For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By ikeya (David Kuck)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Has anyone here played Star Trek: Ascendancy yet? I'm on the fence... I love board games, I love Star Trek... is it work play and will I get it on the table often enough to justify the price of admission?
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I demoed it at Gencon, and the demo was fun enough that I bought the game. I haven't had time to actually open the shrink on it yet though. In the demo, they really pushed the idea that the game has multiple layers of strategy, both in the way you build and amass your forces and also in the way you connect the spacelines. I really liked that little bit of 1E-ness so I picked up the game.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Comicbookhero wrote:I demoed it at Gencon, and the demo was fun enough that I bought the game. I haven't had time to actually open the shrink on it yet though. In the demo, they really pushed the idea that the game has multiple layers of strategy, both in the way you build and amass your forces and also in the way you connect the spacelines. I really liked that little bit of 1E-ness so I picked up the game.
When do we get to play?

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

The game looks great and plays well, affiliation flavor comes over nicely. Currently only three players but they have expansion packs with Cardies and Ferengi coming which then allows more players. I really liked the layout of the board with its 'rotating' planets. Space travel is done well too.

Two negatives though: one round goes like this: one player does all orders until he's done then next player does all his orders. I prefer games where players do one order at a time, then the next player does an order and this goes around till everyone is done. This way you can react better to opponents' actions and there is less downtime.
Also you're not playing with any personnel from the show just ships and logos.

Another thing I would change is research, these are randomly pulled cards from your affiliation stack rather than a tech tree you can build up. Maybe that's considered in an expansion.

Overall it is a (very) light version of Twilight Imperium.

Another Trek Board game to consider is Star Trek Frontiers which combines Board Game/Exploration with deck building during the game. You also get to play with characters from the shows. It is a direct port from Chvatil's Mage Knight, WizKids just slapped Trek over it. But it means the rules and gameplay are very well tested as Mage Knight is around a long time..
I own it but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
I spotted this at Gencon but couldn't bring myself to splash $100 on it. (I had Jager to buy)

Looking forward to getting it when its out in the UK :D

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote:.
I really liked the layout of the board with its 'rotating' planets. Space travel is done well too.
Creating the universe is the games best part, just like TI. But this is better because this happens throughout the game, unlike TI where it's more like a seed phase.

Movement is meh. Warping is simple and impulse is a little clunky. You have to avoid rolling the 4-range spacelane screwjob when exploring.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
TyKajada wrote:.
I really liked the layout of the board with its 'rotating' planets. Space travel is done well too.
But this is better because this happens throughout the game, unlike TI where it's more like a seed phase.
If you like hexagon tiles flipping over while exploring, try Eclipse, it's great! Currently my favorite space game...

By JDobbs
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I know this is an old topic, but I just picked this board game up myself. ($60 on Ebay with the 50th anniversary exploration cards) I'm looking forward to playing! The Ferengi and Cardassian expansions apparently haven't been released yet but are coming the end of May 2017.. Also they Borg Invasion expansion was just announced for the fall of 2017, which seems pretty cool.

On a side note, does anyone have an extra pack of Starbase tokens from GenCon16? They were only handed out at that event and I've been trying to get a set for myself! Thanks!

J

By JDobbs
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Just an FYI, I sent an email over to GF9 regarding the delayed Cardassian and Ferengi expansions. A rep did get back to me and said that all the expansions are set for release (Including The Borg), at Gen Con in August!

Great news!

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JDobbs wrote:A rep did get back to me and said that all the expansions are set for release (Including The Borg), at Gen Con in August!
GREAT!
I got it cheap and have enjoyed it. Have only played a little. The only problem for me is it's length and complexity is beyond what my family likes so it's hard to get the games in. I have some old high school buddies I see from time to time- might try to suck them into it....

$100 is steep. But if you can get it down to $75 or below I think it's totally worth it.

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
Iron Prime wrote:
JDobbs wrote:A rep did get back to me and said that all the expansions are set for release (Including The Borg), at Gen Con in August!
GREAT!
I got it cheap and have enjoyed it. Have only played a little. The only problem for me is it's length and complexity is beyond what my family likes so it's hard to get the games in. I have some old high school buddies I see from time to time- might try to suck them into it....

$100 is steep. But if you can get it down to $75 or below I think it's totally worth it.
If you want to find it for a more reasonable price, check out Cool Stuff Inc: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/227125
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
TyKajada wrote:
KillerB wrote: But this is better because this happens throughout the game, unlike TI where it's more like a seed phase.
If you like hexagon tiles flipping over while exploring, try Eclipse, it's great! Currently my favorite space game...
Xia is another good space-exploration-hex-tile-flipping game.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Did anyone ever pick up the expansions for Cardassians and Ferengi? I had a blast playing this recently with some old friends and I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab these expansions. also: It looks like Vulcan and Andorian expansions may be on the way!

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.