This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By LXEBN
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hi all,

So I'm trying to make sure I've started the game correctly through the first turn. All this stuff is really complicated for a new player. I'm playing a mostly non-aligned deck in the delta quadrant.

I seed two copies of temporal micro wormhole and one defend homeworld. At Assist Cooperative I seed War Council and Nekrit Supply Depot. On Ocampa planet, I seed caretaker's array, ancestral vision, U.S.S. Equinox, and Home Away from Home. Is that legitimate so far?

Next, I download Space-TIme Portal with TMW and then sack TMW for Tuvok. I sack the other seeded TMW for Tom Paris. TMW lets one of them report aboard the Equinox and now I've used up my one personnel report per turn. My understanding is that both Tom and Tuvok will be able to mix with my non-aligned personnel regardless of what War Council says because TMW allows for it. Is that correct?

Next, I sack Defend Homeworld to download either Penk or Lansor. Penk would then allow me to download The Pendari Champion or Hajur. Lansor would allow me to download Marika and P'Chan. War council gives me one free report which I can use on any of those personnel, correct? And Home Away from Home lets Marika report for free because of her [Stf] symbol, right? And all of that can be accomplished in the first turn?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
In Open, yes. In OTF, not all in one turn due to the download limitation. This also means you can't download Lansor with DH AND Marika and P'Chan with his text in the same turn.

Also, downloads are considered executing orders in both formats so you have to play before you download.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LXEBN wrote:Hi all,

So I'm trying to make sure I've started the game correctly through the first turn. All this stuff is really complicated for a new player. I'm playing a mostly non-aligned deck in the delta quadrant.

I seed two copies of temporal micro wormhole and one defend homeworld. At Assist Cooperative I seed War Council and Nekrit Supply Depot. On Ocampa planet, I seed caretaker's array, ancestral vision, U.S.S. Equinox, and Home Away from Home. Is that legitimate so far?
Legit. These are all SEED PHASE cards.
LXEBN wrote:Next, I download Space-TIme Portal with TMW and then sack TMW for Tuvok. I sack the other seeded TMW for Tom Paris. TMW lets one of them report aboard the Equinox and now I've used up my one personnel report per turn. My understanding is that both Tom and Tuvok will be able to mix with my non-aligned personnel regardless of what War Council says because TMW allows for it. Is that correct?
Time out........ okay so a few things. you are in the play phase now. And yes you can certainly use TMW to report Tuvok and Tom Paris, but you have to get them in your hand first. That means drawing into them somehow or pulling them from a Q's Tent. So unless you have a plan to download them don't expect to just have them there on your first 2 turns.

As for the second part, yes, TMW's "regardless of affiliation" overrides affiliation based "does not work with" restrictions. So they may mix with you [NA] . Note that you can only report a personnel via TMW's reporting to ship text once per turn.

LXEBN wrote:Next, I sack Defend Homeworld to download either Penk or Lansor. Penk would then allow me to download The Pendari Champion or Hajur. Lansor would allow me to download Marika and P'Chan. War council gives me one free report which I can use on any of those personnel, correct? And Home Away from Home lets Marika report for free because of her [Stf] symbol, right? And all of that can be accomplished in the first turn?
You may only download personnel once each turn in the OTF format. Refer to the OTF rule #5 here: https://www.trekcc.org/op/otf_rules.pdf

there used to be a referee card called General Quarters that was invented to stop mass downloading and allow design to create much more "flavorful" decks centered around free reporting with card draw engines. Before GQ there was really no point in doing anything but seeding every card that let you download a personnel and be off and running on turn #1.

The card did such a good job opening up the game for more deck designs that CC just banned it and made it a rule instead.

So long story short if you use your one download per turn on Defend Homeworld, you can't download anyone else. But note that you CAN download during your opponent's turn as well........ so feel free to download Penk, end your turn, and download The Pendari Champion during your opponent's turn by using a [DL]

you do NOT wand to use DH to download Lansor because then you CAN'T use a second download to get his buddies. You WANT to report one of the "buddies" using your normal card play or reporting Marika for free with HAFH or or report P'Chan for free with war council and THEN use their skill to download their buddies.

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]