This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I know that Patrol Neutral Zone decks used to be pretty common and a bit abusive in miking the most points off of one mission which necessitated the use of The Wake of the Borg, but maybe it's time for an errata?

I like the Neutral Zone missions by and large, and after shuffling through some of the virtual missions I see that there are "new" (to me!) Neutral Zone missions as well, but I'm always hesitant to use any of them as The Wake of the Borg is a [Ref] card and easy to stack in any deck with a Q's Tent: Civil War to retrieve and use.

Why not change The Wake of the Borg to only affect Patrol Neutral Zone as that was the main culprit? I'm sure this is probably low on the priority list of things to do but I do think that it would open up the other Neutral Zone missions to see more play without fear of your ships and facilities being wiped off the spaceline.

Are there any other reasons I'm unaware of why this card has been largely unchanged all this time? Does anyone still stack it in their side decks? Am I being wary of this card for no good reason?

:borg:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
It's the Neutral Zone, you shouldn't be setting up camp there.

If someone is running QTCW, this card will likely be in there, for the simple reason that there aren't a lot of options for [Ref] cards these days since the biggest ones have become OTF Rules. When I fill up the [Ref] half of my tent, there are about 11 cards, including this one, that are auto-include and the last two spots boil down to deck specific circumstances.

Bottom line, if you're going to run Neutral Zone-heavy, at least toss one non-NZ mission in there to park your facility.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:It's the Neutral Zone, you shouldn't be setting up camp there.

If someone is running QTCW, this card will likely be in there, for the simple reason that there aren't a lot of options for [Ref] cards these days since the biggest ones have become OTF Rules. When I fill up the [Ref] half of my tent, there are about 11 cards, including this one, that are auto-include and the last two spots boil down to deck specific circumstances.

Bottom line, if you're going to run Neutral Zone-heavy, at least toss one non-NZ mission in there to park your facility.
Or just fix/cap Patrol Neutral Zone already and get rid of this F-ing card.

It's not like Bajor System or Badlands or DMZ are any different. Why should one system be penalized for a specific card?

~D
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
HoodieDM wrote:

It's not like Bajor System or Badlands or DMZ are any different. Why should one system be penalized for a specific card?

~D
Navigate Plasma Storms 'punishes' the Badlands but also The Wake of the Borg definitely shouldn't have the [Ref] symbol, I'm fine with it existing though.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
HoodieDM wrote:

~D
I'm just as suprised that this hasn't been fixed. I can think of a lot of cool deck archetypes based around the neutral zone.

Errata'ing the mission and then ban the WOTB until it can be errata'd into something better. A simple cap to 30 or 35 points max for the missions would suffice wouldn't it?

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

You are correct but it isn't an explanation as to why this issue hasn't been fixed. I remember it being brought up over 5 years ago. I don't know if its been tried to be fixed but the fact that it isn't fixed and limits usage of cards.

Effectively, it bans any neutral zone missions from usage. Can you still use them? Yes, but why would you?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I dunno about all y'alls meats, but we see Neutral Zone all the time.

Just don't build there. You'll be fine. And you get mad turtling advantage to make up for it.

PNZ isn't great, though, but I think that's due to OTF rules more than anything.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: PNZ isn't great, though, but I think that's due to OTF rules more than anything.
Agreed. PNZ is absolutely playable outside of OTF, because the same cards that keep you from building there can also be used to keep your opponent out.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:I dunno about all y'alls meats
Well, out here in California, we just like a good burger... except for our vegetarian and vegan friends of course.

Texas is more steak country.

Chicken tends to be fairly universal though, and...

...wait, that was a typo, wasn't it?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]