This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
...that came up during deck building:

- in an Enterprise-E deck with Launch the Phoenix etc.. it seems feasible to use Research Devastating Attack instead of Espionage Mission to avoid Earth being stolen. Correct?

- Can Repatriate Citizen be used as Klingon Homeworld in any deck or only in [22] decks?

- Can I replay personnel that my opponent has assimilated (drones/counterpart)? Is there a card against it? I know there is one in 2e.

- The combo Undetected Beam In / Contingency Plan is often used with Cytherians as finisher. How about Conundrum instead? Or does that defeat the purpose of assimilation?

- Can I have Commander Data and Data in play? Same with Commander Troi and Deanna Troi?
I think so but not sure.

- The new Empress is mainly for which objective? Where did Mirror SF have problems? I assume it's Consolidate Power due to the battle requirement... correct?

- Mirror SF has the no cards in hand theme, but the few decks listed don't seem to run with that . Not worth it?
Most no-card -in-hands cards are TNG logo cards, although they seem to be aimed at mirror SF use, why is that?

- These Are The Voyages is a [WC] card, but I guess there is no easy way to also have Finest Crew in the Fleet on the table at the same time?

Thanks a lot :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote:.
Oh good, Manassters scouting report! :wink:
- in an Enterprise-E deck with Launch the Phoenix etc.. it seems feasible to use Research Devastating Attack instead of Espionage Mission to avoid Earth being stolen. Correct?
Correct, but you can't use HQ Secure Homeworld or get Strategema/Defend Homeworld protection because that version is the Starfleet Homeworld, not the Federation Homeworld
- Can Repatriate Citizen be used as Klingon Homeworld in any deck or only in [22] decks?
Any deck. It's a persona of Expose Covert Supply.
- Can I replay personnel that my opponent has assimilated (drones/counterpart)? Is there a card against it? I know there is one in 2e.
Not uniques. You still have a copy of that unique person in play, you just don't control them. Ditto when your unique ship gets commandeered. It's basically the opposite of the 2e rule.
- The combo Undetected Beam In / Contingency Plan is often used with Cytherians as finisher. How about Conundrum instead? Or does that defeat the purpose of assimilation?
There's a couple of things to consider on this one:

-Your opponent might pass Conundrum and solve the mission if they brought Int>40 with them
-Conundrum can be nuked by Guinan, Madam Guinan, or Timepod Ring
-Assuming you're running Mission Debriefing, Cytherians stops the crew before they can even move, buying you an extra turn.

Given the above, it's not obvious that Conundrum is the better play.
- Can I have Commander Data and Data in play? Same with Commander Troi and Deanna Troi?
I think so but not sure.
Yes. There's no reason that you couldn't.
- The new Empress is mainly for which objective? Where did Mirror SF have problems? I assume it's Consolidate Power due to the battle requirement... correct?
Presumably.
- Mirror SF has the no cards in hand theme, but the few decks listed don't seem to run with that . Not worth it?
Most no-card -in-hands cards are TNG logo cards, although they seem to be aimed at mirror SF use, why is that?
No idea. I defer to the experts on this one.
- These Are The Voyages is a [WC] card, but I guess there is no easy way to also have Finest Crew in the Fleet on the table at the same time?
Um.... Q Tent --> Card Play? That's how the Romulans do it...

Thanks a lot :)
:cheersL:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Yes, but your [Fed] lose Strategema protection at Earth, since RDA is not a Federation homeworld. (Just a Starfleet homeworld.)
Any. Enjoy.
You may not. The assimilated personnel is under your opponent's control, but you still played him and must follow the uniqueness rule until he leaves play.
Dunno much about Borg assimilator decks, and there really aren't many out there, so I vote you experiment!
- Can I have Commander Data and Data in play? Same with Commander Troi and Deanna Troi? I think so but not sure.
Yes.
Whichever you want! But, yeah, Consolidate Power seems like the most difficult one. The trouble, of course, is that drawing into Empress is not simple.
That's my experience so far. Tyranny is the centerpiece card of that strategy, but it discards so quickly that keeping it fueled is tough. It's by no means unplayable, and you can certainly win games with it, but it's a complicated, difficult deck that isn't substantially better than simpler ones in the same affiliation. I mean, when you can just load a bunch of MACOs in a shotgun and fire it at the spaceline for quick, reliable wins without having to think too much, it's hard to justify turning to the hellbent mechanic.
My impression is because there is a portion of the Creative team that disdains Enterprise and sought a way to do non-Enterprise stories on the verbs in Terran Empire. Design signed off on that decision, and there's a case to be made that the variety in the set was nice.
No, and that's deliberate -- bit too much power there. You can (and should!) stack TATV with Attention All Hands and/or Fed Holograms and/or Office of the President and/or Scientific Diplomacy, though -- y'know, the usual TNG Feddie spam.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks all for the answers...

Armus wrote:
Oh good, Manassters scouting report! :wink:
Of course I am playing something completely different.... :P

Correct, but you can't use HQ Secure Homeworld or get Strategema/Defend Homeworld protection because that version is the Starfleet Homeworld, not the Federation Homeworld

But I can attempt and solve it with Protect Historic Encounter, right?

Another question while we're at it:
Launch The Phoenix says: ".... you may seed Montana Missile Complex..." MMC then counts towards your 30 seed cards, correct?

However, for example The Inner Light says: "..download and seed Ressikan Flute.." If you do so during the seed phase Ressikan FLute does not count towards your 30 seed cards, right?

Thanks
 -  
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote: But I can attempt and solve it with Protect Historic Encounter, right?
Correct!
Another question while we're at it:
Launch The Phoenix says: ".... you may seed Montana Missile Complex..." MMC then counts towards your 30 seed cards, correct?
Correct!
However, for example The Inner Light says: "..download and seed Ressikan Flute.." If you do so during the seed phase Ressikan FLute does not count towards your 30 seed cards, right?
Correct! The downloaded Flute is technically stocked in your draw deck, not your seed deck, so it can not count toward the 30-card seed deck limit.

(It DOES count toward your draw deck's 30-card minimum, though, which is why many of the leanest and meanest decks in the game rely on seed-phase downloads: they can get their draw deck down to 22 or 23 cards before they even draw seven cards!)
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
James reminds me of the Vulcan computer from Star Trek IV. "Correct!"
 -  
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote:James reminds me of the Vulcan computer from Star Trek IV. "Correct!"
Correct!
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !