The National Championship Events offer year-round opportunities for high level competition outside of the traditional "Road to Worlds." Find out more about a National Event near you!

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Scott "Darik" Baughman will be running tournaments at Dragoncon in Altanta, GA between Friday September 3rd and Monday September 6th.

Friday, September 3rd
6pm to 10pm. 4-round standard format tournament [pre-register]

Sunday, September 5th
9am to 3pm. 6-round 2010 US Nationals (East) [pre-register]
7pm to 11pm. 4-round Race to the Alpha Quadrant [pre-register]

Monday, September 6th
10am to 4pm. 6-round Infinite Diversity Draft [pre-register]

There is a $5 entry fee for each tournament, and all tournaments feature prizes.

Reminder to players: Peak Performance will NOT be legal for these tournaments. It does not become tournament legal until Friday, September 10th.

Discussion of the events takes place in this thread.
Last edited by RedDwarf on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
RedDwarf wrote:Scott "Darik" Baughman will be running tournaments at Dragoncon in Altanta, GA between Friday September 3rd and Monday September 6th.

Friday, September 3rd
6pm to 10pm. 4-round standard format tournament [pre-register]

Sunday, September 5th
9am to 3pm. 6-round 2010 US Nationals (East) [pre-register]
7pm to 11pm. 4-round Race to the Alpha Quadrant [pre-register]

Sunday, September 5th
10am to 4pm. 6-round Infinite Diversity Draft [pre-register]

There is a $5 entry fee for each tournament, and all tournaments feature prizes.

Discussion of the events takes place in this thread.
Why do you have Sunday written down twice? I'm just trying to make sure the Nationals is on the correct day, since Sunday seems like a strange day for the event.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Why do you have Sunday written down twice? I'm just trying to make sure the Nationals is on the correct day, since Sunday seems like a strange day for the event.
The first Sunday is correct (when the event is). The second Sunday should be Monday (because it's the Labour Day long weekend, so the Con continues through Monday).
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Am I the only one wondering what happened in these tournaments? The results aren't entered into the system yet, and nobody is discussing it. Ummmm.... what's the story?
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
LORE wrote:Am I the only one wondering what happened in these tournaments?
No. Maybe they're all still cosplaying?

I'm hoping the tournament happened.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
jjh wrote:

Word through the grapevine is that Neil won with a Borg assimilation deck (no relation to the one that just appeared in the article... at least none intentionally). No details yet on how many players were there, or what else was played.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
There were 12 players. As said, Neil was the victor playing Borg assimilation. Below are the results from my memory and from who I played.

1. Neil Timmons (5-0) - Borg assimilation/TT
2. Charlie Beam (4-1) - I think Charlie was playing Borg assimilation/TT as well
3. Nate Wineinger (4-1) - FSE dilemma lockout
4-5. I think Greg Hodgin and Phil Schrader were here at 3-2. Greg played Cardassian. Not sure what Phil played.
6. Nathan Miracle (3-2?) - Equinox
7+ Not sure about placement

Kyle Matusevic played TOS, Rick Kinney played DS9/NA, Will Hawkins played Cardassia/Bajor capture.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Prophet
Maelwys wrote:... No relation to the one that just appeared in the article... at least none intentionally...
Ummm... yeah... considering Neil and I were collectively bouncing Borg assimilation ideas around over a month ago, I'm going to presume we both could have influenced the other in some way.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Prophet
The Naetor wrote:There were 12 players...
12 players for Nationals - East? That's kind of sad. Granted, it's better than the 9 that the event drew in Philly, but it's still kind of sad. Especially since it drew 16 when it was in Ohio instead of on the East Coast.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:
Maelwys wrote:... No relation to the one that just appeared in the article... at least none intentionally...
Ummm... yeah... considering Neil and I were collectively bouncing Borg assimilation ideas around over a month ago, I'm going to presume we both could have influenced the other in some way.
They weren't very much alike -- other than having Annexation Drones, One With the Borg, etc.; but that certainly isn't unique.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: 12 players for Nationals - East? That's kind of sad. Granted, it's better than the 9 that the event drew in Philly, but it's still kind of sad. Especially since it drew 16 when it was in Ohio instead of on the East Coast.
Unfortunately, PAX Prime is the same weekend as DragonCon, otherwise I would have loved to have gone.

By Big Borg
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:
jjh wrote:

Word through the grapevine is that Neil won with a Borg assimilation deck (no relation to the one that just appeared in the article... at least none intentionally). No details yet on how many players were there, or what else was played.
Give props to Lore and HossDrone. Can't be a coincidence. Why do people not want to give credit to others when players use their ideas for winning decks? It is a compliment to recognize their efforts. No shame in using other 's ideas.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
We had a wonderful time at DragonCon and I want to thank all the players for coming down and joining in. If you weren't there, you missed some awesome games. I was able to play in the event Friday evening (and did fair to middlin with my Sabotaged Transporters/Future TNG deck. But I merely judged on Sunday.

Sadly, no one came for the draft on Monday morning. Perhaps in the future we won't schedule any events on Monday morning and go back to scheduling something on Saturday. There's just so much to do at DragonCon on Saturday that this year I wanted to try the experiment of having that day open.

I felt that 12 players for the Nationals championship for a "dead" game was a GREAT turnout at such an event as DragonCon. People passed on going to see Stan Lee to come play Star Trek cards with us, so HUZZAH in my opinion.

Neil played many great games with his Borg and at one point assimilated three different personas of Bob PIcardo (Equinox Doctor, The Doctor and Revised Doctor) while he was playing Nathan. It was hilarious!

Phil Schrader was also a wonderful opponent most of the weekend and taught me a thing or two about playing the TMP team from Allegiance, so thanks for that! Charlie Beam and the Virginia crew brought great games and Greg "Tomalak" was his usual gregarious self, LOL! Also thanks to T-Ricks and his son John for making a great day of it and Michael Carter for being a blast from the past. We even had two players participate in their very first Trek tournaments with Charlie Miller and Rachel Blandon (sp?) I hope to see both of them on the forums soon.

GooeyChewie is typing up the tournament results and decklists soon (we just didn't have the time/energy/Internet connection to do it all at DragonCon) so you can check them out in the very near future.

Thanks again, everyone.

By Gooch
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Scott and Nathan, thanks for putting on a great tournament. It was lots of fun and we officially got Leslie hooked on the game...so Woot!! :) I think her BF Rachel (Boland) is hooked as well, so much for the "dead" game you referenced. It is very much alive and well thanks to all the folks that keep this thing going.

Looking forward to next time!!

By Ajnaran
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Darik wrote:x
I felt that 12 players for the Nationals championship for a "dead" game was a GREAT turnout at such an event as DragonCon.
Hear, hear! I think 12 is awesome even if the twelfth may deserve an * as a player who may in fact be surgically attached to 2E lol.

It sounds too like some cool decks appeared; I'm certainly looking forward to reading more into them once they're posted.

Congrats again on what sounded like a fun weekend of trek!
South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]