This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which lore should appear on the finished card?

Lore Option #1 ("Violent, unstable pianist...")
57%
Lore Option #2 ("The memories of the murderer...")
11%
Lore Option #3 ("Repressed for decades...")
6%
Lore Option #4 ("Graduate of the Tenaran Music Academy...")
11%
Lore Option #5 ("During her zhian'tara...")
15%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to the 17th and final step of the Will of the Collective! In this poll, you'll vote on the lore for the finished card. Once the keywords were locked in, I asked our Creative Team to come up with several options for the lore. Five of those options appear below, and are your choices in this poll.

This poll will be up for just 24 hours - a single day - ending around 9:00 AM Pacific on Saturday, February 10th. Each of you will be able to vote for a single lore option that you want to see on the card, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes. In the event of a tie, or if the top two choices make up less than half the total votes, there will be a run-off vote to decide the winner.

Here are the different lore options:
Lore Option #1 wrote:Violent, unstable pianist embodied in the human Benjamin Sisko during Jadzia Dax’s zhian'tara. By 2286, he had murdered a total of three people.
Lore Option #2 wrote:The memories of the murderer Joran were transferred into the human body of Benjamin Sisko for Jadzia Dax’s zhian'tara in 2371.
Lore Option #3 wrote:Repressed for decades, Joran’s memories surfaced in 2371. During Jadzia Dax’s zhian'tara, the human Benjamin Sisko embodied this murderous soul.
Lore Option #4 wrote:Graduate of the Tenaran Music Academy housed in the human Benjamin Sisko. Murdered three Trill. Attacked Jadzia Dax during her zhian'tara ritual.
Lore Option #5 wrote:During her zhian'tara, Jadzia Dax confronted Joran, a murderer embodied in the human Benjamin Sisko. He claimed Jadzia was an unworthy host.

Have fun, and please feel free to post your thoughts and arguments for or against the different lore options.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Five options and no attempt to get a Will of the Collective Easter Egg in ANY of them?

:thumbsdown:

Nob's suggestion or a variation thereof should have been an option.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Five options and no attempt to get a Will of the Collective Easter Egg in ANY of them?
If I remember the rules right, they were fitting them in order of votes (zhian'tara, murder, pianist, easter egg). And pianist only made it into one of the five.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Armus wrote:Five options and no attempt to get a Will of the Collective Easter Egg in ANY of them?

I would have voted for that... especially if it had the "composer, pianist and murderer" phrasing.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
EHCCGPP wrote:

I would have voted for that... especially if it had the "composer, pianist and murderer" phrasing.
Thank you both. I suspect my suggestion was a bit long, however.

As for voting, I chose #1. It's the only one with "pianist," and not including it on Joran would essentially lock that out of ever becoming a keyword, and I think that would limit Design unfairly.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: As for voting, I chose #1. It's the only one with "pianist," and not including it on Joran would essentially lock that out of ever becoming a keyword, and I think that would limit Design unfairly.
We can't afford to think like that. Otherwise every single card would need to include every conceivable characteristic just on the off chance that one day one might potentially become a thing... For many cards there would be a near infinite number.

Lore in 1e is not and cannot just be a recipe list of key words; it's a place to include story, characterisation, Trek sense... All the important stuff that doesn't have a home elsewhere. Stuff that may not be gameplay relevant, but its often the difference between immersing yourself in an interesting Star Trek scenario or simply playing a variation of one of the many mechanical card games out there.

And as stated previously, there is no need to introduce another characteristic that only a handful of people would legitimately have when the basic Music skill is still so underdeveloped.
 -  
Community Contributor
Zef'No wrote: And as stated previously, there is no need to introduce another characteristic that only a handful of people would legitimately have when the basic Music skill is still so underdeveloped.
Yes, but people voted for it. That argument is finished. (Same as the card title).

So I would be curious to know why (for instance) Jadzia Dax appears in four of the options. (And note that "appears in someone else's lore" *is* a gameplay characteristic).

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Zef'No wrote:We can't afford to think like that. Otherwise every single card would need to include every conceivable characteristic just on the off chance that one day one might potentially become a thing... For many cards there would be a near infinite number.
I don't find this sort of "slippery slope" argument terribly convincing. We aren't talking about adding a near infinite number of potential characteristics; we're talking about including a particular distinguishing feature of the character at hand. I wouldn't vote for #1 solely because it contains the word "pianist," but I do consider it a positive of that particular option.

Mind you, I also believe option #1 has the most natural feel to the text, so it would win my vote even without the possibility of pianist becoming gameplay-relevant.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
Zef'No wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote: As for voting, I chose #1. It's the only one with "pianist," and not including it on Joran would essentially lock that out of ever becoming a keyword, and I think that would limit Design unfairly.
We can't afford to think like that. Otherwise every single card would need to include every conceivable characteristic just on the off chance that one day one might potentially become a thing... For many cards there would be a near infinite number.

Lore in 1e is not and cannot just be a recipe list of key words; it's a place to include story, characterisation, Trek sense... All the important stuff that doesn't have a home elsewhere. Stuff that may not be gameplay relevant, but its often the difference between immersing yourself in an interesting Star Trek scenario or simply playing a variation of one of the many mechanical card games out there.

And as stated previously, there is no need to introduce another characteristic that only a handful of people would legitimately have when the basic Music skill is still so underdeveloped.
Except that "pianist" already exists on a few cards (Amarie, Neela Daren). And, being more specific, it can be developed to have more powerful interactions than Music can. I agree that Music could do to be developed further, but I could easily see a card with a requirement of Music x3 OR a pianist.

Allen: Actually, "Jadzia Dax" is in all five options.
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote: Allen: Actually, "Jadzia Dax" is in all five options.
Ah, you're right. One snuck past me. Which is interesting being that it scored 6th of 9.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: So I would be curious to know why (for instance) Jadzia Dax appears in four of the options. (And note that "appears in someone else's lore" *is* a gameplay characteristic).
Well, given that zhian'tara was the winner of the vote, to use that word in a coherent sentence without mentioning Dax would be a lot harder - one would have to deliberately go out of their way to avoid doing so and the result would probably feel unnatural. Bearing in mind of course that many people wouldn't know what zhian'tara was out of context.

(No need for suggestions, we all know that everything is possible, but that's not why we're here)

Nobody voted for Benjamin Sisko in the lore either...

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Zef'No wrote:Nobody voted for Benjamin Sisko in the lore either...
They did before Charlie accepted that that should be a given and changed the poll.
 -  
Community Contributor
Zef'No wrote: Well, given that zhian'tara was the winner of the vote, to use that word in a coherent sentence without mentioning Dax would be a lot harder - one would have to deliberately go out of their way to avoid doing so and the result would probably feel unnatural. Bearing in mind of course that many people wouldn't know what zhian'tara was out of context.
That seems like something that should have been brought up earlier, though.
MidnightLich wrote:My instructions to the creative team will ask them to guarantee the top two (2) most voted keywords will be in all of the lore options. If there is room and at their discretion, they may include any other keywords in lore in order, from highest number of votes received down.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]