For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
At least you guys get Disco on Netflix. Not putting on Netflix in America is my biggest beef with the new show. I already pay for 2 streaming services. I'm not paying for a 3rd just to watch Trek.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
jadziadax8 wrote:At least you guys get Disco on Netflix. Not putting on Netflix in America is my biggest beef with the new show. I already pay for 2 streaming services. I'm not paying for a 3rd just to watch Trek.
I only have Netflix. That has to suffice.

All those new streaming services ... meeeh ...

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Overall, a fantastic season.

I loved the episodic nature of the first half, and the characterisation of the second half.

Pike is an obvious A+. that Talos episode was just outstanding and a fitting middle chapter to his story with the Talosians and Vina.

That chair scene stands out as one of the finest Trek moments ever for me. Up there with Picard breaking down in Brothers. His reaction was haunting and real. The fact that he now knows whats a coming and that he chooses that fate establishes him as a classic Trek Captain.

The Ba'ul were perfectly used. Everything from the distorted vocal thing on the viewscreen while they spoke, the ominous sharp edged ships, the pillars, the build up of dread with the light coming from over the hill. All before we even see the creature. Once we see them, they were just fucking creepy. Discoverys first new alien bad guys paid off well.

Spock and Burnham worked really well together. Their bickering was natural and funny. He's no Leonard Nimoy (who is tbh) but Peck was a millions times better than Qunto. I'd be happy to Peck as Spock again.

Burnham is both good and bad. I'm not a fan of the way she does her monolouges / logs. was it a mistake to make her Vulcan raised? Probably. But when she shows emotion, Sonequa can fucking act! All of her best scenes seem to be in sickbay.

I'm glad Control didn't end up being the Borg.

Enterprise is gorgeous!!!!!

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
I have just seen the short treks (4 of them on the Netflix page - not sure whether there are more of them) and the one with Harry Mudd is by far the best. A really great epizode, especially the ending is hilarious. :thumbsup:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:At least you guys get Disco on Netflix. Not putting on Netflix in America is my biggest beef with the new show. I already pay for 2 streaming services. I'm not paying for a 3rd just to watch Trek.
If I wouldn't fully understand that decision, I'd ask you to please resign from the board (and you'd say no) for such imputence, haha! But it's quite the commerce these days...
But, so, like me, you haven't see anything yet?? Our time will come. :wink:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
I binged Season 1 on a 3-day commercial-free trial last year. I expect to do the same with Season 2 in the next couple of weeks.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm lucky I know somebody that lets me watch on their Netflix :D

Also have all the other Trek too. It's awesome being able to watch any episode on demand.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
I do love that about Netflix.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:Also have all the other Trek too. It's awesome being able to watch any episode on demand.
Indeed. I love that about my media collection, too! :) No waiting (except for animated menus), nor cliffhangers, nor commercials.

But did I understand correctly -- do some your streaming services have commercials?
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Suden Kapala wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:Also have all the other Trek too. It's awesome being able to watch any episode on demand.
Indeed. I love that about my media collection, too! :) No waiting (except for animated menus), nor cliffhangers, nor commercials.

But did I understand correctly -- do some your streaming services have commercials?
CBS All Access has a couple of levels you can purchase - the cheaper one with commercials and the more expensive one without.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Now that the season's over, I started my binge so I will only be angry for 1 week instead of 15.

So far, though, I'm not angry! "Brother" was a fun action thingy that verged on Star Trek, and "New Eden," while utterly devoid of anything innovative or fresh, was a perfectly competent and very pretty by-the-numbers Trek story, right down to the A/B plot structuring. This demonstrates that the writers are at least capable of recognizing an episode of Star Trek, even though the execution was at the level of "lazy mid-season early-Voyager filler." Heck, the simple fact that Burnham acted like a gorram Starfleet officer for the first time in her gorram life (twice! when she obeys the Prime Directive and when she tells Pike about the angel!) almost makes this paint-by-numbers episode a major character development. And there wasn't much lazy mid-season early-Voyager filler that guest starred Andrew Moodie (#SaveDarkMatter), so bonus. Also, I liked Pike last week, but I think I adore him now.

I also saw "Calypso" and liked that a lot. Short Treks don't have room to be too high-concepty, but this one packed a lot in and gave us two really touching character portraits in an utterly haunting atmosphere. And there's just a few hints that Discovery is "holding position" in that cloud for a reason, not just abandonment? Like, Zora's not an idiot, and, if she was clinging to her last orders and the hope out of the crew's return out of sheer delusion, What'sHisName would have pressed him on it. Hands-down the best thing Disco has shown me to date, up there with some of the better episodes of TNG Season 2.

So, last night was a good night for James. I'm really hoping this means Disco Season 2 turned the corner and figured out how to write a minimally competent television series, which is all I really need to be content with it (and shows promise for a future of an actual good series). We'll find out!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:

CBS All Access has a couple of levels you can purchase - the cheaper one with commercials and the more expensive one without.
Ah, OK. Interesting to know. Facepalm for commercials, though. I've not had cable-/whatever-TV for more than 2 decades, and when I am forced to watch commercials elsewhere, I really can't stand them at all. Obviously they take some serious getting-used-to and/or numbing-down. :?
I've never heard of Netflix here to have commercials, though. (And know nothing of other platforms.)

