For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 454 posts

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
I noticed you working on it because all of the unearned achievements (the ones that should be visible) have disappeared.

For example - if I earned a play "X" affiliation 5 times achievement - I can not see now there is an unearned play "X" affiliation 10 times achievement.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
BCSWowbagger wrote:I can't promise daily updates, but I think Johnny Holeva has done a great job lifting the veil on his CC work and has been a model of transparency, so I will try to do the same. When I do things, I'll let you know about them. Also, when I break things, which I do constantly, you'll know how I got there.

3. To test my theory, I am writing SQL for two achievements today: Replicant Player and Do Tribbles Dream of Electric Sheep? (which is the "win a tournament with" version of Replicant Player). If I am successful, everyone eligible for these achievements will receive them overnight. I chose this group partly because it's a very simple achievement, but mostly because CrimsonRavage was the only person to give me an actual deck ID to work with. Thanks, Crimson: enjoy your 5-point reward tonight. (Hopefully!)

4. If that works, we'll go forward from there. Slowly.

5. Matt, did the people who were improperly awarded achievements earlier this week have them revoked when the job ran last night? They should have been, if I read the code correctly, I wasn't able to find an example to check in time.

6. Due to a typo ("=" instead of "==") you were all achievement admins from midnight last night until 10 AM this morning. Thanks, edgeofhearing, for letting me know about it. Fixed now.
It worked! ... as I got my gold trophies for both Replicant Player and Do Tribbles Dream of Electric Sheep?

The thing I mentioned about not seeing achievements that should be visible is still there (just so you know).

Also, both the Replicant Player and Do Tribbles Dream of Electric Sheep? achievements are missing their icon image (like the 2016 Regional and 2016 Continental achievements.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Just judging by my own list, the double-2016 awards are gone as they should be. If you want an example to look at, one of mine was Tribbles in the Fleet (aka 50mil). My dashboard still thinks I got them, but that's okay enough.

Like others have said, big thanks for working on this.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Jono wrote:Also, both the Replicant Player and Do Tribbles Dream of Electric Sheep? achievements are missing their icon image (like the 2016 Regional and 2016 Continental achievements.
I think the database doesn't have the correct images stored for those achievements. When I try to view them, it takes me to a non-existent link.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Jono wrote:It worked! ... as I got my gold trophies for both Replicant Player and Do Tribbles Dream of Electric Sheep?

:D

I'll keep trying to do one family per day-ish, starting Monday. (Busy weekend.) (Also I have a tourney next Saturday, so I can't promise deckbuilding won't take precedence for a few days.)
commdecker wrote:Just judging by my own list, the double-2016 awards are gone as they should be.
CrimsonRavage wrote:I think the database doesn't have the correct images stored for those achievements. When I try to view them, it takes me to a non-existent link.
:(

Looking in the /images directory, it doesn't look like the proper image files are even in there. My weekend is pretty busy, but, on Monday-ish, I'll write to the people who should have these assets and see whether I can get a copy.
Jono wrote:I noticed you working on it because all of the unearned achievements (the ones that should be visible) have disappeared.
:(

I have no idea why the unearned achievements have disappeared. I haven't touched that page, much less that code. But, you're right: they definitely are gone. So... I'll be looking into that, then!
 -  
Community Contributor
Sorry that I've been quiet. I've been building a test instance of the CC website, so I can make changes without constantly breaking production. That's finished now, or at least finished enough that I can work on achievements again.

I'm also writing a little utility to make it easier to write the achievement queries. Which means no achievement queries are actually being written right now, but, once it's done, the long-term sustainability of the achievements system will be improved.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Can you (or anyone) give me the name of a broken achievement and a specific deck that should have already earned it? More examples than that are welcome, too.

Don't know if you still need more examples:

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ckID=30907

Shows it qualifies for Alone in the Uncharted, yet it didn't earn it.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Jono wrote: The thing I mentioned about not seeing achievements that should be visible is still there (just so you know).
This is still happenign for me as well, I have no clue what type of deck i need to build for tomarrow :( since i cant tell what I'm missing, and what those achievements needs :(

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Worf Son of Mogh wrote: This is still happenign for me as well, I have no clue what type of deck i need to build for tomarrow :( since i cant tell what I'm missing, and what those achievements needs :(
Just do what I do: go to Ken Tuft's profile page and look for the one's you don't have.

Oh wait...

-  
Community Contributor
Alright, so there's a bunch of issues with achivements, at this point, and I'm just going to list them to make sure I have them all and am prioritizing them correctly. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.
  • Unearned achievements menu is blank. [Medium priority, probable low repair effort]
  • I just turned off all deck-based achievement checks because they were taking down the entire site [High priority, high effort]
  • Nightly achievement checks have been weird for a few days (Elveez, hoss-drone above) (related to above?) [High priority, medium effort, but requires a fix for achievement checks overall]
  • Achievements from May 2016 still aren't working [Medium priority, high effort]
  • Ability to view others' achievement lists may be broken or partially broken [low priority, low effort]
  • New achievements are missing images [low priority, low effort]
I'm pretty much going to go down the list in that order. It will take some time, and I apologize in advance for the inconvenience.
 -  
Community Contributor
Update: anguss has offered his expertise as a backend SQL developer to help identify problems with the achievement queries which caused the site to slow down, and is currently going over a representative achievement query with a fine-toothed comb.

It's looking more like the problem may have been caused by a lack of memory to store temp tables, which the achievement queries rely on. Theoretically, we can treat the symptoms by expanding the memory allocation (on the SQL side) and limiting the number of simultaneous achievement checks (on the PHP side). anguss is also finding ways to optimize the achievement queries so they don't need as much memory in the first place, and we are working to determine the optimal memory allocation.

The root cause -- why this suddenly happened this week -- remains an open question.

At this writing, achievement checks for newly created or edited decks remain offline.
 -  
Community Contributor
Question: do we need the achievement calcs to be live?

Seems like that's something that could be dialed back to save processor time - perhaps to a button on the deckbuilder for "show me what this deck qualifies for"?
 -  
Community Contributor
Update: "Unearned achievements" are back. User_id was being reset improperly, causing a security check in the Unearned Achivements script to say, "Hang on, these aren't your achievements!" and abort. The issue with not being able to view others' achievement lists had the same cause. Both are now corrected.
AllenGould wrote:Seems like that's something that could be dialed back to save processor time - perhaps to a button on the deckbuilder for "show me what this deck qualifies for"?
This is a possibility. It's been really nice the last 24 hours being able to check skill counts without waiting on the page to do a full-scale achievement check.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]