This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Regarding lore, one thing that’s very important to know is whether the proposed text will fit on the card. The creative department has experience in such things, whereas some of the community suggestions, though they might be popular, would definitely not have done so (and some not even close).

In terms of the WotC process in general, I think it generally worked well (though some of the suggestions puzzled/worried me greatly, assuming people weren’t just trolling, which is possible).
The main thing I would say, and I tried to explain this before, is about the very first stage (and by far the most important) one.

I do not agree with the way the main characters were lumped together as a single option. It’s probably no accident that the winning option wasn’t simply “Jadzia Dax” or “Benjamin Sisko”… If those had been options by themselves (instead of the much more specific, albeit inaccurate “Facets Dax”), I doubt we would have ended up with the same card. It’s probably no accident that the initial winning choice was precisely the option which allowed a degree of flexibility within a fairly specific scenario. A similar option might have been something like “A character from Far Beyond the Stars” or “A crew member of the IKS Rotarren”.

Having just one umbrella option for “Miles O’Brien” doesn’t work. There are so many different possibilities there that, although they might technically all be O’Brien, they effectively become separate characters. How many people didn’t vote for O’Brien initially but then though Tobin Dox would be a good idea (for example)? - Or, some people might really want a Klingon version but have absolutely no interest in another Fed one (or vice versa).

If we do this again, I would suggest there be some sort of filtering option prior to the character selection stage. One option would be to stick with the regulars, put them all to a vote first and then people nominate versions from various episodes (and it could be an “any Miles” type thing rather than a persona necessarily).

Alternatively, start by nominating an affiliation first, or perhaps even one of the arcs employed of the show (you could have Dominion War, Bajoran Religion, Mirror Universe and so on).

Advertising the process more, and in advance, would undoubtedly generate greater interest and participation.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Zef'No wrote:Regarding lore, one thing that’s very important to know is whether the proposed text will fit on the card. The creative department has experience in such things, whereas some of the community suggestions, though they might be popular, would definitely not have done so (and some not even close).
Which is why there would be curation on the community submissions, and, if necessary, private consultation with the submitter to determine which parts could be most easily left out.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
I believe Charlie picked a system to try and avoid too much back-and-forth over things like checking lore length etc.

However, if people are interested in joining the Creative team and contributing to future card lores, feel free to drop me a message.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Zef'No wrote:In terms of the WotC process in general, I think it generally worked well (though some of the suggestions puzzled/worried me greatly, assuming people weren’t just trolling, which is possible).
The main thing I would say, and I tried to explain this before, is about the very first stage (and by far the most important) one.

I do not agree with the way the main characters were lumped together as a single option. It’s probably no accident that the winning option wasn’t simply “Jadzia Dax” or “Benjamin Sisko”… If those had been options by themselves (instead of the much more specific, albeit inaccurate “Facets Dax”), I doubt we would have ended up with the same card. It’s probably no accident that the initial winning choice was precisely the option which allowed a degree of flexibility within a fairly specific scenario. A similar option might have been something like “A character from Far Beyond the Stars” or “A crew member of the IKS Rotarren”.

Having just one umbrella option for “Miles O’Brien” doesn’t work. There are so many different possibilities there that, although they might technically all be O’Brien, they effectively become separate characters. How many people didn’t vote for O’Brien initially but then though Tobin Dox would be a good idea (for example)? - Or, some people might really want a Klingon version but have absolutely no interest in another Fed one (or vice versa).

If we do this again, I would suggest there be some sort of filtering option prior to the character selection stage. One option would be to stick with the regulars, put them all to a vote first and then people nominate versions from various episodes (and it could be an “any Miles” type thing rather than a persona necessarily).

Alternatively, start by nominating an affiliation first, or perhaps even one of the arcs employed of the show (you could have Dominion War, Bajoran Religion, Mirror Universe and so on).
Yeah I agree this WotC was made to be story based design rather than game-play based so it's weird that story wasn't supposed to be part of the first poll/selection.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
For my participation drop off - I enjoyed the process, but primarily the early parts deciding the character, etc. When it came to attributes, title, lore, etc I didn't have as much of a preference, so left the details to the 1e people until I can just see the neat finished Joran :)
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I didn't even see some of these steps. When did lore happen?

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.