For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By golden flamingo (Richard Crandall)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was looking on eBay to get a sense of how much the old 1E tournament foils are going for, and the best I can tell, the only really expensive foil from that set is the 34th Rule of Acquisition foil. What's the story behind that? Why does it go for well over $100 when the others are far cheaper than that? Was it made during a special year?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
That was the foil for the world championships in 2001, which were canceled due to the 911 attacks. Very few made it into circulation.

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:That was the foil for the world championships in 2001, which were canceled due to the 911 attacks. Very few made it into circulation.

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.
Close. It was actually the 2000 World Championships. They were given out to everyone who made day 2, with another given out to the top 12 Finalists. Overall, that's less than 100. It's still hard to find. I sold one of my two for over $200 several years ago and still have the other one.

By Madred
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I thought they were given to everyone who registered for Deciphercon. I only remember it because it was in Orlando and the first tournament I attended. I picked mine up just before a... Hmm... I want to say warp speed sealed tournament (the only thing I played in, I really just went for the foil).

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:That was the foil for the world championships in 2001, which were canceled due to the 911 attacks.
9/11 was just the excuse. It was the time when the embezzlement stuff was hitting the fan. It was the most disgraceful thing Decipher ever did. They claimed they donated the prize money to 9/11 charities. I hope so, but I never saw a receipt and can't take that company for it's word.

Off-topic- apologies.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Everyone got one who attended The 2000 deciphercon.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote:Everyone got one who attended The 2000 deciphercon.
I think this is closer. After reading this thread and thinking about it, I think that everyone who attended had the opportunity to land a 34th rule foil, but not everybody did.

The one thing I for sure remember is that I won a full Deciphercon 2000 foil set, which consisted of 34th Rule, SWCCG Corellian Corvette and Imperial-Class Star Destroyer, and Young Jedi CCG Captain Tarpals foils.

I think players who registered for Deciphercon got to pick which games world championships they were participating in and received the corresponding foil(s).

Does anyone else remember this? If I'm right, we had 64 from day one with the top 32 moving on, and about the same number from day 2 prequalification so I think my original guess of around 100 (maybe as high as 150) isn't too far off.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
This is true. I'm just so focused on 1E that I never even thought about all The other choises. =)
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Madred wrote:I thought they were given to everyone who registered for Deciphercon. I only remember it because it was in Orlando and the first tournament I attended. I picked mine up just before a... Hmm... I want to say warp speed sealed tournament (the only thing I played in, I really just went for the foil).
This seems right to me too. My son and I both got one and we NEVER made it to any other Worlds. Sad thing, I can't find mine now, I may have traded it.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Some people like myself got two foils. That is because I registered for the convention and also worked it - checking deck lists and running tournaments. I traded my extra a long time ago for another rare Decipher foil.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Jono wrote:Some people like myself got two foils. That is because I registered for the convention and also worked it - checking deck lists and running tournaments. I traded my extra a long time ago for another rare Decipher foil.
What this really says is "Sean got paid off to DQ a bunch of high level players for not being able to count their cards" :wink: :P
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'm fairly certain I received 2 of them at the 2002 Deciphercon. I didn't win a main event, but I did win a team event and place 2nd in a warp speed. I think...

This was right as the DC Sniper stuff was going on back then. I was afraid they'd cancel the Con.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote:
Jono wrote:Some people like myself got two foils. That is because I registered for the convention and also worked it - checking deck lists and running tournaments. I traded my extra a long time ago for another rare Decipher foil.
What this really says is "Sean got paid off to DQ a bunch of high level players for not being able to count their cards" :wink: :P
Yup. lol

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thread necro!!!!!!!!!

Back in the day I became aware of the decipher tournament foils pretty much after the fact (finishing college, moving, etc...) I bought a lot of them for $20 or so but I knew the 34th rule card was the most rare of all and the prices on ebay were high and I was poor when I went looking for it!

So I asked for it for Christmas (this was probably 2002 or 2003 maybe???). My wife bought it off ebay. i don't know exactly for how much but at the time they were going for $75-$100

well i just looked and three of these have sold on ebay in the last month for $500-$600!!!!!!!!!! The other foils are still around $20.

Does anyone know why the 34th rule foil prices have exploded so high?

and i'm sure no one knows for sure, but are there really only about 100 of these in circulation as someone said earlier in this thread?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]