locutus of Borg helps Stop First Contact. Therefore, Earth as we know it no longer exists. So he no longer exists. So he goes poof. So therefore, he did NOT help the Borg Stop First Contact. So he doesn't go poof. But then he DID help the Borg Sto...

"Snake, you've created a time paradox in 2063!"

Both players lose.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]