A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 113 posts

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
http://tvline.com/2017/08/08/the-orvill ... fi-comedy/

I think this is going to be just what I have been looking for... Something Trek-like without having to deal with the history of Trek. An added bonus is that it will be light and fun instead of being dark and serious as so many tv shows are these days. I am really looking forward to this show now.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Dukat wrote:The really fun thing is: if I didn't miscount, the trailer already showed three people who played (minor) roles on Star Trek.
Don't forget that Patrick Stewart has a recurring role on one of his series, not to mention a cameo in a feature film. He also got Christopher Lloyd to cameo in another film as Doc Brown. There was a funny bit in his flagship show where the TNG crew has come aboard, more than once, actually. He's openly spoofed the other big sci-fi franchise. Heck, The original Series crew lent their voices, along with Frakes, to a series by Groening. It's clear that enough time has passed that the actors can look back a little light heatedly at their roles.

Just remember that it is harder to get actors for a live actions eries than an animated one. In that case, they don't have to worry about logistics. In animation, they can pretty much be anywhere for recording. Heck, in The Animated Series, they pretty much went to their local NBC affiliate.

Great, now I'm going to spend all day thinking of Stewart in the Garber role.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Maybe Seth will run into his evil twin 'Stewart Rivers'...
 -  
So reviews are in. And not good. This might not be too much of a bad thing as mainstream reviewers are not in the target audience.

It is a bad sign when fans of the genre are not liking it. So far, it's pretty much TNG with jokes sprinkled in. Which may not be so bad; I don't want a joke of a captain bombarding me every second.

We'll see on Sunday.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
This is where I'm glad I don't have cable - I'm not realistically going to watch either this or the new Trek until enough eps come out that we know if it's a stinker or not. ;)

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Bah, I'll decide for myself. I didn't go to the cinema to see a 1,000,000 Ways To Die in the West due to the terrible reviews, but when I eventually got round to seeing it I loved it.

The Orville still looks better than Discovery though...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
nickyank wrote:Bah, I'll decide for myself. I didn't go to the cinema to see a 1,000,000 Ways To Die in the West due to the terrible reviews, but when I eventually got round to seeing it I loved it.
Well, for me I either pay iTunes for it "live", or wait for it to hit Netflix (or I suppose Amazon Prime now that I have that. I always forget to check...) I'm fine letting folks with more time/money watch the terrible stuff first. :D

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I Can't wait to see The Orville. It'll kind of be like seeing a TV version of Star Trek New Frontier, just without the Brikar or Hermat.

BDubs
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I got passes to an advance screening of The Orville, Ghosted, and The Gifted next Thursday. I'll let you guys know. 8)

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:I got passes to an advance screening of The Orville, Ghosted, and The Gifted next Thursday. I'll let you guys know. 8)
It... it premiers Sunday, September 10th, no?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
sevencrdspud wrote:
JeBuS wrote:I got passes to an advance screening of The Orville, Ghosted, and The Gifted next Thursday. I'll let you guys know. 8)
It... it premiers Sunday, September 10th, no?
Yeah, I believe they're running 3 episodes. At least, that's what it sounded like.
 -  
AllenGould wrote:This is where I'm glad I don't have cable - I'm not realistically going to watch either this or the new Trek until enough eps come out that we know if it's a stinker or not. ;)
I'll give Chris a recommendation to give to you.

Yeah, I know how things work around here!
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]