This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which story for Dax should we turn into a personnel?

Kira Lela
No votes
0%
Tobin O'Brien
No votes
0%
Leeta Emony
18%
Quark Audrid
2%
Torias Bashir
No votes
0%
Joran Sisko
36%
Curzon Odo
36%
Jadzia (Incomplete)
9%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to step 3 of the Will of the Collective! We're going to be making a card based on the character of "Dax," specifically from the episode "Facets." Because of the specific nature of the chosen character, we'll be skipping the nomination step and get back on schedule with a vote.

In this poll, you'll vote on the story for "Dax" that will ultimately become the fourth community-created card. Because the option was specifically Dax from "Facets," those are the options that you'll find in the poll above.

Your job now is to vote on the story you want to see turned into a card. This poll will be up for just 24 hours - a single day - ending around 11:30 AM Pacific on Monday, January 22nd. Each of you will be able to vote for your favorite, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

If we don't have a clear winner, there will be a runoff vote posted after this poll closes. A runoff will be triggered if the top two choices are tied, or if their combined total number of votes is less than half the total number of votes. So vote, then feel free to reply to this thread with your votes and try to sway others to your side!

Happy voting, all! After the story is picked, we'll open up nominations for special skills and/or special downloads.

-crp

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Question, would these possibly be dual/multi-affiliation personnel?

Dax is mainly Federation, but the personnel the host could be Bajoran or Ferengi? And someone like Curzon had ties with Klingon, so could be multiple (Fed, Kli, Baj).

That would be awesome. I only ask b/c picking the affiliation is not part of the setup.

Thanks,
~D

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Maelwys wrote:I don't have any immediate preference between these... anybody have any strong feelings that wants to make an argument and try to win my vote? ;-)
Just two words: Curzon Odo!
 -  
Prophet
HoodieDM wrote:Question, would these possibly be dual/multi-affiliation personnel?

Dax is mainly Federation, but the personnel the host could be Bajoran or Ferengi? And someone like Curzon had ties with Klingon, so could be multiple (Fed, Kli, Baj).

That would be awesome. I only ask b/c picking the affiliation is not part of the setup.

Thanks,
~D
It is possible, yes. Though I think it's more likely they would retain the original host affiliation. I'll think about it, consult with some fellow designers, and if it makes sense to add in an affiliation voting step, I will.

-crp

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:if it makes sense to add in an affiliation voting step, I will.-crp
I think it definitely does.
For many of them, the argument could be made for Federation or Non-Aligned. Some, such as Quark or Kira, could possibly retain the affiliation of their host (Ferengi/Bajoran) - though this is a debatable point. I would personally put mind over matter here, but what affiliation should a non-Starfleet Trill be anyway? It might be assumed Trill was a member of the UFP, but I don't believe this was ever officially stated, and it certainly may not have been the case at the time of some of the earlier hosts. The Dax symbiont was joined to Lela for example when the UFP was just 7 years old. It seems unlikely that the Trill would have joined the Federation so early in its history.

If we take Odo, which I'm betting it will be (oh look on the homepage; what a coincidence!), he was a special case as he was a "joined" entity, Curzon and Odo. Curzon was a Federation diplomat, but Odo works for the Bajorans. A case could be made for either, or both affiliations (as well as possibly Non-Aligned and maybe even Klingon given what we know about the character).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gotta push for Emony.

DS9 McCoy
Hands of a Surgeon

So many possibilities! Get on board now and let's make it happen!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
If Kira or Odo win, how likely is it that the resulting personnel will be a conversion of the 2E card (both of which are BC)?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote:If Kira or Odo win, how likely is it that the resulting personnel will be a conversion of the 2E card (both of which are BC)?
I have no inside knowledge, but I predict 100%.

Though it might be one of those "conversions" that has little in common with the original.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:If Kira or Odo win, how likely is it that the resulting personnel will be a conversion of the 2E card (both of which are BC)?
We can slap the icon on or not, ultimately it won't make a difference.

What we should not do however is restrict the design options based on what the other game has already done. If we do that, the whole thing becomes pointless because we're not really creating a new card at all.

So in effect, I'd say no. Not a conversion. - Makes it easier that way. Then we can choose our own image etc. (as a community).

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
I have no inside knowledge, but I predict 100%.

Though it might be one of those "conversions" that has little in common with the original.
I've never understood conversions that weren't conversions, but that's a separate issue.

Will of the Collective should be designing a brand new card.

If those two 2EBC do end up being converted then they'll be influenced by the choices made here regarding persona, host, etc.

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Zef'No wrote:We can slap the icon on or not, ultimately it won't make a difference.

What we should not do however is restrict the design options based on what the other game has already done. If we do that, the whole thing becomes pointless because we're not really creating a new card at all.

So in effect, I'd say no. Not a conversion. - Makes it easier that way. Then we can choose our own image etc. (as a community).
100%. The whole point of this project is to create something from scratch and simply converting a card undermines that completely. A separation of the two editions are imminent anyway; let's approach this as if that is already the case.

:borg:
 -  
Prophet
That depends on the timing of the final release. It would be marked in name only. Whether or not it's a factor for the card you make depends on all of you.

-crp

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]