For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 602 posts
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Is this the reason why it's not working on my tablets for two days now?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe?
It's been working fine on my phone all weekend and this morning though...
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
It's been quite some time since anyone has posted here, so I thought I'd bump this just as a refresher in case anyone needs a reminder, or if any new players have jumped on to this game in the last year:

We have our own fleet in Star Trek: Timelines (the mobile game) It's exclusively made up of Star Trek CCG players. It's not publicly recruiting, but I accept any request to join I receive (I'm the fleet admiral). The fleet is called Continuing Committee. It's only about half full right now, so there's plenty of room to jump aboard and receive all the perks of being involved in a fleet, plus a custom chat window just for us!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've been considering this for ages. I have no games at all on my phone. If any, I'd perhaps choose this one.

(1) I'm very hesitant with permission-laden apps on my devices. (For me, e.g., any privately developed app requesting contact list or internet access is a no-go.)
Especially, with this case: "run at startup". What does this do, what element is permanently resident in the OS after boot, and why must it be... for an occasionally played game?

Also, (2) I'll not spend money on games. It has been accused of being "pay to win". Will it be not-fun, or frustrating, if I never pay anything?

I'm easy to fall into time traps. See my presence here. (3) How much time does this game cost me you per day / week? (I understand this is a ridiculously subjective question.)

How do y'all feel on these 3 points, about this game?

(Answering these positively is NOT a guarantee I'll join. So if you don't want to waste time answering, that's your cue. :thumbsup: :) )

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pm I've been considering this for ages. I have no games at all on my phone. If any, I'd perhaps choose this one.

(1) I'm very hesitant with permission-laden apps on my devices. (For me, e.g., any privately developed app requesting contact list or internet access is a no-go.)
Especially, with this case: "run at startup". What does this do, what element is permanently resident in the OS after boot, and why must it be... for an occasionally played game?
I assume that's so that it can give you notifications even when the game isn't running. (some stuff runs in the background, so it can remind you when certain things happen every 2/3 hours)
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pmAlso, (2) I'll not spend money on games. It has been accused of being "pay to win". Will it be not-fun, or frustrating, if I never pay anything?
It works just fine without pay to play. My first 2 years with an account, I didn't spend a single penny. You're not going to rank too highly in some of the events, but as long as you're willing to accept that (to get top in the events you not only need to spend money, but also spend far too many hours on a given weekend staring at your phone, I've long since accepted that as long as I have a life that just won't happen).
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pmI'm easy to fall into time traps. See my presence here. (3) How much time does this game cost me you per day / week? (I understand this is a ridiculously subjective question.)
If you want to participate heavily in an event, you can easily spend hours playing on a weekend. But that varies by event type, so hard to say. Some weekends that means spend a couple hours a day clicking stuff. Other weekends that means spend 3-4 minutes at a time on a strict schedules (every 2-3 hours).
On the average non-event day, you can run all of your daily missions in about 10 minutes (8 min once, then 2 more min a few hours later). Any time you spend after that is purely voluntary. When I have 20 min standing in line at the store, or waiting for an appointment, or whatever else, I use it to sit and grind to level up some characters or whatever, but there's no time-sink obligation that that it's purely for fun.
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pmHow do y'all feel on these 3 points, about this game?
I've played since early on, and still enjoy it, and play every day.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
I also play every day, so I basically agree with everything Mael said. But I want to add one thing. I did spend a little bit of money at some point, to get to what's called VIP level 3, just for the "Warp 10" feature. Normally running a mission (after you've fully solved it once, anyway) takes a button. Now that I have Warp 10, I can run that mission 10 times with one button. Helps make it faster to do the dailies (run 20 missions), and to grind for items when that's needed. I like the game, but I also like having a life.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I did the same. If I play a game continuously I usually try to toss in $5-$10 to support the developer. That way I "bought" the game.

:twocents:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
commdecker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 pm ... Normally running a mission (after you've fully solved it once, anyway) takes a button. Now that I have Warp 10, I can run that mission 10 times with one button. Helps make it faster to do the dailies (run 20 missions), and to grind for items when that's needed. I like the game, but I also like having a life.
I have no experience with these types of games. Now I wonder if Maelwys also mentioned this... So ideally, you "need" to tend to it every day, like... whatsitcalled, those digital pets? Tamagoshi? :P

And also, does this have a Trek-based storyline feel to it, or is it just something random with Trek pictures?

(Excuse me for being thorough, but I hate to pollute my machines with software that I abandon too soon after installing.) Wait -- is there no desktop version of the game!? That would be good to try it out first. Going to check...

Which I did. (Nope, can't find any.)
And then... I forgot to actually post this, for some days. 8)

For now, too busy with 1e, still. Hence I struck the questions, they needn't be answered for now -- saves y'all some time.

Thx for input, though! :thumbsup: I might come around to the 21st century (will have to skip the 20th) and use my phone to install random fun stuff on, one day soon. 8)

And in the mean time, I herewith did wave the flag of the Continuing Fleet again. :P
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I believe you can play via Steam and/or Facebook, both on desktop.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
You can play via FB - or at least you used to. I haven't tried for awhile...
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Yes, it's definitely available on Steam. I remember streaming it once on my PC.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Good point. Bluestacks is good - I believe it is what most of the mobile game YouTubers use to steam their games.
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]