What's New Dashboard Articles Forums Chat Room Achievements Tournaments Player Map The Promenade Volunteers About Us Site Index
Article Archives
First EditionSecond EditionTribblesAll

All Categories Continuing CommitteeOrganized PlayRules CommitteeDeck DesignsVirtual Expansions
Card ExtrasSpecial EventsTournament ReportsEverything ElseSpotlight SeriesContests
Strategy Articles


Chula: Unfortunate Roll

by James "RedDwarf" Hoskin, Staff Writer

15th August 2008

Chula: Unfortunate Roll may not look like a complex dilemma, but it will be to some people. When your personnel face the dilemma, you have to randomly select three of them. If the combined Integrity of those three personnel is odd, then they are stopped.

This may not sound complex to you, but spare a thought for anyone who has trouble adding numbers together. It is fairly easy to count to ten because you can use your fingers, but how do you go higher? You could ask to borrow your opponent's fingers, but what if they refuse? You could take your shoes off, and use your toes, but what if the smell drives your opponent away? You could ask to use your opponent's feet, but that would just be weird. The only solution is to play with low Integrity personnel, so that the combined Integrity of any three personnel will never get higher than ten. Problem solved.

So how do you overcome this dilemma? A recent calculation by someone much smarter than me showed that if you were to face this dilemma with every personnel in the game, then you had a 50.9% chance of an "even" team and a 49.1% chance of an "odd" team. With those odds, you shouldn't even have to worry about this dilemma. Of course, if you aren't planning on using every personnel in the game, then those figures are useless.

If you are not sure that the dilemma will stop any personnel, you could always try re-enacting the episode on which the card is based. As soon as the dilemma is revealed, take cover underneath the table because "the dilemma told me to." While your opponent sits there wondering what just happened, tell him or her that someone has just "doubled your peril, to double their winnings." If you stay under the table long enough, your opponent is bound to call the tournament director over. At that point you can then leave your hiding place and coolly say "it's only a game."

To sum things up, this new dilemma likes things to be odd - just like this article.

Have an opinion about this card? Post it here!


Back to Archive index