This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Majestic (Doug Taylor)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
So I've kind of got the bug again (a bit) to purchase some more cards. It's a lot of fun to rip open packs and chase the hard to find cards inside, get cool new personas (for sets you may not have purchased 'back in the day'), and just experience the fun of collecting.

I know there's really no need to do so anymore. But I have most 1E cards from most of the sets. I even purchased some of The Motion Pictures at some point, though I hardly played the game at that point. For some reason I never got a single pack of All Good Things.

Now I see that I can get some sets for super cheap (Mirror, Mirror, one I had hardly anything of, for like $10 a box), but then others are ridiculously expensive: TMP is often $30 a pack and hundreds of $ for a box. All Good Things boxes seem to range between $1,000 and $3,000!!!

Does anyone know why some of those are so difficult to find, and are so expensive? Did they just not produce much of them? Did collectors snatch up the little bit that was out there?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Because they printed very few of them.

Decipher actually cut their initial production number by 90%. I actually pre-ordered a set on Ebay back in the day, and had my pre-order cancelled before release. The after-market price spiked very shortly thereafter, and never came down.

EDIT: My response was specific to All Good Things, fyi.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Basic supply and demand. Either, the print runs were very different or some sets were very popular (Blaze of Glory and First Contact are also up there, and in the latter case people wanting fresh unopened packs for Add Distinctiveness is sucking up a lot of the back supply.)

Conversely, the PAQ sets, Trouble With Tribbles and Mirror, Mirror are very cheap, because (if I'm correct,) they printed a ton of those sets.

I feel your pain, OP. I'm within sight of completing a full 1E set other than AGT, but it's unlikely I'll ever have the complete complete set.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
EHCCGPP wrote:Basic supply and demand. Either, the print runs were very different or some sets were very popular (Blaze of Glory and First Contact are also up there, and in the latter case people wanting fresh unopened packs for Add Distinctiveness is sucking up a lot of the back supply.)

Conversely, the PAQ sets, Trouble With Tribbles and Mirror, Mirror are very cheap, because (if I'm correct,) they printed a ton of those sets.

I feel your pain, OP. I'm within sight of completing a full 1E set other than AGT, but it's unlikely I'll ever have the complete complete set.
I saw a sealed box of First Contact on eBay for $90 a couple of years ago. I snapped it right up and haven't seen another for anything less than a three figure price tag.

Even Holodeck Adventures boxes are getting harder to find and more expensive.

And don't even get me started on SWCCG product. Holy hell.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Armus wrote:
EHCCGPP wrote:Basic supply and demand. Either, the print runs were very different or some sets were very popular (Blaze of Glory and First Contact are also up there, and in the latter case people wanting fresh unopened packs for Add Distinctiveness is sucking up a lot of the back supply.)

I saw a sealed box of First Contact on eBay for $90 a couple of years ago. I snapped it right up and haven't seen another for anything less than a three figure price tag.

SWCCG product is even worse because the PC decided that virtual cards must be in front of specific physical cards, rather than any old thing. (My advice: go to your favourite FLGS and offer to buy up a ton of their unmoveable Magic: the Gathering bulk.)

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
nobthehobbit wrote:
Armus wrote:

SWCCG product is even worse because the PC decided that virtual cards must be in front of specific physical cards, rather than any old thing. (My advice: go to your favourite FLGS and offer to buy up a ton of their unmoveable Magic: the Gathering bulk.)
About 5 years ago, I was assorting my entire STCCG collection. Everything I didn't need went on a pile and was sold.

What I also did keep was a box containing about 800 Alternate Universe cards (commons and some uncommons).
Why? Because they are PERFECT for glueing printed virtual cards on them, permanently. Unlike the later editions, they don't have this smooth surface, but rather a somewhat rough one.
Premiere cards however are bad because of the white border (and I don't want to use Premiere limited cards).
Ambassador
By rsutton41 (Ryan Sutton)
 - Ambassador
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
I get sick everyday because I specifically remember joking with the store owner during a 2E tournament after All Good Things came out about how he was never going to sell those 2 boxes of AGT. At one point they were 75% off... regrets lol

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
EHCCGPP wrote: I'm within sight of completing a full 1E set other than AGT, but it's unlikely I'll ever have the complete complete set.
Same here. Maybe I'll start buying lottery tickets in order to finish my ST1E set..... :( :( :( :( :( :(

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Talking about regrets.

The store were I was playing in the late 1990s had one mint Black Lotus (Unlimited) for sale. Back then, they wanted 500 DM, which equals about 250 Euro, which is about USD 220.
I said: "Bullocks. You are never going to sell it."

DAMN was I wrong ...

At the time where Star Trek was virtually dead, I bought 5 Motion Pictures boxes for 15 Euro (about USD 12) each.
I sold them for 'only' 100 Euro each, some time later.

Talking about regrets.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  

I guess it's a good thing I picked up lots of First Contact back in the day. I actually used to do public demos for Decipher for that set, so it's one I've got a ton of cards for. I still have a few unopened packs (for use with my Borg deck).

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:

I didn't realize First Contact was that rare (I haven't really looked much for it, being as I have tons of that set).

I think I've got a box of Holodeck Adventures on the way to me, and yesterday I got a package with all of the commons and uncommons (it's a set I didn't buy any of, originally). There sure does seem to be a big range of price for HA; I've seen some in the three figures for a box.

I didn't realize SWCCG was that in demand. I probably have more product of that than any other card game I own. Being a Squadron Member, Flight Leader, and playtester (2 boxes for each "job") meant I was getting (at minimum) six free boxes from Decipher per set. Then I purchased more on my own. I've got a ridiculous amount. I should perhaps check out eBay and think about selling some.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
Armus wrote:

The PC didn't really decide that. Decipher was the one who came up with the concept, when they turned the game over to us back then.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote:SWCCG product is even worse because the PC decided that virtual cards must be in front of specific physical cards, rather than any old thing. (My advice: go to your favourite FLGS and offer to buy up a ton of their unmoveable Magic: the Gathering bulk.

About 5 years ago, I was assorting my entire STCCG collection. Everything I didn't need went on a pile and was sold.

What I also did keep was a box containing about 800 Alternate Universe cards (commons and some uncommons).
Why? Because they are PERFECT for glueing printed virtual cards on them, permanently. Unlike the later editions, they don't have this smooth surface, but rather a somewhat rough one.
Premiere cards however are bad because of the white border (and I don't want to use Premiere limited cards).
[Apologies for the multiple posts, but it doesn't appear that these forums allow multi-quoting (someone correct me if there is a way to do so)]

As one of the first people involved with the creation of 'virtual cards', I can pass along a great tip for gluing them. Rubber cement works phenomenally, and - even when you peel a virtual card off years later - does no damage whatsoever to the card. It even works on the smooth cards. The only thing to be wary of is to wait a few minutes before sleeving the card, as the chemicals in the glue will bubble and warp your sleeve if you do so too quickly.
Last edited by Majestic on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]