It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 104 posts
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
See below.
The Minnesota 'Trek Players Board wrote:Hey All-

In light of the fact that many of us will not be attending Worlds in Germany this coming October, I would like to formally propose an alternative: Premiere Series – Minnesota. What is this you ask? As Matt Frid quite simply put, Premiere Series – Minnesota “will be the toughest tournament to win this year.” Why is that? Because it will be held here, of course! :P All kidding aside, what I’m looking to do with this post is gauge interest in a 2-day event (location TBD, though likely either at OP2K or at The Jungle) that will be run in parallel to Worlds weekend in Germany on October 2nd and 3rd. So without further adieu, here in essence is the framework of what I’d like to do:

Saturday - Premier Series Day 1: A 4 to 6 round (depending on turnout) standard Swiss constructed deck event in which the top 8 places will advance to Day 2, which will be played on Sunday. Following the day of ’trek playing, all attendees will be invited over to my home for drinks, a BBQ, an assortment of lawn games (whiffle ball, Frisbee, etc.), and general socializing with our fellow Twin Cities and out state players.

Sunday - Premier Series Day2: A 4 round standard Swiss constructed deck event for the top 8 players from Saturday, followed by a final confrontation (once both of Sunday’s tournaments have been completed) between the top 2 players to crown the first ever Premiere Series Champion.

Sunday - Premier Series Side Event: In concert with the Sunday top 8 tournament, I will also be running a 4 round standard Swiss constructed deck event for the remaining players in which prizes will exceed a retail value of $200. No joke! I already have several of these items on hand, from the janky to the awesome, so nobody who plays in this event will be missing out on anything. Heck, we might even have a few folks from the top 8 bow out just so they can play in this gig instead!

Now, I know what you’re thinking: “if I had the time and money to play a weekend of ‘trek, I’d go to Germany,” right? Well, don’t fret. As this will effectively be my early Christmas gift to our great player base, I’d be happy to open up my home to those of you (in state or out state) who don’t want to travel back and forth or who simply can’t afford a hotel room. Basically, this event will be everything you’d want in a “World Championships” without all the costs, and all you have to do is get here; I’ll take care of the rest. So, what say the assembled masses, both at home and beyond? Are you ready for Premiere Series – Minnesota?

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Kris,

Hell, yes, sign me up. I've just gotten done scheduling our Fargo events for the entire next year, and that weekend falls on no conflicts. I'll start drumming up interest from all of Team Fargo and we will do our darnedest to show up like gangbusters!

Tentative Fargo roll call:

Matthew Hayes (karonofborg13)
Chris Volk (volkerii)
Mike Rudolph (Griffeyfanatic)
Ian Parmenter (Peers)
Jody Lamb (joedlaw)
Jerad Berhow (Jerad)
Jason Jaeger (sajonmore)
Allison Berhow (Allison)
Jessica Parmenter (if you schedule a draft side event :cross: )
MatthewScott Dale
Dave Dale
John Western (jamesborg007of9)

Keep us informed of the details as they develop / are fleshed out and we'll keep you informed of our attendance numbers.

Awesome, man. Let's do this.

Heck, I'll even see if that new Assistant Designer from up north of us can join the party (along with his two players, Kyle, and Owen, perhaps?)...

We should also get the word out directly to our other nearby players that aren't going to Worlds and see if we can't entice them to join us and rival Germany's turnout...I know Amber and Michael will be over there, but, we should prod Ev, Mike, Carlos, and Ben to make the trip from CR; Al, Maggie, Eric, etc. from IL, Jared, Joel, Charlie (who's said he won't be over in Germany), etc from Ohio, any of the Wisconsin, Michigan, and any other players who'd be willing to join us for this?

I would guess Tentative roll call from your central/vicinity player base would be thus:

yourself
Matthew Frid
Mike Harrington
Asita Goonewardena
Jeremy Benedict
Zach Magnusson
Val Magnusson
Dave Kuck
Jessica Kuck
Kevin Peterson
Ben Johnson
Steve Nelson
Barry Windschitl
John Rigg
Caleb Grace
Josh Grace
Kevin Jaeger
Aaron Arnold
Nate Lindgren
Preston Holida
Scott Moy
Loren Burr
{and I'm sure there are a few others I'm likely forgetting?}

I'm psyched.

By Ajnaran
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
karonofborg13 wrote: ...Hayes is down...
I'm down with it too! A bit bummed about not getting across the pond, but you guys seem to have a lot of positive energy to use here, so I'd be happy to attend/help as well...
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Naetor wrote:Sounds like a good reason to go up and visit my parents (they live in Mason City, IA).
Like I said, Nate, you're always welcome.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Hayes wrote:Keep us informed of the details as they develop / are fleshed out and we'll keep you informed of our attendance numbers... Awesome, man...let's do this... I'm psyched.
It's happening, rest assured. The venue is confirmed for OP2K for both days, which as you all know is about a mile (5 min max) from my house. With the Mega Powers at the helm and the attendance numbers you mentioned, we're going to blow the roof off that joint!

By shagg08 (Michael O'Shogay)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:
Hayes wrote:Keep us informed of the details as they develop / are fleshed out and we'll keep you informed of our attendance numbers... Awesome, man...let's do this... I'm psyched.
It's happening, rest assured. The venue is confirmed for OP2K for both days, which as you all know is about a mile (5 min max) from my house. With the Mega Powers at the helm and the attendance numbers you mentioned, we're going to blow the roof off that joint!
Who is the Macho Man and who is the Hulk?
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Big Borg wrote:Why don't you skip Worlds and let's fly-in to play at Premiere Series – Minnesota...
We all know Jr. doesn't have the stones to pull a stunt like that, but if by some stroke of moxie he did he wouldn't be treated any differently. At its core, this event is an alternative to Worlds for the players up here who aren't going for one reason or another. If there are some who would choose to head up here over heading across the pond, I'm sure they would be welcomed with open arms by our entire player base.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
The Ultimate Opportunist wrote:Who is the Macho Man and who is the Hulk?
Matt "The Original Champion" Frid is the creative front man of T2E Entertainment, I'm just the on camera "Chairman." So, I'm pretty sure who's who is totally his call. :wink:
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Fleet Admiral
Update: The venue has been confirmed and the tournaments have been posted. OP2K will host us all for both days, and as such there will be a $5 entry fee (basically to rent the space.) I figured this was acceptable, as their location is close enough to my home that we can caravan over from there both mornings if necessary.

The ball is in the CC's court regarding event sponsorship at present (i.e. prizes over and above what I'll be providing as well as determining the K-value of the 2-day tournament), but at the very least the option to pre-register is now available.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kris, what city do you live (and OP2K) in? Also, are any Iowa people going to make it up? Talking to you Mike.

I need to be back in Iowa the following weekend for a wedding anyways, so it looks like this weekend might be a good time to fly up there. Especially, if the CR crew is willing to drop me off in Mason Chitty. Can you handle a deep South representative?
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
Naetor wrote:Kris, what city do you live (and OP2K) in? Also, are any Iowa people going to make it up? Talking to you Mike.

I need to be back in Iowa the following weekend for a wedding anyways, so it looks like this weekend might be a good time to fly up there. Especially, if the CR crew is willing to drop me off in Mason Chitty. Can you handle a deep South representative?
Don't know about any others from Iowa but Amber and I will be in Germany this particular weekend.

Michael
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Interested but as you know life is a bit nuts with[…]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]