For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 584 posts

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:I think they went too much into the planning of the thing that didn't even go to plan.

They built up how scary the dinosaur man was too much for him to go down too easily. Also the whole Legolas didn't have a role in it was a bit cringe. Like why even have a whole episode building the kid up if he is totally useless to the story at any single point in that story?
Damn, you raise points that I wasn't even angry about, and which I don't want to know. I don't want more anger. Too much already in the world, and IRL -- I don't need more. :P

Hopefully, the answer to your Legolas beef is: still to come; we yet have a ways to travel. :shifty:

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Actually I think showing Icheb actually being BUTCHERED shows what it took to get Seven to go down the road shes now gone. We also get the story behind her and the Butcher. You have to remember its 13 years from Icheb death to current Seven. She talks about other countless Borg "children" being butchered. Who knows what other Borg from Voyager are gone now.

Sure its a shock value, but you have to look at the whole of what was actually being done. Sure maybe they could have just "said it" but it doesnt bring the value of showing it and what horrors it actually was.

~D
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
HoodieDM wrote:Actually I think showing Icheb actually being BUTCHERED shows what it took to get Seven to go down the road shes now gone.
Not just that, but holy shitballs, the Federation didn't give a crap about one of their officers being kidnapped? It's great that they're not keeping him on a leash, but this was a bit much. I can't imagine that fourteen member worlds would threaten to leave if a rescue operation was mounted. It's looking like this series will be less about Picard getting back on the horse and more about getting the Federation back on track.

We've had Jurati be awesome with a phaser rifle and now she has sudden prowess with transporters. When will the 'crew' pick up on this? She had a good moment with Maddox, though I'm going to need some good reasons for her committing bloody murder on a citizen of the Federtation.

Whereas last week was getting all your party members, this week was the tutorial mission. It's great to see the crew adapting as they can to what the mission needs. This is a smaller crew than we've ever seen and it is great to see. Thankfully, the series had the budget for a bona fide bar, even if there were Cantina vibes. But the set dressing helped sell it. Plus, if pop up ads will last that long, I've got to make an investment.

Picard and Rios played their roles well and Stewart got to bust out a comic french accent. Stewart and Ryan had some great scenes together.

I'm getting more keen on Eloor. He's a nice twist on the observer character though he does have a deadline, which appears to have technically expired. I am hoping he'll be less childlike with his observations, but he is holding his own.

Narek and Sonji weren't in this episode and only one of them got a name check. As much 'fun' as that ice skating date was last week, they weren't here and I didn't miss them.

And this week's ready room is worth your valuable time.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: We've had Jurati be awesome with a phaser rifle and now she has sudden prowess with transporters. When will the 'crew' pick up on this?
She's former Starfleet (she was recruited to Daystrom), and I didn't think any of her exploits were terribly impressive. (She shot the guy at pretty much point-blank range, and the transporter was already set to do The Thing before they left.) I expect they're going to milk the "EMH knows but no-one listens to him" line for a while longer.
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote: We've had Jurati be awesome with a phaser rifle and now she has sudden prowess with transporters. When will the 'crew' pick up on this?
She's former Starfleet (she was recruited to Daystrom), and I didn't think any of her exploits were terribly impressive. (She shot the guy at pretty much point-blank range, and the transporter was already set to do The Thing before they left.) I expect they're going to milk the "EMH knows but no-one listens to him" line for a while longer.
Probably, but the transporter has been around for over two hundred years. It's pretty ubiquitous by now. While there are sciences that don't require expertise in that area, she's in artificial life. Printing our robots in replicators is what she does and the replicator is based on transporter technology. Plus, Raffi is former Special Ops. Granted, she was preoccupied, but there are some red flags the crew isn't seeing.
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: Granted, she was preoccupied, but there are some red flags the crew isn't seeing.
That's a function of no-one knowing her, so "skittish and a bit flaky" doesn't register as unusual behavior. For everyone except Picard, they've never seen her pre-Romulan Brain Blast so they have nothing to compare against. (And Picard only met her briefly before and promptly blew up her world, so he's not really in a position to notice anything either.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
HoodieDM wrote:Actually I think showing Icheb actually being BUTCHERED shows what it took to get Seven to go down the road shes now gone.
Not just that, but holy shitballs, the Federation didn't give a crap about one of their officers being kidnapped?
I suspect Starfleet was very concerned and had launched an investigation, but simply couldn't keep pace with the motherly rage of Seven of Nine -- and her willingness to violate jurisdictional boundaries to shoot baddies.