[/off-topic]
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
You know that the major carriers are all creating their own services. With exclusive content.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Now that the season's over, I started my binge so I will only be angry for 1 week instead of 15.
Sorry you're not angry yet. Enjoy the ride.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Also, I liked Pike last week, but I think I adore him now.
You'll want to watch The Menagerie before you get too far into it. Don't worry, they'll put up a sign to let you know.
BCSWowbagger wrote:I also saw "Calypso" and liked that a lot.
The third episode is a good prequel to *Spoiler*. You'll know it when you see it. Plus, the first will have a payoff if you watch it before the finale. Fantastic performance by Wiseman.
BCSWowbagger wrote:So, last night was a good night for James. I'm really hoping this means Disco Season 2 turned the corner and figured out how to write a minimally competent television series, which is all I really need to be content with it (and shows promise for a future of an actual good series). We'll find out!
Being fair, the behind the scenes problem with season one reared it's ugly head again this season. But you'll like where it leads off to.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
"Point of Light" - I am very grateful to the producers for taking the very worst parts of Discovery and dumping them into a single storyline that I hope I can ignore. Tyler, L'Rell, Georgiou, and Section 31, all cordoned off into one corner of the storyline? Yes, please. For your next trick, please kill all of them. Any episode with an A/B/C structure is going to have trouble giving any of them legs, but I found Tilly's Ghost compelling and I was grateful that they didn't make us spend five or six episodes of Tilly trying to hide it and messing up her life because of it (which is what Galactica would've done). Just admit what's going on! And she did! Good writing choice. The Red Angel stuff was mostly exposition, but well done for what it was. The whole thing was worth it for Amanda's kiss-and-stalk-off bit at the end, which was very interesting viewing.

"The Escape Artist" - eh, it was fine. Exactly what it said on the tin, Rainn Wilson being zesty and some pretty sharp direction. The script didn't have space to lift off The android thing felt like an extremely weird homage to "I, Mudd," but it was really just weird. Particularly because this guy bears little resemblance to Harcourt Fenton Mudd, and turning him into a regicide only makes it weirder.

"An Obol for Charon" - well, I'm flattered that the producers of Discovery saw fit to use the plot of an episode of Starship Excelsior (Season 4x01 "Picking Up The Pieces") here. Excelsior handled the big revelation ("it's not trying to kill us! it's just trying to communicate!) better and tied it into character motives more, but Discovery was off trying to do things with Saru, and I like Saru a lot. And, hey, the core idea is classic Trek. Lower your shields and smile at the unknown a little and the unknown will smile back. That's why I put it in Excelsior. Delightful to see Discovery finally getting the same idea. (I know the Discovery producers didn't actually borrow the plot of an Excelsior episode. Just our sound effect library. :) )

The Tower of Babel trick was marvelous, one of those things you can't believe Trek didn't do decades ago once you see it. It's very good that Saru isn't dead, but I'm worried they just robbed him of the thing that made him distinct from other humanoids. (Although, gotta admit, it's not like the story was doing anything interesting with his threat ganglia anyway.)

And, side note, I really like this universe's Chris Pike. I find it impossible to accept that this Chris Pike is the same person as the Prime Universe's brooding, distant Captain Chris Pike -- and, honestly, why didn't they just make him somebody else, if they're going to abandon everything that made Pike Pike? -- but he's a good captain and an inspiring leader. Better than Archer, so far, and I'm not an Archer hater.

All these episodes are thumbs up from me. Keep it going, Discovery! Listen to your heart! Keep cracking little jokes! (We know you watch The Orville!) Keep embracing Gene's Vision! Let Captain Pike run everything forever! Kill everyone in the Voq subplot!

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:"Calypso"
Yeah, I was blown away by this Short
BCSWowbagger wrote:Hands-down the best thing Disco has shown me to date, up there with some of the better episodes of TNG Season 2.

Remember that TNG season 2 wields some of the shows finest episodes :D

I hope that there's more 'stand alone' Shorts like this in the future.
BCSWowbagger wrote:(and shows promise for a future of an actual good series)
Glad you're enjoying what you see so far. Story wise, the first half of this season is untouchable.

However, I have a feeling that after Project Daedalus, the main season arc properly kicks in, and you'll no doubt get a bit more critical of the story and writing. But it's all worthwhile for the great character work, especially the Burnham/Spock dynamic. These two actors bounce off each other really well. There's a moment with Pike that stands out as one of Treks finest moments
BCSWowbagger wrote:and I like Saru a lot.
Sarus character takes a very interesting turn after this, with some cracking scenes with Pike.
BCSWowbagger wrote:And, side note, I really like this universe's Chris Pike. I find it impossible to accept that this Chris Pike is the same person as the Prime Universe's brooding, distant Captain Chris Pike -- and, honestly, why didn't they just make him somebody else, if they're going to abandon everything that made Pike Pike? -- but he's a good captain and an inspiring leader. Better than Archer, so far, and I'm not an Archer hater.
I found he fits into prime perfectly.

At the end of Brother, he mentions the five year mission took a toll on the crew and himself. Cage Pike was unsure of himself, aggressive and likely had a drink problem. People can change in a few years, so he got his mojo back by the time he appears in Disco.

Also, Watch Menagerie again after season 2, you'll interpret Beep Pike in a different way, for the better.
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]