This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
Third round of our 1E league event today ended in one of the rounds opponent conceding because she went second.

The match up was MACO v MACO and with the current ruling that time locations are not duplicable the opponent who went second does not get to use the free MACO, free relocate, nor downloading the event as card play.

This ruling and language on the time location - Luna Colony needs to be addressed before regional season begins

Cheers!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Is there any rule that says Time Locations must seed in the Facility phase? Because if it's me I'm throwing that thing down as soon as the dilemmas are under missions in the dilemma phase.

How about you move the MACO text on to an Incident and give the Time Location the good old 'any play may download....' treatment. Problem solved, right?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
frakkingoff wrote:Couldn't you just substitute "Any player" for "You" on the text of the card itself?
MACO Training Camp is already pretty cramped for space.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
if you attempted to seed a unique time location but failed to do so you may use copies of it in play as though it was yours

Sorry I didn't realize my last blue text didn't include the time location (when I made the same ruling for facilities)

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:if you attempted to seed a unique time location but failed to do so you may use copies of it in play as though it was yours

Sorry I didn't realize my last blue text didn't include the time location (when I made the same ruling for facilities)
What facility ruling?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:
pfti wrote:if you attempted to seed a unique time location but failed to do so you may use copies of it in play as though it was yours

What facility ruling?
This one.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Never mind, i found it under "unique and universal" in the glossary. That should really be codified in the rulebook or under the time location entry in the glossary since i had no idea you couldn't have more than one of the same time location in play.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Currently, the rule lives under unique and universal, but it was already around when I started studying the rules really hard (so it's from before 2013):
When any card marked “Not duplicatable” in
its game text (or any unique time location)
is in play, another copy may not be seeded
or played by any player, and, if another copy
is encountered, earned, or activated by any
player, that copy is discarded. When a player
seeds any unique mission which has already
been seeded on the spaceline, the second
copy is stacked atop the first to create a
single location. See Deep Space 9, seed
phase.
Originally, Time Locations were treated basically the same way as Missions -- which makes sense, since they're both forming distinct, shared locations. Back in the old days, if your opponent seeded a Mission, and you tried to seed a copy of the same Mission, your copy was discarded, because Missions can't be duplicated. (You then had to download a universal Mission from outside the game to replace it.) Same with Time Locations: your opponent seeds it, then that location exists now, you can't duplicate it, and you have to throw your copy away. (Most time locations are carefully worded to account for this.)

But Missions were changed in the year 2000 to the modern rule of "shared missions": now, if you both seed the same mission, you stick them on top of each other and treat the location as seeded by both players. Time Locations never received the same update, though. They're still treated today the way missions were in 1999: if your opponent seeds it, yours is gone. I can't personally say I understand why that is, but that's still the rule all the same.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: ... Originally, Time Locations were treated basically the same way as Missions -- which makes sense, since they're both forming distinct, shared locations. Back in the old days, if your opponent seeded a Mission, and you tried to seed a copy of the same Mission, your copy was discarded, because Missions can't be duplicated. (You then had to download a universal Mission from outside the game to replace it.) Same with Time Locations: your opponent seeds it, then that location exists now, you can't duplicate it, and you have to throw your copy away. (Most time locations are carefully worded to account for this.)

But Missions were changed in the year 2000 to the modern rule of "shared missions": now, if you both seed the same mission, you stick them on top of each other and treat the location as seeded by both players. Time Locations never received the same update, though. They're still treated today the way missions were in 1999: if your opponent seeds it, yours is gone. I can't personally say I understand why that is, but that's still the rule all the same.
FWIW, that's pretty much the way I remember it during the Decipher era as well ...

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]