I'm kinda bummed Icheb came back but wasn't played by Icheb. If you're gonna kill the dude off, at least kill the guy I care about!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Probably, but the transporter has been around for over two hundred years. It's pretty ubiquitous by now. While there are sciences that don't require expertise in that area, she's in artificial life. Printing our robots in replicators is what she does and the replicator is based on transporter technology. Plus, Raffi is former Special Ops. Granted, she was preoccupied, but there are some red flags the crew isn't seeing.
Trains are pretty ubiquitous now. How many here know how to start one, let alone drive it safely from A to B? Many Starfleet personnel know some about it, but not all of them, and not fully unless they are trans techs. Depends on if, why, and how they were trained on it, I believe.

Also, she's a theoretical scientist. Yes, we're used to the scientist sience-ing everything together, on TV (even, ludicrously, cross-field); but I think IRL it is highly unusual for, say, a high-grade geneticist to be able to operate specialized functions in a laboratory; or a high-level engineer to be able to solidly solder a circuit board. (I know what I'm talking about here.) They know their way around the equipment perhaps, but aren't used to using it; they invested their time in other skills. Don't forget that practical jobs require their own training and experience to pay off successfully. That kind of operational and/or menial labour is done by lower-level, but nonetheless high-skilled personnel, that devoted years to safely operate and maintain certain equipment. The theoretical people think things up; the practical people build/use it (and advise on their practical matters during the R&D phases), working closely together. Or -- in your example -- print it out via those replicators.

At least, that's how it goes IRL. (
We see Geordi doing everything from soldering to designing -- but that's not very realistic, especially in civilian/commercial life, and/or on larger scaled organisations/ships. (The smaller the boat, the more realistic it becomes -- but then, the CE wouldn't go around designing a lot of new engines and shuttles; hence, the assigned CE tends to be less theoretical and more practical, the smaller his ship.) It is in that way, that I've been able to explain away the fact that Geordi doesn't have Trans Skill. He's the manager of a Galaxy class tug's engine dept, rated on the workings of the whole ship on systems-level -- and he has highly skilled, dedicated techs (like Miles) to turn to for Transporter ops.
)

Thus -- on several levels, perfectly possible that she doesn't feel confident with transporters.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Which reminded me, Reader --
Faithful Reader wrote:I'm getting more keen on Eloor.
He's a nice twist on the observer character
though he does have a deadline, which appears to have technically expired.
-- what do you mean with this?
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:Which reminded me, Reader --
Faithful Reader wrote:I'm getting more keen on Eloor.
He's a nice twist on the observer character
though he does have a deadline, which appears to have technically expired.
-- what do you mean with this?
Elnoor joined to help Picard find Maddox. Done and done. He could extend his tenure by following through with the greater mission of finding Sonji and even then helping make the universe better, but that's a far cry from his original mission, especially as Picard becomes more respected throughout the series.
SudenKapala wrote:Also, she's a theoretical scientist.
Theoretical? She worked with Maddox. They came close to buiding an android. It doesn't get more practical than that.
SudenKapala wrote:Trains are pretty ubiquitous now.
Trains? Compared to transporters?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Definitely got 24 vibes with Jurati but still felt reluctant to accept Maddox just being offed like that. Nobody can catch a break it seems. Going with what Takket mentioned, it'd be interesting if this was a demonstration of a mind being broken from learning the Zhat Vash's secret. If the story is going to throw that out there, this is one way of following through with it.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
Not just that, but holy shitballs, the Federation didn't give a crap about one of their officers being kidnapped?
I suspect Starfleet was very concerned and had launched an investigation, but simply couldn't keep pace with the motherly rage of Seven of Nine -- and her willingness to violate jurisdictional boundaries to shoot baddies.
Wasn't Icheb a flashback? I had the sense that Seven's been stewing on this for years.

And my understanding of the plot is that there *is* no boundary there - it's Federation space they abandoned, and the Rangers are the only things resembling law left.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'm kinda bummed Icheb came back but wasn't played by Icheb. If you're gonna kill the dude off, at least kill the guy I care about!
I hear that Manu is pissed that they didn't call him.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'm kinda bummed Icheb came back but wasn't played by Icheb. If you're gonna kill the dude off, at least kill the guy I care about!
Understandable - I'd assumed that the original actor was unavailable for whatever reason. (Or that he'd turned it down because he didn't want to get in the makeup for two lines, or they offered an insulting amount of money...)

By ias
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:
Understandable - I'd assumed that the original actor was unavailable for whatever reason. (Or that he'd turned it down because he didn't want to get in the makeup for two lines, or they offered an insulting amount of money...)
Sorry to come out of the grays, but maybe it was because of this: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/manu-in ... ty.291098/
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0