A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 280 posts

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
HoodieDM wrote:There's no rotation finalized yet. We might finally get that information in Q1 of 2018.

They just announced an official (and better) way to do Draft/Sealed events with the Rival expansion boxes. You only need to buy it once and then going forward just the # of packs required by the LGS running the event (suggested 6-8 packs depending on format).

Great to see some additional fun stuff/formats.

The game is getting pretty quick to come out with stuff, so as long as they continue to support it, it should be fine.

Still waiting on some errata though that will determine how much "competitive" gameplay I continue with. If they change a few cards, then it should open the meta a bit more. Right now it's basically 1 deck winning everything and 2 other decks doing decent.

The only thing I dislike about FFG is their lack of OPG. The game itself is fantastic. Just need to set some "local boundaries" on stuff to make sure no NPE occur for folks.

~D
I wonder which three decks you have in mind? Thrawnkar and the other two? Kylo FN?
As for the Rivals, I have seen them and I really like the version of Anakin. Looking forward to using these cheaper versions of main characters that could be used as elite with some other elite good characters like Kylo, even though monocolored decks are a bit risky these days.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
vlasopes wrote: I wonder which three decks you have in mind? Thrawnkar and the other two? Kylo FN?
As for the Rivals, I have seen them and I really like the version of Anakin. Looking forward to using these cheaper versions of main characters that could be used as elite with some other elite good characters like Kylo, even though monocolored decks are a bit risky these days.
New Kylo, New Phasma, & FN need to be toned down.

New Kylo should really be a 15/19 cost, New Phasma should be 11/14, & FN needs his ability changed to the new Power Action.

Thrawnkar is pretty good, but not near as deadly as those 3 characters. Though Id be okay with Unkar and Rey getting changed to Power Actions as well.

~D

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The errata are here and a bit harsh for my taste. I don't have a problem with most of the cards but Vibroknife? I had pretty hard time killing eQui Gon eRey/eKanan with all those pesky shields even with eKylo/eFN.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
vlasopes wrote:The errata are here and a bit harsh for my taste. I don't have a problem with most of the cards but Vibroknife? I had pretty hard time killing eQui Gon eRey/eKanan with all those pesky shields even with eKylo/eFN.
Vibroknife needed the tone down. It made absolute no sense that a die showing a blank, could make Vader or Luke melee dice unblockable. It's still a very strong die. It's just not OP and renders a die side completely useless now.

The one I don't like was It's A Trap!, I get limiting the # of dice changing to a lower quantity, but getting rid of the Ambush? Makes no sense. So now it's basically a 1 resource event that is 2 Focus for red dice only, but they can still be changed. At least Force Strike lets me change the die and resolve it same action if I wanted to.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the changes to those characters. I think new Kylo should still be a bit more higher costed, considering he has 3 sides of damage and an ability that does damage. He still pairs nicely with emoVader or GG and then he's still going to pair nicely with new Anakin at elite (which seems foolish).

~D
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Well it sucks that I just spend hundreds of cash money dollar on singles that got nerfed, but probably better for the local scene that I don't get to show up with my ekylo/fn netdeck. A bit pay to win.

I also got the singles for the kannan /jedi instructor build on the hyperloops gauntlet, I suppose that will get better?

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My good (local) friend is DHaus on the Jedi Trials podcast, you should listen to it if you don't already. I'm probably going to be on it pretty soon as a guest host. *wink wink*

Anyways, Kanan is underrated IMO. His ability to resolve his char die w/o costing an action is huge. You just have to roll it haha. Anyways, I think he's good paired with other 14-17 cost elites so you can get elite Kanan. Though I'm sure a single Kanan with Sabine/Luke is probably good as well. I hear eAhsoka + QGJ is pretty good. Shields for days and doing "1000 paper cuts" damage. And now that Vibro isn't as OP, I expect shields to make a strong come back.

I still think Kylo (2player) is OP and will still continue to dominate. He'll be just as dumb when new Anakin (Rivals) comes out. In the mean time, I expect Darth Vader (SoR) + eKylo (2P) will be the new meta for a bit. Perhaps eKylo (2P) + GG to mix in some red options rather than straight up blue only. But this definitely allows Heroes to creep in some.

~D

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:My good (local) friend is DHaus on the Jedi Trials podcast, you should listen to it if you don't already. I'm probably going to be on it pretty soon as a guest host. *wink wink*

Anyways, Kanan is underrated IMO. His ability to resolve his char die w/o costing an action is huge. You just have to roll it haha. Anyways, I think he's good paired with other 14-17 cost elites so you can get elite Kanan. Though I'm sure a single Kanan with Sabine/Luke is probably good as well. I hear eAhsoka + QGJ is pretty good. Shields for days and doing "1000 paper cuts" damage. And now that Vibro isn't as OP, I expect shields to make a strong come back.

I still think Kylo (2player) is OP and will still continue to dominate. He'll be just as dumb when new Anakin (Rivals) comes out. In the mean time, I expect Darth Vader (SoR) + eKylo (2P) will be the new meta for a bit. Perhaps eKylo (2P) + GG to mix in some red options rather than straight up blue only. But this definitely allows Heroes to creep in some.

