This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which other special skill/download, if any, should appear on Joran Sisko?

No other special skills/downloads
67%
[DL] Any Benjamin Sisko (discards this one).
16%
[DL] I Do Not Take Orders From You!
14%
[SD] May report for free to your Jadzia Dax.
2%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to step 6.5 of the Will of the Collective! Because there was not a clear winner in the previous poll, and due to some confusion about the number of special skills on our card, we're going to have this runoff poll!

The winner of the previous poll was [DL] Shrouded Assailant. But I failed to provide a way for people to vote if Joran Sisko would have more than one special skill or download. Thus, this runoff poll will be done slightly differently than normal (and previously announced). I'm going to make the executive decision that [DL] Shrouded Assailant will be a download on the finished design. Therefore, this runoff poll will be used to determine if that's the only special skill/download, or if there will be more than one.

This poll includes the next four (4) highest ranking options from the original poll, including the default "No" option. In this poll, you'll all vote to determine if there is a second skill on Joran Sisko, and if so, which one. This poll will be up for just 24 hours - a single day - ending around 3:00 PM Pacific on Saturday, January 27th. Each of you will be able to vote for one of the choices, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

Happy voting, all! After this vote, we'll start picking regular skills!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
I'm going to try and make some mock ups so you can see how much room (approximately) these take on the cards. I'm at work, though, and sneaking around a bit, so it might take a little time.

-crp

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for no other skill.

The other download is, as was pointed out, very similar to Shrouded Assailant. While I would have preferred I Do Not Take Orders From You over this one, that ship has sailed.

I've already explained my view on the Benjamin Sisko replacement download and May report to Jadzia Dax special skill before, and I assume there is no reason to restate that here but suffice it to say I don't think any of these are appropriate.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
I feel like the Sisko download and the Jadzia free report should both be universal options on a Zhian'tara card at some point (if this cycle is ever continued), and aren't really things specific to Joran in any way. And as others have said, the other interrupt is too similar to the one already on the card. So I've voted for no other specials, one is sufficient.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:I feel like the Sisko download and the Jadzia free report should both be universal options on a Zhian'tara card at some point (if this cycle is ever continued), and aren't really things specific to Joran in any way. And as others have said, the other interrupt is too similar to the one already on the card. So I've voted for no other specials, one is sufficient.
Agreed on the Jadzia free report, and I would even extend it to Ezri (ie any non [MQ] Dax) since not only would she do a Zhian'tara at some point but it was basically the same thing as what she did in Field of Fire.

I disagree with the Sisko download because I feel it takes away from using Joran if you can suddenly get rid of him. Besides I'd say the Feds don't need the option (download Benjamin Sisko (Emissary) with Defend Homeworld) while if important enough the Bajorans will Ops download The Emissary or Ben Sisko[/card1] first turn. The Klingons might find a use between this and Jod'mos or they might not. The other affiliations don't have that problem unless Dr. Noah is really important enough in which case they might include something with a holodeck and Dr. Noah's Mountain Hideout.
Last edited by Slayer07 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
I've attached some rough mock ups of each variation of the card. I made these quick and dirty in our development software, Utopia Planetia. The spacing and fonts aren't the same on these as they are on finished cards, so take them with a fairly generous helping of salt.

-crp
Attachments:
Joran w/Shroud & Dax Skill
Joran w/Shroud & Dax Skill
joran_shroud_jadzia.jpeg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Joran w/ Shroud & Orders DL
Joran w/ Shroud & Orders DL
joran_shroud_orders.jpeg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Joran w/ Shroud & Sisko DL
Joran w/ Shroud & Sisko DL
joran_shroud_sisko.jpeg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Joran w/ Shroud DL Only
Joran w/ Shroud DL Only
joran_shroud.jpeg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Considering how limited space is on personnel cards, assuming we go with the usual 3/2 lore/gametext frame that most personnel use, Shrouded Assailant should take up at least half a line of the gametext box. Leaving.. about room for 4 regular skills. And most personnel only have one special skill/download.

I'm content with having just one special skill. Leaves more room for 'regular' skills.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jrch5618 wrote:Considering how limited space is on personnel cards, assuming we go with the usual 3/2 lore/gametext frame that most personnel use, Shrouded Assailant should take up at least half a line of the gametext box. Leaving.. about room for 4 regular skills. And most personnel only have one special skill/download.

