A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 113 posts

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just saw the third episode...

Even the little things, like being interrupted on the holodeck and going to his office still in costume and having to tractor beam a random asteroid to save a planet, were all completely TNG. (And the ending was exactly like a couple TNG episodes.)

I'm super psyched that there are suddenly 2 Star Trek shows.

By lotjx2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
This show continues to impress. Even my wife who was like really this shit even liked it. Nice cameo and we get her next week! Jesus, already feels more like Trek than Discovery.

By Redgar
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:This is where I'm glad I don't have cable - I'm not realistically going to watch either this or the new Trek until enough eps come out that we know if it's a stinker or not. ;)
Ya know, City TV has the episodes free online... :)

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Total Sci-fi trope call out : "Captain, Respectfully submit that the Attractiveness of the ship's occupant makes the rescue Imperative." :D

BDubs

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Great show, absolutely enjoyable. Nice guest stars too, Liam Neeson and especially Charlize Theron, wow hotness!

I am just tired of Star Trek's prequels, rewrites, Abrams AU and canon breaches...

Orville is just very refreshing and something 'new' in comparison to the current Trek lineup.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Man, last night's episode was really good!
Loved the look of that Union ship... I assume it's a heavy cruiser or possibly a battleship. I enjoyed the fresh take on the "infiltration mission", especially the fact that the Planetary Union knows basically jack shit about Kril society and culture. While the episode had been relatively lighthearted in the beginning, the scene in the chapel with the severed head basically caused the tone of the ep to take a complete 180. I really liked how the complications kept on piling up, especially when the kids were revealed!

Also, despite technically winning, and even going above and beyond their original assignment by not only capturing a Kril shuttle, but obtaining the Ankara, a living Kril prisoner,
and even an intact Kril battleship there were plenty of problems that were generated by their actions, most notably Gordon inadvertently and incompetently revealing the location of Earth to the Kril kid
and the ending left a lot of room for future story hooks.

Overall, it was yet another awesome episode!
Last edited by Legate_Damar on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Legate_Damar wrote:Man, last night's episode was really good! Loved the look of that Union ship... I assume it's a heavy cruiser or possibly a battleship. I enjoyed the fresh take on the "infiltration mission", especially the fact that the Planetary Union knows basically jack shit about Kril society and culture. While the episode had been relatively lighthearted in the beginning, the scene in the chapel with the severed head basically caused the tone of the ep to take a complete 180. I really liked how the complications kept on piling up, especially when the kids were revealed!

Also, despite technically winning, and even going above and beyond their original assignment
by not only capturing a Kril shuttle, but obtaining the Ankara, a living Kril prisoner,
and even an intact Kril battleship
there were plenty of problems that were generated by their actions,
most notably Gordon inadvertently and incompetently revealing the location of Earth to the Kril kid
and the ending left a lot of room for future story hooks.

Overall, it was yet another awesome episode!
Spoiler-Alert!
I haven't seen it yet ...

Please post any kind of spoilers in hidden-elements.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
^That deck is amazing, Slaby.

Me, several weeks ago:
BCSWowbagger wrote:A friend of mine, who shared my opinion about the first couple episodes of The Orville ("garbage fire"), had this to say after watching "About A Girl": "I feel like I just found a $20 bill in my cat's litter box." That pretty much sums it up for me. Extraordinary hour in the finest tradition of the Roddenberry universe, from a series that was ranked "worse than most fan films" for me as of its premiere two weeks ago. Let's hope they can keep it up.
UPDATE: They have kept it up. Four episodes in a row that ranged from "middlin' Season 1 Enterprise" to "okay Season 2 Voyager." The Orville hasn't hit the heights of Trek yet, but it's doing the best impression of it I've seen on TV since Battlestar Galactica came out and made all space sci-fi dark and gritty. I'm really enjoying myself.

We've come a long way from that pilot!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Back tonight! Get hype!

Looks like it might be a LaMarr-centric episode. Which is good, because he's the character we know the least about, so I think he needs more time in the spotlight.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I appreciate the hidden messages/agendas in the episodes like old TOS/TNG/DS9 did about current society's issues. That even in the future, things aren't picture perfect and opinions/viewpoints/beliefs all that still effect societies and that the "good guys" aren't always the "right guys".

I also do love that they have a "gay couple" in the show, w/o being so "Hey, here's our gay couple!" making it about the culture/society and that its acceptable. Unlike Modern Family or some of the pay for channels: like the CEOs/Executives/Chairmen put "hey, here's a checkmark, we met a quota for the year".

It's serious, yet not serious at the same time. I hope Seth keeps this up and we get better story/plot development.

~D

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]