This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By superdave (David Runyon)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I keep seeing references to "Hexany" as an abusive strategy, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
Last edited by superdave on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Boon of Bolian (Rem Boon)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The hexany is a group of noun cards which if used together could turn your draw deck inside out, upside down and then some more. Or in normal phrasing a group of deck manipulation cards.

IIRC the hexany cards are:

All threes
Data keep dealing
Beyond the subatomic
Smooth as an androids bottom
Mutation
and a few i don't recall.

Boon of Bolian
Retired 1E collector and player
Last edited by Boon of Bolian on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks! How does that sort of deck deal with all the discarding required? Don't you burn a lot of stuff?
Last edited by superdave on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
superdave wrote:Thanks! How does that sort of deck deal with all the discarding required? Don't you burn a lot of stuff?
Palor Toff, Data Keep Dealing and enought redundance of personnel in the deck (e.g. using DQSS and stock all Personnel x4)
Last edited by Mr.Sloan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I built a deck using the Hexany (with Handshake and Isomagnetic Disintegrator thrown in) and I have to say it's incredible. Thanks!
Last edited by superdave on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LuthySloan wrote:DQSS
Enter the proverbial 'new guy'. Old 1E guy from '94, looking to get back in... (had to stop around DS9 :( ) Would you please enlighten me on an abbreviation I keep seeing?
DQSS? (DQ=Delta Quadrant?) (SS?)

Thanks!
Last edited by Iron Prime on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
sorry for the appriviation habbit.

Delta Quadrant Spatial Scission

It´s a commen/uncommen card allowing all unique delta quadrant personnel/ships being in play 2 times per player. +
When you put a unique copy of a personnel or ship card outof-
play, you may choose to do one of the
following: play two cards OR draw two cards
OR play one card and draw one card (in any
order).
Last edited by Mr.Sloan on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
DQSS = Delta Quadrant Spatial Scission

card that allows two unique [DQ] personnel to be in play at the same time.

aka marketing ploy to make people buy more (1E) packs of Voyager because now you could have two Janeways, two Harry Kims, etc. in play at the same time. And you could use the THIRD copy of those folks for card draws and/or card plays (now limited to either one draw or one play as it had been overpowered previously)
Last edited by Altoid on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks guys! I have a starter deck and like 3 packs lying around... I think the last deck I built was around BoG - and it only played a few times...
Last edited by Iron Prime on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Altoid wrote:DQSS = Delta Quadrant Spatial Scission

card that allows two unique [DQ] personnel to be in play at the same time.

aka marketing ploy to make people buy more (1E) packs of Voyager because now you could have two Janeways, two Harry Kims, etc. in play at the same time. And you could use the THIRD copy of those folks for card draws and/or card plays (now limited to either one draw or one play as it had been overpowered previously)
It's *real* title was Decipher's Quirky Sales Scam
Last edited by MilesStuntDouble on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  

I think Hexany is arguably the worst thing to happen to 1E.

You can make the argument that Hexany is what killed 1E and got the game canceled.

Up until the Hexany was fully formed by Holodeck Adventures (via Data Keep Dealing and All Threes), all previous expansions had been pretty balanced (Voyager and the Borg had a few problems) and added depth to the game without causing drastic escalation.

For example, a Mirror deck was competitive, but you didn't have to buy Mirror, Mirror cards to keep playing the game. MM expanded the game with two new factions and new mechanics (Mirror Universe, Construct Starship, Multidimensional Transport). RoA offered some nice new tech, but you didn't have to have RoA cards to play. RoA simply added a depth to the game via a new affiliation and a few major new mechanics like Cargo Runs.

Hexany and HA changed that. Suddenly almost all of the high level competitive cards came from HA. Hexany, Bajorian Resistance Cell, Dominion War Efforts, Sherlock Holms, Vic and so on. Hexany was easily the most powerful deck engine ever, but not everybody understood how to play it.

When The Motion Pictures released, it had no real power cards like HA. Sure, TMP had Smooth, "God", Whale Probe and a few others, but it simply couldn't touch the drastically escalated cards in HA. Hexany players simply bought some uncommon Smooths and a dilemma or two off of ebay and skipped buying the set. In fact, because TMP was so weak in comparison to HA and Hexany, almost nobody bought it. The sales numbers were dismal and 1E was discontinued.

Eventually Decipher wound up giving away TMP backs via Del Taco promotions and other deals.

In reality, TMP wasn't a bad set. It added depth to the game with new playable factions (TMP Klingons, TMP Feds, Khan, Sybok, Sona) and new mechanics. It was close in form to MM or TWT or DS9.

However, TMP was a balanced set, unlike the hideous escalated power of Hexany. Once you create that level of escalation, you can never go back.

TMP was doomed by Hexany, and thus all of 1E was doomed by Hexany.
Last edited by Commandeur on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
So what do I do? I go out and build a hexany deck....
Last edited by superdave on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Galathon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Commandeur wrote:
I think Hexany is arguably the worst thing to happen to 1E.

You can make the argument that Hexany is what killed 1E and got the game canceled.

Up until the Hexany was fully formed by Holodeck Adventures (via Data Keep Dealing and All Threes), all previous expansions had been pretty balanced (Voyager and the Borg had a few problems) and added depth to the game without causing drastic escalation.

For example, a Mirror deck was competitive, but you didn't have to buy Mirror, Mirror cards to keep playing the game. MM expanded the game with two new factions and new mechanics (Mirror Universe, Construct Starship, Multidimensional Transport). RoA offered some nice new tech, but you didn't have to have RoA cards to play. RoA simply added a depth to the game via a new affiliation and a few major new mechanics like Cargo Runs.

Hexany and HA changed that. Suddenly almost all of the high level competitive cards came from HA. Hexany, Bajorian Resistance Cell, Dominion War Efforts, Sherlock Holms, Vic and so on. Hexany was easily the most powerful deck engine ever, but not everybody understood how to play it.

When The Motion Pictures released, it had no real power cards like HA. Sure, TMP had Smooth, "God", Whale Probe and a few others, but it simply couldn't touch the drastically escalated cards in HA. Hexany players simply bought some uncommon Smooths and a dilemma or two off of ebay and skipped buying the set. In fact, because TMP was so weak in comparison to HA and Hexany, almost nobody bought it. The sales numbers were dismal and 1E was discontinued.

Eventually Decipher wound up giving away TMP backs via Del Taco promotions and other deals.

In reality, TMP wasn't a bad set. It added depth to the game with new playable factions (TMP Klingons, TMP Feds, Khan, Sybok, Sona) and new mechanics. It was close in form to MM or TWT or DS9.

However, TMP was a balanced set, unlike the hideous escalated power of Hexany. Once you create that level of escalation, you can never go back.

TMP was doomed by Hexany, and thus all of 1E was doomed by Hexany.
As 1st edition director, are you going to fix this. Make 1st again really cool to play??

Koen
Last edited by Galathon on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good mornin' lads, just got me thinking: What w[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]