I'm content with having just one special skill. Leaves more room for 'regular' skills.
Depends on the lore we might not need the three spaces, but that's hard to say. The thing is my thought is he should only be eligible for three skills that I can think of. If it were to happen I'd be okay with how the second mock up looks, but of course that leaves him with two very similar downloads.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Slayer07 wrote:
jrch5618 wrote:Considering how limited space is on personnel cards, assuming we go with the usual 3/2 lore/gametext frame that most personnel use, Shrouded Assailant should take up at least half a line of the gametext box. Leaving.. about room for 4 regular skills. And most personnel only have one special skill/download.

Depends on the lore we might not need the three spaces, but that's hard to say. The thing is my thought is he should only be eligible for three skills that I can think of. If it were to happen I'd be okay with how the second mock up looks, but of course that leaves him with two very similar downloads.
Looks like you could fit Music (x2) Treachery (x2) and Anthropology on there with the Shrouded Assailant and Sisko Downloads and still have it work.

I'm 13 votes off the pace so I have to do something! :D

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:

Looks like you could fit Music (x2) Treachery (x2) and Anthropology on there with the Shrouded Assailant and Sisko Downloads and still have it work.

I'm 13 votes off the pace so I have to do something! :D
That same skill list could work with the Shrouded Assailant and I Do Not Take Orders From You download and still have room for three skills too, and I think it looks neater :P . Ignoring of course that Joran doesn't need two very similar downloads. If anything it looks like one download and no special skill. Oh and not sold on Joran having Music x2.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really think " [DL] Any blade weapon" should be a voting option.

It might not have done well in the previous vote, but that was before "Shrouded Assailant" was guaranteed to be on the card. Now the reasons to vote (or not vote) for other options, including "Any blade weapon" (the most relevant alternative option) are completely different and aren't going to have been reflected by the previous vote.

As it stands, "Shrouded Assailant" requires me to play two cards to get the benefit of that interrupt, which isn't very strong. The only decks that tend to pack blade weapons already are into personnel battle.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
frakkingoff wrote:I really think " [DL] Any blade weapon" should be a voting option.

It might not have done well in the previous vote, but that was before "Shrouded Assailant" was guaranteed to be on the card. Now the reasons to vote (or not vote) for other options, including "Any blade weapon" (the most relevant alternative option) are completely different and aren't going to have been reflected by the previous vote.

As it stands, "Shrouded Assailant" requires me to play two cards to get the benefit of that interrupt, which isn't very strong. The only decks that tend to pack blade weapons already are into personnel battle.
What if we tweaked it to " [DL] Shrouded Assailant (ignoring blade weapon)" or some such. Similar to the The Doctor's [DL] Mobile Holo-emitter and make that the only special skill. That way, the kill function is self contained to Joran, and you can still nuke a Handshake, which is always fun.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
frakkingoff wrote:I really think " [DL] Any blade weapon" should be a voting option.

What if we tweaked it to " [DL] Shrouded Assailant (ignoring blade weapon)" or some such. Similar to the The Doctor's [DL] Mobile Holo-emitter and make that the only special skill. That way, the kill function is self contained to Joran, and you can still nuke a Handshake, which is always fun.
Well I hate to say it but that might be the only option. As I've said before as of right now there is only one blade weapon in the entire game that Joran even has a chance of using and that is Mirror Dagger. The others are for Klingons only as well as one for several Dominion species, and Hirogen Talon and I don't have to tell you who that is for.

Inherently I actually think having him ignore the blade weapon is a bad idea but I see no other way to make this download more useful given the limited amount of blade weapons available for him to use...note this would not be a problem with I Do Not Take Orders From You ;).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Slayer07 wrote:
Armus wrote:

Well I hate to say it but that might be the only option. As I've said before as of right now there is only one blade weapon in the entire game that Joran even has a chance of using and that is Mirror Dagger. The others are for Klingons only as well as one for several Dominion species, and Hirogen Talon and I don't have to tell you who that is for.

Inherently I actually think having him ignore the blade weapon is a bad idea but I see no other way to make this download more useful given the limited amount of blade weapons available for him to use...note this would not be a problem with I Do Not Take Orders From You ;).
You don't have to sell me - I didnt vote for shrouded assailant... :wink:

As I said previously, I'd be ok with either, just not both, of those interrupts. Unfortunately, ours was not the prevailing opinion, and that starship has clearly left the spacedock at this point, so now we have to work with what we have, even if it's not ideally what we would have wanted.

Dont blame me, I voted for Emony :P

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]