~D
I tend to agree when it comes to the shields. My next battlefield location seems to be Ewok village. Nevertheless, I did run GG + eKylo and won a tournament or two with them and it was not bad, much better than with new Phasma, yet it was not great. Most of the games I won by one action or lost by one action. FN on the other hand was pretty broken with his ability and I lost very rarely with this deck. The only loses were to the mirror decks and both games I lost by one action. FNs ability seems to be good even though he has been brought down, not to mention that he is still worth his cost in the right deck. I think for the time being (until Anakin is out) FN + eKylo is still a better and more viable option than GG + eKylo.
As for the EMO Vader and eKylo...the huge problem with baby Vader is the lack of resource. And that is something that makes him in my eyes very unplayable.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:Well it sucks that I just spend hundreds of cash money dollar on singles that got nerfed, but probably better for the local scene that I don't get to show up with my ekylo/fn netdeck. A bit pay to win.

I also got the singles for the kannan /jedi instructor build on the hyperloops gauntlet, I suppose that will get better?
I know exactly how you feel :?

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Starter cards from the upcoming set have been spoiled. I like some of them. What are your opinion guys?

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
When do the new errata go into effect? The way I read it everything including errata go into effect on 11/6 therefore the pre-errata cards are still legal to play as they were printed until monday.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
vlasopes wrote:When do the new errata go into effect? The way I read it everything including errata go into effect on 11/6 therefore the pre-errata cards are still legal to play as they were printed until monday.
Yes, however we locally played the rules in effect this past Saturday. Had 16 folks show up for Q4 tourney kit. Good showing. Not a single repeat combo out of 16 folks!

#1 ePalp
#2 e7th Sis/MagnaGuard/Gamorean
#3 eSabine/Ackbar (me)
#4 eInquisitor/7th Sis
#5 eJabba/eUnkar
#6 Ceina/Guavian/FOST/FOST
#7 eMace/Padawan
#8 eSabine/Kanan
#9 eJango/ePhasma(2P)
#10 eQGJ/eKanan
#11 eHan/eRey
#12 eSabine/eEzra
#13 eInquisitor/Gamorean
#14 (don't remem)
#15 eKylo(2P)/Phasma(2P)
#16 (don't remem)

~D

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:
#1 ePalp
#2 e7th Sis/MagnaGuard/Gamorean
#3 eSabine/Ackbar (me)
#4 eInquisitor/7th Sis
#5 eJabba/eUnkar
#6 Ceina/Guavian/FOST/FOST
#7 eMace/Padawan
#8 eSabine/Kanan
#9 eJango/ePhasma(2P)
#10 eQGJ/eKanan
#11 eHan/eRey
#12 eSabine/eEzra
#13 eInquisitor/Gamorean
#14 (don't remem)
#15 eKylo(2P)/Phasma(2P)
#16 (don't remem)

~D
Yesterday to my surpise the very same house ruled were applied. How does it work in SWD? Is the TD and the shop owner allowed to apply these new rulings and errata before they officially are legal? I am asking that Q because on saturday we are having a big tournament and these so-called house rules are to be applied again, even though they should not yet. What I can do about it?
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
vlasopes wrote:
Yesterday to my surpise the very same house ruled were applied. How does it work in SWD? Is the TD and the shop owner allowed to apply these new rulings and errata before they officially are legal? I am asking that Q because on saturday we are having a big tournament and these so-called house rules are to be applied again, even though they should not yet. What I can do about it?
I get the sense that FFG doesn't really have strong feelings about how OP works below nationals/regionals level. I've played a few big games (VS System, Hearthstone, now SWD) where there are almost no rules for local tournaments. And apart from Hearthstone the store owner is all-powerful. While I respect the need for FLGS to be at the forefront of marketing, I don't think store owners are the right people to run tournaments ... they care way less (and usually know way less) about each particular game than the passionate player-organisers do.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
vlasopes wrote: Yesterday to my surpise the very same house ruled were applied. How does it work in SWD? Is the TD and the shop owner allowed to apply these new rulings and errata before they officially are legal? I am asking that Q because on saturday we are having a big tournament and these so-called house rules are to be applied again, even though they should not yet. What I can do about it?
The tournament was Saturday. By Thursday evening we had decided as a collective group to apply new rules (so at least 24 hr notice). We communicated that on FB and messenger. We also said that if someone not in the group, did bring in a deck that was eligible but wouldnt be soon, they could still play with it.

In the end, we want to encourage fair gameplay, diversity, and fun. The new rules allow that. While I get some might not have liked the changes, in the end it definitely helped. Games meta will be interesting to see now.

As for your situation, I feel if the TD/shop posted/gave enough notice (minimal 24 hours) notice, I dont see the issue. Have those decks been a NPE for locals? Is the TD just trying to promote "Hey, come play! You wont see only 2 decks this week!" If it is, then I dont see the problem. If the owner/TD just want to do it bc they suck and want to spite the good players, then yeah I can see some issues. But the good players will easily be able to adjust to the new rules.

For local games, its always up to TD that can implement "house" rules, as long as their fair and on equal terms for all attendees. A lot of local shops here just flat out banned FN, new Kylo, and new Phasma after a month of no updated FAQ. Now they can let them back in.

~D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote: I get the sense that FFG doesn't really have strong feelings about how OP works below nationals/regionals level. I've played a few big games (VS System, Hearthstone, now SWD) where there are almost no rules for local tournaments. And apart from Hearthstone the store owner is all-powerful. While I respect the need for FLGS to be at the forefront of marketing, I don't think store owners are the right people to run tournaments ... they care way less (and usually know way less) about each particular game than the passionate player-organisers do.
It cuts both ways - I got out of Attack Wing because the combination of very lax tournament rules and exclusive prizes meant that you could show up for an event and then find out that the die-hards have changed the rules to benefit themselves so they can score (and sell) another exclusive.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.