This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Obviously, the bigger, the better, but I'd like to hear some feedback on what people here think are minimum dimensions to play an average game of 1E.

Of course, including any and all side decks and quadrants and so on on both players' sides can fill a stadium, but what, in your experience, is the table size that you need in order to play a game of 1E?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Kaiser wrote:Obviously, the bigger, the better, but I'd like to hear some feedback on what people here think are minimum dimensions to play an average game of 1E.

Of course, including any and all side decks and quadrants and so on on both players' sides can fill a stadium, but what, in your experience, is the table size that you need in order to play a game of 1E?
You can do it on a square card table and just fit a single Quadrant space line across the width with plenty of space on both players' sides for stuff to be in play.

Square card tables take up more space though so depending on turnout may or may not be a viable option.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:I think 90x70 is sufficient to play comfortably
I assume you mean cm here. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It comes from teaching physics. I just got done handing out massive point losses on my students' quizzes for not including units.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Related: what tricks do you all use to make table space more manageable?

With lot of my core engine cards that play on a ship or mission (e.g. Study Divergent History, Protect the Timeline, Spacedoor), I announce to my opponent what ship/mission/facility it is played on... and then I put the actual card off to the side in my core, where it's safely out of the way and not making the spaceline even more crowded.

In Alpha vs. Delta games, we generally set up the spacelines like a 2E game: six Alpha on one side directly across from six Delta on the other. Saves a ton of space on the sides. Can be a problem if there's significant inter-quadrant travel, but you can always rearrange mid-game if necessary.

I'm not a big fan of stacking core cards atop each other (since it makes it harder for my opponent to read them), but I'll make an exception for truly irrelevant ones, like Reshape The Quadrant in a deck that's all [1E-DS9] -- I'll download my [RC] card directly atop RtC and never see it again, saving a few square centimeters of table space.

If you're realllly willing to stack, you can play the game effectively even on quite small card tables. It helps if you're in multiple quadrants, since you can put the different quadrants wherever you want on the table.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

I dislike square tables for 1e, since you have to put down quadrants solitaire 2e style. I really despise that. 1e space line(s) should be a straight line on the table as intended. I rather play on the floor than on a square table.

That dictates the table space. Rectangular table with a width of 12-13 cards at least.

8)

By Shepard (Matt Carroll)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Borg King and I play every week on one of our coffee tables, which are both 4’ x 18”. We find that size is fairly comfortable for the spaceline and leaves a little room on each of our sides to have our draw and side decks, played cards, etc. Would we want it a little wider than 18”? Sure. But that size we’ve found is very workable (even for 3 quadrant games).
Ambassador
By rsutton41 (Ryan Sutton)
 - Ambassador
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
Comfortably I think a table being 4ft long and 29 inches wide is what I consider comfortable. (The 29 inches comes from what normal folding tables are in the US) As for what I prefer is 6ft long. -- For Worlds at GenCon 2014 players usually had 3ft of table with less than 29 inches from player to player it was awful!!!

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
rsutton41 wrote:Comfortably I think a table being 4ft long and 29 inches wide is what I consider comfortable. (The 29 inches comes from what normal folding tables are in the US) As for what I prefer is 6ft long. -- For Worlds at GenCon 2014 players usually had 3ft of table with less than 29 inches from player to player it was awful!!!
When you are cramped its really hard to focus or even keep track of what your opponent is doing.

I prefer at least 4ft of space as well.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Thanks for the feedback so far!
jadziadax8 wrote:So, are you purchasing furniture for the Kaiserfest?
I probably won't have to, unless the turnout requires seven games or more to be played at a time. I just noticed that no two tables in my house are the same size - from 42"x21" to 88"x40", and while 2e games fit easily on each of them, for 1e the smaller ones won't be adequate.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
rsutton41 wrote:Comfortably I think a table being 4ft long and 29 inches wide is what I consider comfortable. (The 29 inches comes from what normal folding tables are in the US) As for what I prefer is 6ft long. -- For Worlds at GenCon 2014 players usually had 3ft of table with less than 29 inches from player to player it was awful!!!
Yeah, that was pretty packed. I asked them for extra space, too, but they didn't accommodate us.

-crp
Ambassador
By rsutton41 (Ryan Sutton)
 - Ambassador
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
MidnightLich wrote:
Yeah, that was pretty packed. I asked them for extra space, too, but they didn't accommodate us.

-crp

Charlie gave a pep talk -- it was like "Guys we are packed I am trying to get more tables but we are just going to have to make it work"
Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Keywords are written in lore, not implied Exc[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]